PDA

View Full Version : This was not a good year for RP to win the nomination.

klamath
02-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Let's face it the democrats are going to win this election whether or not RP was on the ballot. Obama, inless something huge comes out about him is going to win a landslide.
Whom ever is carrying the flag in November for the Republicans will become a diry word to the party for leading them to defeat. Who better to have this happen to than a warhawk liberal Republican? The recriminations will be huge. When the democratic utopia hasn't arrived in four years the Americans will be searching and it won't be for a liberal or a warhawk.

dima7b
02-10-2008, 10:50 AM
I am being realistic and optimistic here but who says it's over? The convention isn't until september and anything can happen between then.

brandon
02-10-2008, 10:50 AM
After 4 years of a dem equally as terrible as bush, Americans will forget they hate the republican party. This is bad news, it will make the establishment in the GOP stronger.

Dave Pedersen
02-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Let's face it. The media is totally corrupt and the voting system is totally corrupt. If you want to face something face that. This election cycle was a very good opportunity to win but for the corruption which has apparently been impossible to surmount.

constitutional
02-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Let's face it the democrats are going to win this election whether or not RP was on the ballot. Obama, inless something huge comes out about him is going to win a landslide.
Whom ever is carrying the flag in November for the Republicans will become a diry word to the party for leading them to defeat. Who better to have this happen to than a warhawk liberal Republican? The recriminations will be huge. When the democratic utopia hasn't arrived in four years the Americans will be searching and it won't be for a liberal or a warhawk.

people are hypocrites, on one side they scream the election is set for Hillary to win and then they change mind saying obama.

Laughable.

The truth is, we can't afford a democrat or a warhawk republican. We can't afford them financially. It sucks how much implication the dumb ass americans put on president to run this country. Hey, might as well make him the dictator. It would be a heck lot easier.

Kludge
02-10-2008, 10:59 AM

Obama has no chance.

Hillary will go on to defeat McCain in a very close race where smear reaches an all time high.

slamhead
02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Optimistically this is the way I see it. If all reports are true about RP supporters being more active and filling the delegate positions, we go to a brokered convention. Ron Paul gets the nomination akin to the 1860 Republican convention. Ron Paul will garner support from the republican party and the Libertarian party (3rd largest party) plus his share of independents. He will defeat either democrat and win the presidency.

Pessimistically, all the talk about RP supporters being selected as delegates is bullshit. We go to a brokered convention and some other candidate gets the nomination through back room deals. Another scenario would be that the GOP pulls some dirty tricks and makes sure one candidate has 50% to avoid a brokered convention. In this instance any candidate they put up will be buried by either Clinton or Obama.

But in either scenario we have in the end something that we never would have dreamed of. Dr. Paul will get his time to speak at the convention and the world will hear his message.

P.S. I was out last night and met two McCain supporters. I told them about Ron Paul and his positions. They both told me they wish they have heard about Ron Paul as they would have supported him. He will win over people and unify the republican party.

Truth Warrior
02-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Maybe Ron could get to read his new book to the GOP convention, or at least provide free copies to the delegates. :D

billjarrett
02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't understand when people will get it. All the liberals I know were screaming about change in 2006. They cheered when they took the house and senate, saying that now we would see real change. And two years later, they've seen nothing.

Now they rally around Obama, who was supposedly going to give them change two years ago, and say they he will bring the change they want.

You know what they say though, those that do the same thing repeatedly and expect different results...

dbhohio47
02-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Where are you getting the idea of a brokered convention?

McCain has the nomination in the bag. Hillary and Obama will slug it out until the end....then THEIR convention will be brokered (super delagates). Hillary will win due to back-room cronyism. 50% of the democratic party will be disenfranchised.... just as an equal # (or more) of the republicans will feel this way. But, life will go on, and those few that decide to actually vote will hold their noses and vote for the lesser of two evils. A few new wrinkles (for MSM ratings), but basically the same old song and dance.

If this revolution were smart, we would rally the disenfranchised from both parties to start a "none of the above" movement. Let the country know...with our votes.....that we are on to the game. We know the system is broken and there is a better way. Let the candidates know that we, the people, have a national referendum veto and are not afraid to use it. Create a platform around SOLUTIONS to problems and issues instead of just rhetoric. And let the candidate that promises to work under this platform.....working FOR the people...... be the one that gets the TRUE majority's vote.

slamhead
02-10-2008, 11:49 AM

McCain has the nomination in the bag.

I don't agree with the assumption that McCain has the nomination in the bag.

billjarrett
02-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't agree with the assumption that McCain has the nomination in the bag.

I would have argued against you two days ago. But, after yesterday, I think McCain has a long hard fight ahead of him.

klamath
02-10-2008, 11:51 AM
After 4 years of a dem equally as terrible as bush, Americans will forget they hate the republican party. This is bad news, it will make the establishment in the GOP stronger.
Todays young RP supporters can become the establishment in four years. I am old enough to remember the baby boomers railing against the establishment in the '60's and '70's. Who were those people? Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, GW, McCain, etc.

affa
02-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Wrong year?

