PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Delegates

Jodi
02-10-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't know the laws regarding this so I'm just asking. What if all RP delegates in a revolt vote for Ron Paul at national? Regardless of whether they are bound to do so or not. What would happen???

Kludge
02-10-2008, 10:52 AM
McCain would still have the votes he needs and get nomination.

morlhzd
02-10-2008, 10:54 AM
but what if the whole national convention started chanting - Ron Paul Ron Paul

Jodi
02-10-2008, 11:19 AM
How would mccain still win?

Alawn
02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't know the laws regarding this so I'm just asking. What if all RP delegates in a revolt vote for Ron Paul at national? Regardless of whether they are bound to do so or not. What would happen???

Ron Paul would win. Nothing would be able to change that. But your state might get mad at you and they could possibly punish you somehow depending on the rules.

zahirakids
02-10-2008, 11:30 AM
McCain would still have the votes he needs and get nomination.

I think he is saying that if delegates bound to McCain voted for Ron Paul and he won on the first ballot.

I don't know. I do know that in the 70's an electoral collage delegate broke ranks and gave an electoral vote to the Libertarian candidate.

Jodi
02-10-2008, 11:41 AM
But I am asking what would happen if the RP supporters voted for Ron on the first ballot. What would the consequences be?

affa
02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
But I am asking what would happen if the RP supporters voted for Ron on the first ballot. What would the consequences be?

Different by state, I believe.

I have a feeling the people that will be going will know their options.

Surfer Dude
02-10-2008, 11:49 AM
1) Since the people who voted in the primaries didn't vote for Paul, they would revolt against this tactic. It would be looked upon as a coup, and entirely undemocratic.

2) The Republican Committee would also revolt, and refuse to recognize Paul. No GOP monies would go to Paul. McCain would still run as The Republican Nominee, and the media would have a legit excuse to censure all mention of Paul.

3) The perception of deceit would be laid upon Paul and his supporters, and would destroy our movement forever.

4) Paul would not accept a nomination under such deceptive circumstances. Paul is a man of law.

TXcarlosTX
02-10-2008, 11:55 AM

hell yeah!!!!! ron paul delegates refuse to vote. that would be gangster. and we stay there a week holding out, until they let us vote for ron. haha

JS4Pat
02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Ron Paul would win. Nothing would be able to change that. But your state might get mad at you and they could possibly punish you somehow depending on the rules.

GOOD - the madder my state GOP establishment is at me the better I feel and the more convinced I will be that I am doing the right thing. ;)

I have no problem with this approach...

kyleAF
02-10-2008, 12:11 PM
http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?Guid=a4cc4fcb-6043-4af2-860a-41ae912a2c42

The Party and Convention rules... Read them.

MrZach
02-10-2008, 12:18 PM

They would be called out of order and possibly be expelled - totally "legal" because this isn't governed by US laws, its governed by the ruling body of the GOP and the rules already set. Besides, it is quite likely that committed votes aren't cast, they're just pre-counted.