PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul And The Republican Crisis

Mortikhi
02-10-2008, 09:35 AM
http://blogs.forbes.com/trailwatch/2008/02/ron-paul-and-th.html?

The turnout at the University of Minnesota for the Feb. 5 Republican caucus was overwhelming—the almost-all-student crowd of over 300 packed two large classrooms for an event that, the facilitator said, had attracted fewer than 10 people in 2004.

But in what may be an ominous portent for the short- and long-term unity of the Republican Party, close to a third of these caucus-goers turned out to support Ron Paul. Statewide, 16% of voters cast their ballots for the maverick libertarian.

Of the 20 or so Paul supporters whom I interviewed at that event, about two-thirds said they would consider voting for a Democrat if Paul isn’t the Republican nominee.

If—and that's not a very uncertain "if"—Paul doesn’t win the Republican nomination, the eventual nominee will have to think hard about how to hold on to Paul’s supporters, who, by one estimate, make up about 6% of Republicans nationally. That’s a lot of voters, at least by the standards of the last two ultra-close elections, and depending on why they support Paul, many of them could find that they have more in common with the leading Democrats than with John McCain.

Paul may favor low taxes—a pillar of Republican ideology—but he also turns sharply away from his party’s positions on the war in Iraq and on some social issues. If, as my Tuesday interviews suggest, many of Paul’s supporters back him for his calls to leave Iraq, then it might not be reasonable for McCain to expect many of their votes in November.

This also introduces a broader challenge for Republicans. Could the party’s awkward coalition of libertarians and other sorts of conservatives crumble? Keep in mind that although Tuesday’s caucus was the first election event that many of my interviewees had participated in, they weren’t newcomers to the conservative scene, and they didn’t take their involvement with the GOP lightly. Many had Republican parents and grandparents—“all the way back to Lincoln,” as one said—and for the rising cohort of Republican partisans to support Paul and to consider voting Democratic suggests that the Republican Party is in for an identity crisis.

If Republican Party leaders figure out how to hang on to the Ron Paul crowd, they may end up owing gratitude to the Texas congressman, who in 2008 forced them to consider just who their supporters are.

--Jon Bruner

Sematary
02-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I will not vote for anyone BUT Ron Paul in November - even if I have to write him in. PERIOD!

Omnis
02-10-2008, 09:53 AM
How do you write someone in on a diebold machine?

fuzzybekool
02-10-2008, 09:56 AM
It's Ron Paul or nothing.

Xyrus2
02-10-2008, 09:57 AM
The republicans have turned away from their their conservative base. In doing so, they have done more damage to themselves than most realize.

Compared to the democratic turnout, our turnout has been abysmal. A number of people are starting to realize exactly how much of their tax money is going to Iraq. A pro-war candidate will get crushed in the general election.

But probably the most glaring miscalculation was the Republican party's treatment of Ron Paul. They laughed at him. They ignored him. And they deliberately went out of their to marginalize him (if not directly sabotage him).

And I bet they're still thinking that because we are all one big happy neocon^H^H^H^H republican family that when the general election comes around we will all support the republican nominee.

They are sadly mistaken. We make up a not insignificant fraction of the voting public, and we are dedicated to voting. We will not vote for anyone other than Paul. We are making a clear statement to the GOP. You screw us over, we're going to screw you over. We are taking our votes and writing in Ron Paul. If we can't, we're voting for a third party. If we can't, we'll vote democrat. We're going to take our 6-10% and throw it behind someone to guarantee that McCain loses, and badly. Afterwards when the GOP looks around and tries to make sense of their humiliating defeat, they may remember all those angry emails and petitions from us insignificant Paul supporters and various other conservatives and realize that perhaps pissing on people is not the best way to get support.

A devastating defeat to the GOP seems to be the only way we will see any real change from the neocon agenda. We've tried talking to them. We've tried calling them. We've tried emailing them. So now we use our votes.

I'm looking forward to this.

~X~

Xyrus2
02-10-2008, 10:00 AM

I think there is an option for "other" which then allows you to punch in a name. If you can't, find a third party candidate and vote for them. If you must absolutely choose either a democrat or republican, then vomit and choose democrat.

