PDA

View Full Version : Did Romney Suspend So We Couldn't Have a Brokered Convention?

Knightskye
02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Seems fishy that he would suspend his campaign, when he had more delegates than Huckabee. Plus he didn't drop out, but I read if a Republican suspends their campaign, the states are responsible for allocating their delegates.

But Romney's a businessman, so you can bet he had a few tricks up his sleeve.

Ayse
02-09-2008, 05:40 PM
He wants a good standing in the republican party so he can run again in 2012, and he didn't want to get embarrassed.

nate895
02-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Funny, since it's now more likely. Huckabee and Paul need to get a combined 55% of the rest of the national delegates, and it goes brokered.

AlexMerced
02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I think huckabee is gonna sweep the rest... brokered convention here we come, I hope all our delegates bound to toher candidates currently are ready

JordanQ72
02-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Funny, since it's now more likely.

That is such nonsensical and illogical thinking...

jeff43
02-09-2008, 05:53 PM
He didn't suspend it because of Paul. He suspended it because he wasn't going to win and he didn't want to spend more of his own money to drag out the inevitable. I think Ayse is right, he plans to run again in 2012 if the Democrats win the general election.

No chance of a brokered convention. Huckabee is not going to win all of the remaining states so stop saying that please. He won Kansas, big deal. He's not going to beat McCain in more moderate states like Ohio, Maryland, Vermont, Rhode Island, Wisconsin. And McCain doesn't even need to win a lot of these as they're proportional delegates.

AlexMerced
02-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah thinking everything the other candidates do is cause or paul is naive

but likeleyness of a brokered convention is higher, the anti-mccin vote is less divided, and it's strong

Acidlump
02-09-2008, 05:58 PM
The race IS more likely to be brokered now because the anti-McCain vote will be less split

jeff43
02-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Saying that the chances of a brokered convention are higher without Romney is actually contrary to Paul, but whatever.

"With Romney gone, the chances of a brokered convention are nearly zero." -Ron Paul

JordanQ72
02-09-2008, 06:02 PM
The race IS more likely to be brokered now because the anti-McCain vote will be less split

I still don't see the reasoning behind this one. Neither Romney nor Huckabee can get enough to lock in the nomination. The point was to simply prevent McCain from getting enough. What's the difference if it's split or not as long as McCain doesn't have it?

tamor
02-09-2008, 06:04 PM
behind the scenes political maneuvering can take all kinds of twists and turns

Acidlump
02-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Think about it, Republicans hate McCain so they voted for either Romney, Huckabee, or Ron. Romney got the most votes out of the three so now that he is gone there votes shouldn't go to McCain. They will instead go to US and to Yuckybee

jeff43
02-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Actually according to exit polling, McCain was only 1% behind Romney among conservatives in NH and only 1% behind Huckabee in S.C. He isn't completely hated by conservatives so you can't just assume that their votes won't go to McCain. That's not a valid assumption. Ron Paul is hated by a majority of conservatives according to polls that have been done so it's kind of contradictory to say that they'll go to Paul and even Huckabee, who conservatives also don't like, over McCain.

JordanQ72
02-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Think about it, Republicans hate McCain so they voted for either Romney, Huckabee, or Ron. Romney got the most votes out of the three so now that he is gone there votes shouldn't go to McCain. They will instead go to US and to Yuckybee

How does this result in McCain getting less votes? Neither Romney, Huckabee, and Paul can possibly mathematically win the nomination lock in. The point is to stop McCain from getting votes. I wouldn't matter if there were 20 other candidates splitting the anti-McCain vote or just one, as long as McCain doesn't get that vote.

You're wrong anyway, the secondary choice of those three isn't the other 2, there's a substantial chunk for McCain as well.

Chester Copperpot
02-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I think huckabee is gonna sweep the rest... brokered convention here we come, I hope all our delegates bound to toher candidates currently are ready

i think thats a pipedream my friend, unless you know something the rest of us dont.

nate895
02-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Actually according to exit polling, McCain was only 1% behind Romney among conservatives in NH and only 1% behind Huckabee in S.C. He isn't completely hated by conservatives so you can't just assume that their votes won't go to McCain. That's not a valid assumption. Ron Paul is hated by a majority of conservatives according to polls that have been done so it's kind of contradictory to say that they'll go to Paul and even Huckabee, who conservatives also don't like, over McCain.

Yes, but most didn't vote for him, and not many will vote for him just because the media said that they would vote for him.

hvac ak47
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM
How does this result in McCain getting less votes? Neither Romney, Huckabee, and Paul can possibly mathematically win the nomination lock in. The point is to stop McCain from getting votes. I wouldn't matter if there were 20 other candidates splitting the anti-McCain vote or just one, as long as McCain doesn't get that vote.

