PDA

View Full Version : DiCaprio Could Be a Useful Endorsement

d'anconia
08-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I just read this today:

Actor Leonardo DiCaprio has decided not to campaign for any of the 2008 U.S. presidential candidates, because none of the politicians in the running "inspire" him. The Blood Diamond star, 32, was a staunch advocate of Democratic hopeful Senator John Kerry during 2004's presidential election and even traveled across 14 states to rally support and raise funds for him. But DiCaprio admits the frontrunners for 2008's election - Democratic candidates Senator Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama and Republican Ron Paul - have yet to catch his attention with their environmental policies. He says, "I'm still on the fence about it, to tell you the truth. I have yet to hear a candidate that has clearly laid out their environmental policy in a way that is inspiring to me." Referring to Senator Kerry's previous election campaign, DiCaprio adds, "I thought he had an amazing environmental policy. But I have yet to hear a candidate that has compared in that regard. I'm waiting for the right questions to be asked, and for these candidates to give really clear responses to what they're going to do in a tangible way - not a lot of rhetoric. I want to hear hardcore facts."

We have talked about how celebrity endorsements could help RP's campaign and with that said I think it would perhaps be a good investment to see if RP could meet up with Leonardo DiCaprio to teach him how regulation actually HURTS the environment and possibly get his endorsement. I think I'm going to send a message to Frazee to see what he thinks about the idea.

Kuldebar
08-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Leo is firmly entrenched in AL GORE-land.

FSP-Rebel
08-10-2007, 12:25 PM
I just read this today:

We have talked about how celebrity endorsements could help RP's campaign and with that said I think it would perhaps be a good investment to see if RP could meet up with Leonardo DiCaprio to teach him how regulation actually HURTS the environment and possibly get his endorsement. I think I'm going to send a message to Frazee to see what he thinks about the idea.
Good idea!

d'anconia
08-10-2007, 12:27 PM
If anyone can pass this on to the campaign it'd be appreciated. Frazee doesn't have his old profile active at all anymore.

Bradley in DC
08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
If anyone can pass this on to the campaign it'd be appreciated. Frazee doesn't have his old profile active at all anymore.

Do NOT, NOT, NOT contact the campaign with this. It is an old story and the campaign is constantly overwhelmed with contacts. I have never been in the office volunteering (nor know of any other time from any other volunteer friend) when there have not been at least 2,000 unread emails despite everyone doing their best to keep up.

beermotor
08-10-2007, 12:42 PM
This is a hopeless cause anyway. When DiCaprio says he wants environmental policy, what he means is BIG GOVERNMENT, TOP DOWN environmental domination. He is definitely an Al Gore jerk. Which is sad, really, I think that the free market can, and will, do a much better job of improving our environment.

What we need are cheap and viable green alternatives... we can't get those with all the crappy regulation and government/business collusion. So the only choice seems to be big government. We all know what goes along with that though (police state etc).

d'anconia
08-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Ooookie dokie. So if we were to have an important issue then we would not be able to speak to the campaign quickly? That's reassuring...

fj45lvr
08-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I am skeptical that any of these "green" hollywood elite are for anything less than a dominating governmental control and taxation scheme to inflict "punitive" damage against industrialization, not to mention keeping the "natives" of the third world in grass huts and poverty....there is no room for accepting the notion of "freedom" whereas in their opinion freedom is only then a "license to pollute". Federalism isn't enough for them!!! they want GLOBAL government!!

ctb619
08-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Don't even bother with this. I'm sure this guy appreciates Ron Paul's policy on the Iraq "war", but there is no way he would endorse Paul's free market approach to social and environmental policy, not to mention any number of issues like the UN, Darfur etc.

Kuldebar
08-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Ooookie dokie. So if we were to have an important issue then we would not be able to speak to the campaign quickly? That's reassuring...

And reality. Besides, I suspect Ron Paul has a few folks on the payroll to keep track of important issues.

Bradley in DC
08-10-2007, 12:51 PM

Just trying to give you some insight into the other side of the conversation. Everyone thinks they know how Dr. Paul needs to do something to win the race--and they make sure the campaign knows it. While the support is gratifying, that inundation sidetracks the campaign workers and volunteers from actually doing their jobs.

The campaign is urging people as much as possible to work through the Meetup groups.