PDA

View Full Version : WA Primary chance?

Mac_jam
02-09-2008, 11:40 PM
What chance do we have to win the 19 delegates on the 19th with the results from tonight, even if we place 1st?
I'm not sure because I'm not completely fluent in caucus vs. primary, only that more people vote in primary's, I'm pretty sure. :confused:

Janet
02-10-2008, 12:21 AM
The WA GOP gets 40 delegates, 18 of which are determined by the caucuses, 19 which are determined by the primary (Feb 19th), and 3 unpledged RNC super delegates. ALL delegates in WA state are uncommitted, regardless of the percentage breakdown.

Mac_jam
02-10-2008, 12:23 AM
So they are told they should vote for a candidate, but don't have to, right?

ord33
02-10-2008, 12:29 AM
On another note (and not a good one). I believe Washington is one of the (if not the) last caucuses of the race other than the territories (Guam, Puerto Rico, etc.). Not a good thing, we have had difficulty getting more than 10% in primaries, but have been able to pull 20%+ quite a few times in caucuses. The remaining states are primaries, which really sucks.

Janet
02-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Well if you want to say they have a moral responsibility to represent the people of their district, then yeah. But I don't even know that they are told they SHOULD. I've never done this before, but I assume for the primary portion of it they will pick people who are declared for one candidate or the other depending on outcome of popular vote in the primary. For the caucuses it's a whole other deal. I know of several instances where RP supporters got delegate slots even though most of the precinct was for someone else and there are no promises or expectations that those people will go to county and beyond representing the popular vote of the precinct.

WizarDave
02-10-2008, 12:38 AM
It still boils down to delegates in the other states. I'm from Missouri and still studying.
Next month we have the county thing that chooses the state delegate.
Later at state convention we decide national delegates.
We are only bound to vote according to primary results on the first vote.
I and hopefully many other RP supporters will work towards being state delegates...