PDA

View Full Version : Maryland=winner take all?

acroso
02-10-2008, 02:19 PM
yes no?

jumpyg1258
02-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Maybe so?

pathis
02-10-2008, 02:29 PM
This was the info I found:

(a) Each of the delegates to the 2008 Republican National Convention
representing a Congressional District shall be bound to vote for the candidate
for the office of President of the United States who receives the highest
number of votes within the delegate’s Congressional District in the 2008
Maryland Republican Primary Election.

(b) All of the remaining delegates to the 2008 Republican National Convention
shall be bound to vote for the candidate for the office of President of the
United State who receives the highest number of votes in the State of
Maryland in the 2008 Maryland Republican Primary Election.

and Richard Pryce Matthews clarification:

4 delegates are bound to vote as their districts vote. 10 delegates are picked at the Maryland State Convention and are bound to vote as the entire State votes

So it looks like RP has a chance if he gets enough delegates going to the State Convention? Im really not sure.

JulioForPaul
02-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Is there a Congressional District that RP has a lot of support in that could pull off an upset?

Are there any current polls for Maryland? I haven't found any.

zadrock
02-10-2008, 02:46 PM
3 delegates per district * 8 districts = 24 delegates
10 at large delegates
3 superdelegates
Total: 37 delegates

10 at large delegates vote for state-wide winner on first (and maybe second) ballot
district delegates vote for district winner on first (and maybe second) ballot
not sure about superdelegates, but those are RNC people anyway - probably not RP fans

long story short: NO we are NOT winner take all
PLEASE vote RP on Tuesday- we have a chance at winning some districts

I understand the "Vote Huck" strategy for VA, with their 63 winner-take-all delegates, but it DOES NOT apply to MD.

DO NOT vote for Huck on Tuesday in MD unless you really want a President who wants to change the Constitution into the Bible while raising your taxes and bombing Iran to the gates of hell. But if that's what you want, why are you here reading this? You must be lost - go here, but thanks for visiting: www.hucksarmy.com

Z

zadrock
02-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Is there a Congressional District that RP has a lot of support in that could pull off an upset?

Are there any current polls for Maryland? I haven't found any.

Impossible to say at this point. People are receptive to his messsage, which is good. But at this point, we've got the whole 'but can he win' thing? On top of that, you have idiots here saying to vote Huck, but we're not WTA, so that's stupid. (FWIW, I don't think it's a stupid strategy for VA, although I don't know that I could actually pull the trigger for Huck, but that's another topic for another thread.)

No predictions, just gotta GOTV on Tuesday.

Z

tamor
02-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Maryland info from ronpaul2008

You can only vote for Ron Paul in the Maryland primary election if you are registered Republican.

Ron Paul has a full slate of Delegates and Alternate Delegates on Maryland’s primary ballot!

Please print out and copy these names and vote for only these delegates and alternate delegates in Maryland’s Primary on Feb.12.
Action Items
1) Vote for Ron Paul in the Maryland Republican Primary on Feb. 12, 2008

2) In order to make sure that he is represented properly at the convention, vote for delegates and alternate delegates who are authorized by Ron Paul — and only those who are so authorized!

Each Maryland Congressional District can send three elected delegates and three elected alternate delegates to the Republican Convention in the fall. These delegates and alternates will be listed on the primary ballot on Feb. 12, 2008.

Every person who votes in the primary, in addition for voting for Ron Paul, can vote for three delegates and three alternates. If the next Republican Convention is a split convention, these delegates will play a decisive role in determining the presidential nominee, which is why it is crucial that Ron Paul supporters vote only for delegates who are also Ron Paul supporters.

zadrock
02-10-2008, 03:31 PM
About the delegate selection process - here in MD they are elected as part of the primary. I know a lot of states have caucuses or conventions to elect their delegates, and with low turnout, it seems relatively easy to get RP delegates. (At least that's the impression I get from these forums.)

There is a convention to select the 10 at large delegates - I think it's in May. But the other 24 (and alternates) will be selected on Tuesday via the primary.

Z

tekkierich
02-10-2008, 06:30 PM
All of this "strategic voting, lesser of two evils" is how we got into the mess we are in.

Lets keep it simple. Vote for Ron Paul. The bigger his vote total the better our chances in the future to attract candidates and votes to our issues.