PDA

View Full Version : Cheney gets tough on gun-rights case

ChickenHawk
02-10-2008, 02:18 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23075904/

coastie
02-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I honestly dont know what to think of this, as I m actually very surprised.

I dont know, somethings up, because this doesnt seem to be the Cheney that I've researched....

Conservative Christian
02-10-2008, 09:58 PM
It IS an election year. ;)

He's just trying to make it look like the neocon controlled Republican party is "on our side". :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the old Tommy Edwards song from 1958---"It's All in the Game". :)

Mini-Me
02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
He just doesn't want them taking his gun away for shooting his friend ;)

tekkierich
02-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I am challenging my opponent for not signing this brief

http://www.richardmatthews.org/read/?For-the-Record-Matthews-Would-Sign-the-DC-vs-Heller-Amicus-Brief-3762

ChickenHawk
02-11-2008, 12:13 AM
It IS an election year. ;)

He's just trying to make it look like the neocon controlled Republican party is "on our side". :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the old Tommy Edwards song from 1958---"It's All in the Game". :)

Cheney has always been rabidly pro gun. During the 2000 campaign he got a lot of crap for being one of only a small handful of Congressmen who voted against a ban on "cop killer bullets". When asked about why he voted against it even though it was supported by the NRA he said "I guess I'm not in the pocket of the NRA".

Conservative Christian
02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Cheney has always been rabidly pro gun. During the 2000 campaign he got a lot of crap for being one of only a small handful of Congressmen who voted against a ban on "cop killer bullets". When asked about why he voted against it even though it was supported by the NRA he said "I guess I'm not in the pocket of the NRA".

You obviously have more faith in neocon repubs than I do. :D

Cheney is from the sparsely populated "red state" of Wyoming, where a substantial percentage of the people are pro-gun. So when he was the "at large" congressman from Wyoming years ago, he voted the way he HAD to, in order to stay in office.

The late Senator Frank Church of Idaho was a flaming liberal on virtually every issue EXCEPT gun control. He had a very good record regarding second amendment issues, but that's only because much of his Idaho constituency was strongly pro-gun.

If Church had been a Senator in Massachusetts, you can bet your bottom dollar his voting record on gun issues would be somewhere along the lines of Ted Kennedy or Charles Schumer.

During the 2000 election season, Cheney made a statement to the effect that he might change his vote on so-called "cop-killer" bullets if it occurred today, and openly supported mandatory trigger locks.

Cheney and Church were strong on second amendment issues during their House and Senate days out of political necessity, not personal conviction.

Cheney has done virtually nothing to combat anti-second amendment individuals/actions in the Bush administration and federal government.

I haven't heard him protesting the anti-gun measures in legislation like the Patriot Act, etc. I haven't seen him lift a finger to stop the increasing controls on gun dealers and gun shows.

Believe what you want, but I trust Dick Cheney about as far as somebody could throw him.

ChickenHawk
02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I would agree that his votes in congress may well have had a lot to do with who he was representing. I do think that he is very pro-gun and would not likely support strict gun control even if it was the popular thing to do. I could very well be wrong though.