And make sure the GOP KNOWS you're not voting for McCain.

~X~

DontFret
02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Please leave your opinion at the Forbes blog site. Very important to get a critical mass of voices there. This is an opportunity to shout out the reality that divides the Republican party and the supporters or Ron Paul and freedom...

LET THEM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL AT FORBES!

nimo
02-10-2008, 10:12 AM

Its called permanent marker right across the whole screen. Thats what I am gonna do wether I have to pay for it or not!

Myerz
02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I will not vote for anyone BUT Ron Paul in November - even if I have to write him in. PERIOD!

Ditto.....

We need to email the GOP.\\

pinkmandy
02-10-2008, 10:37 AM
The republicans have turned away from their their conservative base. In doing so, they have done more damage to themselves than most realize.

Compared to the democratic turnout, our turnout has been abysmal. A number of people are starting to realize exactly how much of their tax money is going to Iraq. A pro-war candidate will get crushed in the general election.

But probably the most glaring miscalculation was the Republican party's treatment of Ron Paul. They laughed at him. They ignored him. And they deliberately went out of their to marginalize him (if not directly sabotage him).

And I bet they're still thinking that because we are all one big happy neocon^H^H^H^H republican family that when the general election comes around we will all support the republican nominee.

They are sadly mistaken. We make up a not insignificant fraction of the voting public, and we are dedicated to voting. We will not vote for anyone other than Paul. We are making a clear statement to the GOP. You screw us over, we're going to screw you over. We are taking our votes and writing in Ron Paul. If we can't, we're voting for a third party. If we can't, we'll vote democrat. We're going to take our 6-10% and throw it behind someone to guarantee that McCain loses, and badly. Afterwards when the GOP looks around and tries to make sense of their humiliating defeat, they may remember all those angry emails and petitions from us insignificant Paul supporters and various other conservatives and realize that perhaps pissing on people is not the best way to get support.

A devastating defeat to the GOP seems to be the only way we will see any real change from the neocon agenda. We've tried talking to them. We've tried calling them. We've tried emailing them. So now we use our votes.

~X~

+ 1776

Sarge
02-10-2008, 10:41 AM
One could bet they are going to be in panic mode come Monday, if not before.

Their crowned King is not doing well. They now have to decide which loose cannon they want.

McCain or Huck and neither will be acceptable to the majority. They just don't get it that times are changing.

Don't back down.

michaelwise
02-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Then GOP should have thought of the consequences before screwing with us.

Sarge
02-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I agree, but they are only thinking about themselves and their big money fat cats.

Their problem is, the public is slowly starting to wake up and once they do things are going to change. They are watching their potential retirement accounts go down big as they are getting close to retirement. That wakes people up real fast.

They will likely see their statements go down some more over the next several months and panic will start to set in, that something needs to change.

The rebate is likely going to seem like a pittance by the time they get it.

OH wait, I can't retire yet with what has happened to my 401K that I was counting on to retire. People are living longer and they will see they have not saved enough.

JMO

billjarrett
02-10-2008, 11:17 AM
One could bet they are going to be in panic mode come Monday, if not before.

Their crowned King is not doing well. They now have to decide which loose cannon they want.

McCain or Huck and neither will be acceptable to the majority. They just don't get it that times are changing.

Don't back down.

I don't think they will get that about Huck. Although I don't agree with Huck politically, I will give him credit where credit is due - he has an incredible speaking ability, is very convincing (even if what he is convincing makes no sense), and comes off to the average american as a pretty likeable guy. Remember, the pretty likeable guy trait is one of the reasons we supposedly have Bush now.

I think what we saw yesterday was the downfall of McCain though. I'm not sure how this is going to play out by the convention though. Doesn't look good for any of the three candidates for various reasons, and we have to keep in mind Romney can come back if he wants.

