PDA

View Full Version : My perception about the convention/ delegates...

justinc.1089
02-10-2008, 05:55 PM
I hate to be negative but I keep hearing all this talk about how we could get the nomination by having the most delegates or whatever, and I can't help but think if that was the case how could a candidate averaging about 11-12% of the vote possibly get the nomination?

Even if its possible it seems like it would not happen just because of all the resistance there would be by other candidates' supporters. I would love to see it happen, and hope it does, but this just doesn't seem realistic to me so maybe you guys out there talking about this could explain this a little better as to how it could actually happen....:confused:

gerryb
02-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Truthfully, everyone wanted to vote for Ron Paul - there are only two things stopping them.

1) The "He isn't electable" crap from the Old Media.
2) his staunch opposition to the Bush Doctrine which Republicans have been indoctrinated to support to tow the party line.

Once those two issues are Overcome By Events, Ron Paul is the clear choice for Republicans.

We only need enough delegates there to sway the support of the others.

justinc.1089
02-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Aren't most of the delegates already supporters of some candidate though? Or just generally neo-conservative at least? I don't see many of them changing their minds to vote for Paul.

SwanMaiden
02-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Aren't most of the delegates already supporters of some candidate though? Or just generally neo-conservative at least? I don't see many of them changing their minds to vote for Paul.

I think that depends on their reasons for supporting another candidate. You must realize that much of the support for other candidates is based on wrong perceptions and falsehoods, and generally not NEARLY so committed and passionate as ours.

For example, two days ago I converted a seemingly hard core McCain supporter, by systematically, logically, and easily shooting down every half-hearted argument he presented. They occurred in the following order. "Ron Paul is crazy." "Ron Paul is a Libertarian, not a Republican." "I hate Hillary, and I think McCain is the only one who could beat her." (This last laughable assertion was the easiest to debunk).

I think passionate and well informed Paul delegates have at least a decent shot at convincing some other candidates delegates.

Carole
02-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Even though not winning in the straw voting, Dr. Paul is often coming out ahead in delegates. The more the better, and they can help sway other delegates to get behind Dr. Paul at the convention.

For now the caucuses represent the best opportunity to gather delegates. So getting people who are RP supporters to the caucuses is very important and essential in order get the upper hand in acquiring delegates. Either by stealth, cunning, or whatever get RP supporters to be delegates. :)