This is one hell of a perfect storm.

jeff43
02-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I disagree strongly. This was a great year for Ron Paul to run. There is great contempt for the Iraq war and the Bush Administration in this country. Ron Paul was the only Republican who dared to call out Bush for their preemptive war, big spending ways until Huckabee started to parrot him. The economy is in shambles, the Republican party is in shambles, so it was perfect for a guy like Paul to promote something different. "Change" if you will. But his change is more drastic and takes more time to explain than Obama just saying the word change over and over.

The brokered convention is a real long shot so I wish people would stop saying it's a great possibility. McCain is in pretty good shape poll wise in the 3 contests on Tuesday so maybe after he sweeps them, all this talk will stop. But we need to continue this past 2008. As Ron Paul said, this revolution is permanent.

Shed
02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
I disagree strongly. This was a great year for Ron Paul to run. There is great contempt for the Iraq war and the Bush Administration in this country. Ron Paul was the only Republican who dared to call out Bush for their preemptive war, big spending ways until Huckabee started to parrot him. The economy is in shambles, the Republican party is in shambles, so it was perfect for a guy like Paul to promote something different. "Change" if you will. But his change is more drastic and takes more time to explain than Obama just saying the word change over and over.

The brokered convention is a real long shot so I wish people would stop saying it's a great possibility. McCain is in pretty good shape poll wise in the 3 contests on Tuesday so maybe after he sweeps them, all this talk will stop. But we need to continue this past 2008. As Ron Paul said, this revolution is permanent.

I agree. This year there is huge dissatisfaction with the Republican Presidency/Congress coupled with no incumbents running. Ron Paul may not win, but he's never had a better chance :) .

cska80
02-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Look at it this way. Who were the only two candidates to be propped up by the media? McCain and Obama. Everyone else is either smeared, ignored, or marginalized. The media has picked our candidates.

Montpelerin
02-10-2008, 12:06 PM
This is why Ron Paul supporters should concentrate on infiltrating and gaining a large chunk of control of State & National Republican Parties.

Come next election, the real fight might turn out to be within the Republican party.

...does anybody remember what happened the last time there was Democratic control of the House, Senate & Presidency???

-The concentration of effort should be that of ousting the neo-cons.

jeff43
02-10-2008, 12:13 PM
This is why Ron Paul supporters should concentrate on infiltrating and gaining a large chunk of control of State & National Republican Parties.

Come next election, the real fight might turn out to be within the Republican party.

...does anybody remember what happened the last time there was Democratic control of the House, Senate & Presidency???

-The concentration of effort should be that of ousting the neo-cons.

Exactly. Read the sticky thread about the guy changing the party in Alaska. This is what we should be doing. The people running for Congress under Ron Paul's platform should have our 100% devotion. What would happen if Ron Paul Republicans got a decent voting block in the Congress? All of a sudden, the Republican Party would have to work with them if they wanted to get their own stuff passed. So there'd be some compromise and we'd be able to have a strong voice in the federal government.

The last time there was a Democratic House, Senate, and Presidency was during Clinton's first 2 years in office. Ironically, under Clinton we had balanced budgets and a surplus. Under the Republican controlled Presidency, House, and Senate during 2002-2006, we have historic deficits and runaway spending. No wonder people are upset with Republicans.

klamath
02-10-2008, 12:13 PM
I thought it was a good year also, but it was not to be so I am trying to look at it in a positive light. If the bill comes due durning a big spending Democrat and the economy and dollar totally colapses by '12 our idea will have a lot better chance. 11 years of war spending and a huge increase in demestic pending plus a giant tax increase could have a profound effect on the American people's thought process.

RonPaulFTFW
02-10-2008, 12:31 PM
It was the perfect year.

The campaign is just run by people who no mind for strategy.

We should have tried to win the left wingers and anti-war crowd, as i've always said.

The proof is in washington. We did better there than anywhere and it's because nobody pandered to the Republican base. People who hate us and won't vote for us. The HQ for Paul is trying to wring blood out of stones when they could easily turn to the left and middle and pull huge amounts of votes.

It's just a lack of understanding. We didn't fight hard enough for early states. We turned down big press talks. We weren't organized and left too much too the grassroots.

Revolution9
02-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Obama has no chance.

Hillary will go on to defeat McCain in a very close race where smear reaches an all time high.

That is the worst analysis I have heard so far. You bucking for a career on FOX?

Randy

Revolution9
02-10-2008, 12:40 PM

McCain has the nomination in the bag.

No he doesn't unless you believe the great american dream machine. McCain can be knocked out cold and laid flat on the canvas. The SwiftBoaters start soon and there s some major issues with his capture. He cllaims solitary confinement for six years. His detratcors say he turned and gave his boys to the North Vietnamese. He hugged his torturer and cried tears of joy when they were reunited. Talk about a Dean scream. I have seen sequenced pics of this. I wonder if there is a video.

