PDA

View Full Version : Is Iowa important?

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-10-2007, 12:23 PM
My question is this: Is Iowa really that important?

The reason I ask this is simple. It appears to me that this is going to be a no win situation. The Ron Paul Campaign is obviously off the ground. The support continues to grow daily by leaps and bounds. The same can be said about the incoming funds.

So, how much can actually be accomplished with this Iowa straw poll? Once again, it seems to me that Dr. Paul is in a no win situation. He's got his back against the wall. Simply put, it's hard to rule out foul play in the poll. Even if the large amount of Ron Paul votes and supporters are documented, could that control the manipulation of the numbers by others? We are not playing on a level ballfield.

In fact, we already know the media has no problem distorting reality.

When the low support is revealed in the poll, the media will have a field day. I hate to sound like a pessimist here but why are the numbers tomorrow going to look any different then what they've been predicting? Just another classic example of "See, I told ya!"

If we stayed away from the poll, all the money and time invested could be allocated elsewhere. The media, the doubters, the other candidates, the establishment would all be on their toes.

The questions that would then be asked: Where exactly does Ron Paul stand? Just how big is this support we see for him on the internet?

Why do we need these question answered tomorrow?

What good can actually come out of this poll? It seems to me that the only thing that can come out of this poll is damage.

njandrewg
08-10-2007, 12:27 PM
I think they'll be focused on the 3 candidates who have spent all their time in Iowa who won't do well. And RP might suprise everyone...Iowa has 2 million people, thats 20,000 people if RP only registers at 1% there. And RP supporters tend to be very dedicated, so chances are they'll come from all over Iowa to support him

Bradley in DC
08-10-2007, 12:29 PM
It's important in that it's the story of the day. Since half of the candidates don't have as much money and support as Dr. Paul, most of those won't survive the next month. Dr Paul will survive no matter what. He will also be one of four debating in Reno on the 20th!

isufferfromronpaulfever
08-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I guess you're right. I just hope that in the event we are let down, people will not be turned off. I'm not talking about people like us neither, I'm talking about the potential supporters that decide to turn to this poll as the end all.

The same people that say "I like this guy, but voting for him is pointless. He'll never win."

FreedomLover
08-10-2007, 12:34 PM
We have low expectations, we've been there only for the last week, and mitty has been busy buying the whole shebang for himself for pretty much all of 2007.

Iowa isn't as important to us as it us to the others who are fending for their political lives, (and donations). If Ron Paul does better than expected, than it's a win. If he does so-so for a candidate who really just arrived, than it may not be a win, but I'll still be celebrating, and i'll keep donating and supporting RP anyway.

Like I said before, the whole thing really isn't a good example of democracy, its just a glorious fundraiser. One millionaire can just saturate the airwaves, buy thousands of votes, buses, entertainment, and filet mignon, and he'll have the straw poll in the bag, even if the people who vote for him only came for the food.

Don't put so much stock into this, it is a scam. But a scam with the potential to help us. :)

Perry
08-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I will give you the simple answer. For the next four weeks every political talk show and news outlet will be sitting around debating whether or not Iowa is important. Huge amount of publicity=important. It's as simple as that.