PDA

View Full Version : Something I'd like to see addressed

billv
05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Here's a point I'd like to see addressed by the campaign or Congressman Paul himself. I think it's valid.

http://libertarianrepublican.blogspot.com/2007/05/ron-paul-is-wrong-radical-muslims-do.html

propanes
05-24-2007, 02:38 PM
My guess is the answer is the US represents the west in the muslim world. All the countries get a response just nothing on the scale of 9-11.

Since when is Ron Paul grouped with left wing libertarians, as the author wrote?

PaleoForPaul
05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I don't doubt that Race and Religion are relevant to why Muslims resort to terrorism in western society. I do believe our foreign policy isn't helping matters much though.

Kandilynn
05-24-2007, 02:44 PM
I read it, and it makes me very angry. If it focused on Islamic extremists, then it would be okay. But muslims that ask their local government to ban marijuana use and prostitution or nude sunbathing are not the same as islamic extremists and shouldn't be treated as such.

gravesdav
05-24-2007, 05:08 PM
There's a big difference between Muslims living in the Islamic World and those in the Western World. The conflict between Europeans and Muslims living in Europe is complicated. Muslims are immigrating in mass to Europe. The culture of openness and hedonism is repulsive to Muslims. The mass immigration is also angering Europeans. Europeans, as the author wrote, are starting to fight back, banning head scarves and such. Another factor is the poverty and unemployement that European Muslims have. I think this atmosphere in Europe is causing riots and upheavel. Terrorist attacks from the Islamic world are very different than the riots from European muslims. And to imply France had a peaceful/ non-interventionist foreign policy toward the Islamic world is ridiculous.

NewEnd
05-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Theo van Gogh was brutally murdered by a Muslim angered at him for producing a documentary film critical of Islamic treatment of women.

Theo Van Gogh also called muslims "goat-fuckers"

RonPaulLibrary
05-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Paul addressed this issue in a short speech to Congress on July 14, 2005.

Transcript is here (from the Ron Paul Library (http://www.theronpaullibrary.org)): Suicide Terrorism (http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2005/cr071405.htm)

billv
05-24-2007, 06:54 PM
That's a pretty strong piece. I hadn't read that one yet. Love it.

Bryan
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Quite honestly the author failed to provide any connection with the violent behavior with any motive at all- he just lists a bunch of violence and proclaimed that it happens because they hate our freedom. Where's the logic? Without an extensive investigation it's not possible to correlate any of these events to any one of many causes- as far as we know they are completely separate random acts.

I think one of the most important points to consider when discussing the "Islamic extremists threat" is that if people want to say it is a coordinated conspiracy then they need to provide some proof beyond pointing to some acts of violence and a low-grade youtube quality video of masked men saying they are out to get you. As Dr. Paul just said: they go "boo" and we jump.