Randy

Revolution9
02-10-2008, 12:44 PM
<snip setup>
McCain is in pretty good shape poll wise in the 3 contests on Tuesday so maybe after he sweeps them, all this talk will stop.

Here is the poison you insert. Same thing with every post.. Honey, honey. poison., honey. Yer a shill. Remove the quotes from your sig if you aren't. When I call them around here folks pay attention. Pay attention or prove you are a shill by non-compliance.

Randy

Avalon
02-10-2008, 12:48 PM
We should have tried to win the left wingers and anti-war crowd, as i've always said. That's true, but the official campaign couldn't win left wingers this year...face it, between Obama and Hillary everyone's got a choice they like...they're coming out in droves to express it. The only way we would have converted them is to educate them on Hillary and Obama's actual positions and past votes, then show them how RP is much better, and then explain all his "crazy republican" viewpoints that they don't agree with. It can be done, and at least they aren't hostile to us like many republicans, but it's definitely for the grassroots to do. And everyone seemed more interested in posting meaningless comments on the internet or waving signs instead of actually canvassing hardcore, keeping track of all your potentials, and getting out their vote.

AlexMerced
02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I was never doing this to win the presidency, but reforming the republican party is a goal that has a lot more influence than the presidency.

Though a presidency is a remote possibility.

This bigger than any office, this is about the heart and minds of humanity

jeff43
02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Here is the poison you insert. Same thing with every post.. Honey, honey. poison., honey. Yer a shill. Remove the quotes from your sig if you aren't. When I call them around here folks pay attention. Pay attention or prove you are a shill by non-compliance.

Randy

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/va/virginia_republican_primary-506.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/md/maryland_republican_primary-513.html

McCain is up by 28 and 32 in the latest Virginia polls and 39 in the latest Maryland poll. Virginia and D.C. are both winner take all meaning that McCain picks up 82 delegates there. He's going to pick up 90+ delegates on Tuesday. I posted proof to back up my statements and people are agreeing with me that a brokered convention is a real long shot. I have not been told by the mods to remove my quotes. If they do, I will but then every single person here should be required to remove Ron Paul quotes from their signatures. I posted a completely legitimate post and someone agreed with me. I'm not doing anything wrong here.

ArrestPoliticians
02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I was never doing this to win the presidency, but reforming the republican party is a goal that has a lot more influence than the presidency.

Though a presidency is a remote possibility.

This bigger than any office, this is about the heart and minds of humanity

well said.

margomaps
02-10-2008, 12:56 PM
The last time there was a Democratic House, Senate, and Presidency was during Clinton's first 2 years in office. Ironically, under Clinton we had balanced budgets and a surplus. Under the Republican controlled Presidency, House, and Senate during 2002-2006, we have historic deficits and runaway spending. No wonder people are upset with Republicans.

There was a balanced budget under Clinton. Clinton was not exactly solely responsible for the budget. I believe the balanced budget was far more due to the Republicans (who swept the house and senate in 1994), actually acting like fiscal conservatives and forcing the issue.

As far as a "surplus" -- that's largely a bunch of nonsense. Most of the "surplus" was based on projections based on unrealistic "irrational exuberance", to quote Alan Greenspan. That exuberance resulted in the dot-com bubble bursting just as GWB was taking office. Not that Bush helped matters by leading his party to spend like madmen (domestically and militarily).

The surpluses claimed in the Clinton years is analogous to me claiming I'm going to be a billionaire in 1 year because $100 worth of stock I own went up 5% today. I just got lucky today. Clinton just got lucky in the 90's because of an economic cycle that inflated the dot-com bubble to unrealistic levels.

bcreps85
02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Ron Paul would beat Clinton in a fair election.

Obama won't beat Clinton because all of the super delegates have ties to Bill Clinton.

Paul4Prez
02-10-2008, 01:52 PM
This was the best year ever for Ron Paul to win the nomination, because next time he will be 76 years old. Republicans were in disarray, with Romney, Giuliani, McCain, Thompson, and Huckabee all having major flaws. It was almost a perfect storm -- even the dollar was in rapid decline, underscoring Ron Paul's economic views. Unfortunately, most voters still depend on the media to tell them who is "viable" and who is not, and the media relied solely on random telephone polls of mostly ill-informed and largely undecided voters to make that determination, not objective comparisons of grassroots volunteers, numbers of individual donors, straw poll wins, or crowd size.

spivey378
02-10-2008, 01:55 PM
the media picks who wins.

the mccain rising was all media fabricated.

whole thing is fixed

"long shot"

"no chance"

then people say "why should i vote for a guy who has no chance" without realizing where this came from

H Roark
02-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Actually this is the best year for RP to win the nomination. There were/are so many factors adding to his favor, especially with a Hillary / McCain ticket. Alot of it has to do with demographics...

Acidlump
02-10-2008, 02:28 PM
McCain is unstable and could have a heart-attack or maybe the terrorists will kill him

Mesogen
02-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I am being realistic and optimistic here but who says it's over? The convention isn't until september and anything can happen between then.

Anything except, say, RP winning the nomination.