You're wrong anyway, the secondary choice of those three isn't the other 2, there's a substantial chunk for McCain as well.

If you divide the anti McCain vote to much in one state he wins!

If all the anti McCain votes go to one candidate McCain lost that state.

nate895
02-09-2008, 06:28 PM
i think thats a pipedream my friend, unless you know something the rest of us dont.

He won't sweep, I think, he'll just get barely enough to go brokered, say 60% of the rest. Remember, a lot of the rest of these primaries are Mid-Western and Southern, not exactly McCain strongholds. If Huckabee can win TX and OH on the 4th, we go brokered, unless if McCain is able to build up precipitous momentums, especially after he loses the Mississippi Primary the week after.

jeff43
Yes, but most didn't vote for him, and not many will vote for him just because the media said that they would vote for him.

But they'll vote for Paul and Huckabee even though they didn't vote for Paul and Huckabee? Makes no sense. You have no idea how many Romney voters will go to each candidate or will just say fuck it and stay home. Exit polls are a sample of actual voters. NH and SC took place before it was accepted that McCain was the eventual nominee and he still did very well among conservatives, so I think the theory that none of them will vote for McCain and all of them will vote for Huckabee and Paul is ludicrous.

Dan.

Say there are 4 candidates and 100 people vote. 40 people vote for candidate A, 30 people for candidate B, 20 for C, and 10 for D. Candidate A is clearly the winner.

Now let's assume that candidate B drops out of the race, and say the majority of the supporters do not like candidate A. Now the vote comes up 40 for candidate A, 45 for candidate C, and 15 for D. Candidate C clearly wins.

It isn't about McCain getting fewer votes; it's about McCain getting a lesser percentage relative to the others.

joenaab
02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
As much as I'd love to see McCain lose, all I've seen so far is that Americans vote for who MSM tells them to vote for, and today that is McCain.

hvac ak47
02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
But they'll vote for Paul and Huckabee even though they didn't vote for Paul and Huckabee? Makes no sense. You have no idea how many Romney voters will go to each candidate or will just say fuck it and stay home. Exit polls are a sample of actual voters. NH and SC took place before it was accepted that McCain was the eventual nominee and he still did very well among conservatives, so I think the theory that none of them will vote for McCain and all of them will vote for Huckabee and Paul is ludicrous.

OK!!! Than why the hell are you here?? You have made up your mind its over!

Why stay here and post negative shit?? How does this shit help??

jeff43
02-09-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm here to promote the Ron Paul message around the country. Get Ron Paul re-elected, get Ron Paul like minds into the Congress, spread Ron Paul's message in my local community. The guy changing the Republican Party in Alaska is a great example of what I'm trying to do and what we should be doing. Just because I'm not delusional enough to think that there will be a brokered convention doesn't mean I don't have a part in the revolution does it? I was trying to straighen that guy out with facts. I can link to the exit polls backing up my claims if you'd like. Even Ron Paul says the chances of a brokered convention are nearly zero. Would you ask him why he's still here?

nodope0695
02-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Absolutely that is what Mitt did. And to assume it was all his idea is being naive. Romney was following orders, and most surely promised a high ranking position in a McCain amdimistration. The statist establishment can not risk a brokered convention.

Knightskye
02-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah thinking everything the other candidates do is cause or paul is naive

I point to one thing and call it "fishy" and suddenly I'm accused of pointing at thirty things. :rolleyes:

wgadget
02-09-2008, 06:39 PM
He didn't suspend it because of Paul. He suspended it because he wasn't going to win and he didn't want to spend more of his own money to drag out the inevitable. I think Ayse is right, he plans to run again in 2012 if the Democrats win the general election.

No chance of a brokered convention. Huckabee is not going to win all of the remaining states so stop saying that please. He won Kansas, big deal. He's not going to beat McCain in more moderate states like Ohio, Maryland, Vermont, Rhode Island, Wisconsin. And McCain doesn't even need to win a lot of these as they're proportional delegates.

RP is going to win WA.

hvac ak47
02-09-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm here to promote the Ron Paul message around the country. Get Ron Paul re-elected, get Ron Paul like minds into the Congress, spread Ron Paul's message in my local community. The guy changing the Republican Party in Alaska is a great example of what I'm trying to do and what we should be doing. Just because I'm not delusional enough to think that there will be a brokered convention doesn't mean I don't have a part in the revolution does it? I was trying to straighen that guy out with facts. I can link to the exit polls backing up my claims if you'd like. Even Ron Paul says the chances of a brokered convention are nearly zero. Would you ask him why he's still here?

I call bullshit!!

