PDA

View Full Version : What's the reason for showing as uncommitted again? (WA)

Jeremy
02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
So supposedly we won WA because some RP people are showing up as Uncommitted. Why did they want to do this again?

bcreps85
02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Supposedly they didn't *want* to. They were trying to hide who they supported to help them become delegates, and because of this some of them were afraid to write who they were supporting on the sign-in sheet as they entered their caucus locations. This resulted in us getting a lot of delegates, but then they used that list to tally up the votes for each candidate on the straw-poll supposedly, which wasn't disclosed to people beforehand. I'm pretty sure that they believed they would be able to vote in private later for their candidate, and didn't want anything public for supporters of other candidates to use against them.

This is my understanding at least.

gaazn
02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
underplayed their hand and underestimated the lack of support for mccain.

Lord Xar
02-10-2008, 03:24 PM
well, we did this twice now and to me, its a stupid gambit.

why? If ALL would have committed, we would have won TWO STATES and the MSM would have been ALL OVER IT!!!

WE allowed ourselves to loose precious media attention.

ClockwiseSpark
02-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Supposedly they didn't *want* to. They were trying to hide who they supported to help them become delegates, and because of this some of them were afraid to write who they were supporting on the sign-in sheet as they entered their caucus locations. This resulted in us getting a lot of delegates, but then they used that list to tally up the votes for each candidate on the straw-poll supposedly, which wasn't disclosed to people beforehand. I'm pretty sure that they believed they would be able to vote in private later for their candidate, and didn't want anything public for supporters of other candidates to use against them.

This is correct.

DontFret
02-10-2008, 03:37 PM
It is NOT stupid. The MSM will NEVER be all over anything that benefits Ron Paul. They are the ones that originally created his 'unelectable' persona after Iowa, despite the 10% he got there and the amazing fundraising numbers he had.

This is all about delegates now and nothing else. There will NEVER be momentum to be had through the MSM, even if a popular vote victory happens for him in a state. Uncommitted delegate status is not a gamble, on the contrary it is the only wise strategy to pursue.

If you think the MSM will ever provide momentum for the Paul campaign (or that they would have to based upon a particular state result) then you just haven't been paying close enough attention...

IntruderII
02-10-2008, 03:45 PM
It seems a bit silly to be as well. Aren't we required to win 4 states to even be a contender in a brokered convention?

4RP08inKCMO
02-10-2008, 03:46 PM

Thank you.

I've been trying to get someone to explain this to me since last night. I'm still a little disappointed, but at least now I understand what went down.

Avalon
02-10-2008, 03:47 PM
It is NOT stupid. The MSM will NEVER be all over anything that benefits Ron Paul. They are the ones that originally created his 'unelectable' persona after Iowa, despite the 10% he got there and the amazing fundraising numbers he had.

This is all about delegates now and nothing else. There will NEVER be momentum to be had through the MSM, even if a popular vote victory happens for him in a state. Uncommitted delegate status is not a gamble, on the contrary it is the only wise strategy to pursue.

If you think the MSM will ever provide momentum for the Paul campaign (or that they would have to based upon a particular state result) then you just haven't been paying close enough attention... THANK YOU! Another person gets it!

Avalon
02-10-2008, 03:51 PM
It seems a bit silly to be as well. Aren't we required to win 4 states to even be a contender in a brokered convention?
We need to have the majority of delegates from 5 states/territories. Depending on the outlay of delegates we won last night we may be able to sweep all the WA delegates from the state convention but we won't win any from the WA primary (so we need to get as many people to vote for Huck there as possible).

ClockwiseSpark
02-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I was invited to help count the delegates and go over the paperwork from the caucuses. I want to report that things were handled extremely well. All sheets were held by the correct officials and were counted with witnesses. I was one of those witnesses. I helped count all the delegate votes from Bloedel Donovan. I listened while Chet Dow reported to the state... I saw all the numbers and the sign in sheets and they matched what he reported.

Here is how Whatcom County GOP reported:

78 Huckabee
60 Paul
47 McCain
34 Undecided
20 Romney

9 precincts were not turned in to the state yet. The state only asks for those caucuses that were pooled at more than 2 precincts. I feel extremely confident that the rules were followed and that all votes were counted based upon the rules of the caucus. These nine will be included at the county convention.

With a Huckabee supporter I took an "unofficial" check of those who signed presidential preference for those who signed in at Bloedel Donovan. We only looked at RP, Huck and McCain. At Bloedel people signed in as follows:

Huck 82
Ron Paul 93
McCain 51

Remember that most of the "elected" PCOs are for Huck and they are automatic delegates. If you were elected delegate you have the opportunity at county convention to change people's votes.

From what I'm hearing this was the norm at most of the caucuses.

Just keep in mind that some of the undecided are ours and some of the Huckabee supporters will be ours. All in all I think it looks pretty good. :)

Richandler
02-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Huckabee as won more than a couple states and the media is still declaring that John McCain will win the nomination. Winning 2 state straw polls would not help us.

bcreps85
02-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Huckabee as won more than a couple states and the media is still declaring that John McCain will win the nomination. Winning 2 state straw polls would not help us.

Yes, but McCain got nothing yesterday as I understand it. The combination of us making small victories here and there and him not winning anything does help. Still, we must work harder!