Peace&Freedom
02-10-2008, 11:20 AM
We are taking our votes and writing in Ron Paul. If we can't, we're voting for a third party. If we can't, we'll vote democrat. We're going to take our 6-10% and throw it behind someone to guarantee that McCain loses, and badly. Afterwards when the GOP looks around and tries to make sense of their humiliating defeat, they may remember all those angry emails and petitions from us insignificant Paul supporters and various other conservatives and realize that perhaps pissing on people is not the best way to get support.

Yes, but...The GOP and Democratic parties are puppets, it is the establishment behind the two-party charade that is foisting the neocon agenda on us through both vehicles. The leaders above the party leadership WANT McCain to crash and burn, so they can continue the agenda through Hillary. They have selected the Clinton and Bush families as their primary agents to control their parties to further this end (you can add in Dole, who has also been on presidential tickets going back to '76). A defeat of the GOP because of the Paul movement would, however, clearly signal that the Clinton/Bush ping-pong is coming to an end, courtesy of the revolution. So, let's use our votes!

ShowMeLiberty
02-10-2008, 11:26 AM

~X~

+100%

We should also flood them with letters - actual paper, snail-mail letters - before the national convention.

Go to http://nowaymccain.com/ to print a formal resolution against McCain and get the addresses for the RNC and your state GOP. Share the site with all thei anti-McCain Republicans you know, no matter who they support.

If GOP leaders aren't in panic mode now, they soon will be - if we are relentless.

hopeforamerica
02-10-2008, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't vote for a CFR member if my life depended upon it. Who does that leave, hmmmm?

pacelli
02-10-2008, 11:39 AM

A large thick Sharpie marker.

gjdavis60
02-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I think the GOP has already conceded this one. McCain is the sacrificial goat.

Truth is, we helped bring them down. We stood against everything they stood for, and we undermined them from the inside without the Democrats having to lift a finger. It was beautiful to watch Ron dismantle the party with surgical precision at the debates. Now, perhaps it wouldn't have made any difference in the general election, but because of us, this will not be like all the other elections. The Republican party as we know it has sustained a mortal wound.

This was the first necessary step to force change in the party leadership and its platform. What comes next is largely up to us. There is going to be a huge "vacancy" sign on the party after November. If we stay engaged in the process; if we get more Ron Paul Republicans to run for office and to win seats, we could very well inherit what's left and begin to build a new identity based on our principles.

I think this is Ron's vision, and I hope it's ours, too.

CurtisLow
02-10-2008, 11:53 AM

Hammer and chisel.

Peace&Freedom
02-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I think the GOP has already conceded this one. McCain is the sacrificial goat.

Truth is, we helped bring them down. We stood against everything they stood for, and we undermined them from the inside without the Democrats having to lift a finger. It was beautiful to watch Ron dismantle the party with surgical precision at the debates. Now, perhaps it wouldn't have made any difference in the general election, but because of us, this will not be like all the other elections. The Republican party as we know it has sustained a mortal wound.

But what happens when Mac loses, if the 'leaders above the leadership' decree that next time, it's Jeb Bush's turn? The problem is not one party or both parties, but the stranglehold they are under from their corporate/CFR masters. I hope there will still be an election in 2012, but the strings of the Republican puppet will continue to be pulled to keep the Clinton-Bush middle manager ping-pong game flowing.

gjdavis60
02-10-2008, 03:59 PM
But what happens when Mac loses, if the 'leaders above the leadership' decree that next time, it's Jeb Bush's turn? The problem is not one party or both parties, but the stranglehold they are under from their corporate/CFR masters. I hope there will still be an election in 2012, but the strings of the Republican puppet will continue to be pulled to keep the Clinton-Bush middle manager ping-pong game flowing.We continue the revolution by spreading the message and electing RP Republicans to congressional seats. When we grow enough support, we will be able to stop simply talking about our principles and start implementing them. The message is out there. It has resonated with some, but clearly not enough yet. No matter how long it takes, we will continue to have the answer to the problem of big government.

Dary
02-10-2008, 04:02 PM
http://blogs.forbes.com/trailwatch/2008/02/ron-paul-and-th.html?

>If Republican Party leaders figure out how to hang on to the Ron Paul crowd...

That's easy. Make him the nominee.