PDA

View Full Version : Does RP have to agree to be on a LP/CP prez ballot?

Razmear
02-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Could either the Constitution Party or Libertarian Party legally put Ron on their ballot without his permission?
This would allow him to stay in the Republican party while another group drafts him to be on their ballot.

I'm just asking a technical question, not advocating anything, yet.

eb

risiusj
02-10-2008, 02:33 AM
I think he has to be a member of the party.

Razmear
02-10-2008, 02:36 AM
From wiki (so you know it has to be true)

Currently running as a Republican; there is a movement among state affiliates to endorse him under the Constitution banner in 2008.[4]

at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_third_party_presidential_candidates, _2008

So the CP could put him on their ballot as an "endorsement" , which would imply that he wouldn't have to be a party member.

eb

angrydragon
02-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Nader is on two different ballots for, or was on, in California, Green and something else.

gerryb
02-10-2008, 02:45 AM
I asked this question last night - consensus was positive.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=116486

leonster
02-10-2008, 02:46 AM
In my local district for State House of Representatives in Pennsylvania, we have a Republican who's been elected for many years now, and is wildly popular with the people there... he's a nice guy (I've met him several times), and he gets good policies accomplished, writes lots of bills, etc...

The past few elections, he's run unopposed, and the Democrats always nominate him as their candidate too. So in the general election, you can vote Matt Baker on the Republican ticket or Matt Baker on the Democratic ticket. He's a Republican but allowed to run on both parties. I doubt he actively seeks the Democratic nomination at all... I think it's just a case of them supporting him without his explicit approval.

That's only Pennsylvania and it could be different elsewhere, but... it is possible, at least in some places.