PDA

View Full Version : Thinking outside the box

alaric
02-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Stay with me on this: the principle of jury nullification may apply to this election process. As a jury has a constitutional right to find a defendant not guilty on the basis of the law being unconstitutional (see http://www.fija.org/), the delegates in the convention could act as jury and find the primary election process as being guilty of corruption. As the process wears on and the elements of media bias, votefraud, computer voting machine hacking and whatever skeletons come out of candidates closets, the delegates could get together and decide 'enough is enough'! They could decide that this election is a fraud and vote for the only sane man: Ron Paul! What say ye?

alaric
02-10-2008, 02:26 AM
no one has anything at all to say about this?

Agent CSL
02-10-2008, 02:27 AM
I sure hope someone at least looks into this as a legal option.

Dr.3D
02-10-2008, 02:28 AM
I threw the box away years ago. :D

alaric
02-10-2008, 11:02 AM
blimp!

the_bee
02-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Stay with me on this: the principle of jury nullification may apply to this election process. As a jury has a constitutional right to find a defendant not guilty on the basis of the law being unconstitutional (see http://www.fija.org/), the delegates in the convention could act as jury and find the primary election process as being guilty of corruption. As the process wears on and the elements of media bias, votefraud, computer voting machine hacking and whatever skeletons come out of candidates closets, the delegates could get together and decide 'enough is enough'! They could decide that this election is a fraud and vote for the only sane man: Ron Paul! What say ye?

This is a very good idea !!!!! lets keep this bumped

FreeTraveler
02-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Dammit! DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!!!

A Ron Paul Rebel
02-10-2008, 11:17 AM
...and the 2nd rule of fightclub...

kyleAF
02-10-2008, 11:22 AM
http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?Guid=a4cc4fcb-6043-4af2-860a-41ae912a2c42

GOP Party and Convention rules...

Jodi
02-10-2008, 11:23 AM
That is along the lines of a post I just started. What if all the RP supporters that are delegates revolt and vote for Paul on the first ballot. What would happen then?

theantirobot
02-10-2008, 11:26 AM
The gop isn't the government. Its rules are not laws.

Bruno
02-10-2008, 11:27 AM
That is along the lines of a post I just started. What is all the RP supporters that are delegates revolt and vote for Paul on the first ballot. What would happen then?

We would all love to find out! Anyone know if there are an rules that say you HAVE to vote for whom your state sent you to vote for?

I have heard that in the electoral college, though most vote according to the state's wishes, there are not laws mandating it.

FreeTraveler
02-10-2008, 11:30 AM
They'd have to do it "legally" though. They can vote for a "suspension of the rules." Not sure if that takes 50+% or 2/3 vote. They can vote in different rules. It's basically just a "democratic mob" majority-rules gang at that point, and all the rules of gang warfare apply. Dr. Paul's a crafty politician, I'm sure he has an elaborate floor strategy in mind.

FreeTraveler
02-10-2008, 11:32 AM
We would all love to find out! Anyone know if there are an rules that say you HAVE to vote for whom your state sent you to vote for?

I have heard that in the electoral college, though most vote according to the state's wishes, there are not laws mandating it.

Depending on state law, it's quite possible it may be felony fraud to disobey the rules. Then again, how likely are the states to slap a bunch of delegates in jail or hit them with heavy fines... and how willing might Ron Paul supporters be to pay that price?

freelance
02-10-2008, 11:33 AM

I actually thought about this yesterday, but I have no idea what would happen. It would certainly make for interesting drama. I decided that since Bush would still be in power (as opposed to "in office") and we have all those lovely executive orders, I'd rather not think about what he might do.

The problem is that lots of entities operate "as government," like the corporations who now have shoot to kill orders from the FBI, the media, the pharma/war industrial complex who write the laws, the Chambers of Commerce, the MEXICAN GOVT., etc.

rmholla
02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
There are a great many Republicans who aren't willing to roll over and hand McCain the nomination. The results of yesterday are clear evidence of this.

Huckabee was on the CBS political talk show this morning and basically stated he isn't staying in for a VP nod, he still thinks he can win -- even though it would take a miracle (yes, playing that card. LOL). But he did somewhat suggest that delegates could change their minds, the ones already chosen that is. So don't be surprised if Huck's people aren't doing the exact same things we are doing.

Huck said there is a lot of time until the convention and that anything could happen, that a candidate could make a mistake. I am glad he is putting doubt in everyone's mind that McCain cannot be beaten.

-

kyleAF
02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
They'd have to do it "legally" though. They can vote for a "suspension of the rules." Not sure if that takes 50+% or 2/3 vote. They can vote in different rules. It's basically just a "democratic mob" majority-rules gang at that point, and all the rules of gang warfare apply. Dr. Paul's a crafty politician, I'm sure he has an elaborate floor strategy in mind.

RULE NO. 32
Suspension of Rules

A motion to suspend the rules shall always be in order, but only when made by authority of a majority of the delegates from any state and seconded by a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more other states severally.

Keep in mind that the rules of the Convention operate under the same rules as the U.S. House of Representatives, except where otherwise stated! Ron's been dealing with those longer than some of the other candidates have been in politics.

alaric
02-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I know that, but the electoral college is specified in the constitution!