Thomas Paine
02-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Romney suspended his campaign because not surprisingly, he can't make up his mind about what he wants to do (or stand for). Christ! Romney can't make a final decision if his life depends on it.

jeff43
02-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I call bullshit!! Whats up with your sig quotes???:rolleyes:

You mean Ron Paul's own quotes? Hey everyone, quoting Ron Paul himself is not allowed in your signatures anymore. :rolleyes:

hvac ak47
02-09-2008, 06:43 PM
You mean Ron Paul's own quotes? Hey everyone, quoting Ron Paul himself is not allowed in your signatures anymore. :rolleyes:

Removed!! Happy now, TROLL!!

JordanQ72
02-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Say there are 4 candidates and 100 people vote. 40 people vote for candidate A, 30 people for candidate B, 20 for C, and 10 for D. Candidate A is clearly the winner.

Now let's assume that candidate B drops out of the race, and say the majority of the supporters do not like candidate A. Now the vote comes up 40 for candidate A, 45 for candidate C, and 15 for D. Candidate C clearly wins.

It isn't about McCain getting fewer votes; it's about McCain getting a lesser percentage relative to the others.

That's nice, except few of the states remaining are winner take all. Person A would get the same number of delegates in both cases, and in McCain's case, the eventual nomination.

hvac ak47
02-09-2008, 06:49 PM
That's nice, except few of the states remaining are winner take all. Person A would get the same number of delegates in both cases, and in McCain's case, the eventual nomination.

So what do you suggest we do?? Go home? Give Up??

Ron has not given up and none of us should either!

Austin
02-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I think most states will choose to make the delegates go unbound, which is exactly what happened in Michigan.

jeff43
02-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Removed!! Happy now, TROLL!!

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/epolls/index.html#NHREP

Here's the NH exit poll I was referring to. Go to page 5 and you'll see Romney get 34% of Republicans and McCain get 33%.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/epolls/index.html#SCREP

And the South Carolina one where on page 3 it said that Huckabee got 32% of Republicans and McCain gets 31%. He wasn't getting blown out among Republicans by any means and he won both states.

I don't think any of us here have given up. We're just focusing on different things, but still supporting the same man and same message. Please don't call me a troll for sticking by Ron Paul and continuing the spreading of his message beyond his failed Presidential bid.

hvac ak47
02-09-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/epolls/index.html#NHREP

Here's the NH exit poll I was referring to. Go to page 5 and you'll see Romney get 34% of Republicans and McCain get 33%.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/epolls/index.html#SCREP

And the South Carolina one where on page 3 it said that Huckabee got 32% of Republicans and McCain gets 31%. He wasn't getting blown out among Republicans by any means and he won both states.

I don't think any of us here have given up. We're just focusing on different things, but still supporting the same man and same message. Please don't call me a troll for sticking by Ron Paul and continuing the spreading of his message beyond his failed Presidential bid.

McCain lost by 69% and 67%

jeff43
02-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah, but that's when there were more candidates in the race. Giuliani, Thompson, and Romney are now gone. By your logic, Paul lost by 95% and 98%. Is that what you're trying to say?

hvac ak47
02-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, but that's when there were more candidates in the race. Giuliani, Thompson, and Romney are now gone. By your logic, Paul lost by 95% and 98%. Is that what you're trying to say?

The question is who will those votes go to now?
I think Huck and Paul will pick up more than McCain.
Im gonna do everything in my power to make that happen!! How about you??

JordanQ72
02-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Ron has not given up

I would say he has. You can read his latest letter however you want, but admitting to no chance of brokered convention, along with a straight win being mathematically impossible, plus him cutting and pulling staff in many states, and rescheduling upcoming appearances in states going into elections, and refocusing on his Congressional run sends a rather clear message.

The question is who will those votes go to now?
I think Huck and Paul will pick up more than McCain.

What limited publicly released polling is available says no.

hvac ak47
02-09-2008, 07:19 PM
http://people.ronpaul2008.com/campaign-updates

A few news sources are misreporting Ron Paul’s e-mail from last night. The presidential campaign is not ending, not being suspended, and not even drawing down. It’s slimming down and ramping up — with over twenty states having already voted, we’ve shed staff, and we’re concentrating financial and organization resources on the remaining states. We’re going to the convention, and we’re fighting for every vote and every National Delegate along the way.

JordanQ72
02-09-2008, 07:24 PM
http://people.ronpaul2008.com/campaign-updates

A few news sources are misreporting Ron Paul’s e-mail from last night. The presidential campaign is not ending, not being suspended, and not even drawing down. It’s slimming down and ramping up — with over twenty states having already voted, we’ve shed staff, and we’re concentrating financial and organization resources on the remaining states. We’re going to the convention, and we’re fighting for every vote and every National Delegate along the way.

Yes, that last phrase is a nice one to throw into the mix, but it isn't misrepresenting anything. All of what I said was clearly presented in the newsletter. To say the least, he isn't running to win at this point, at least not the Presidency, that's for sure.

jeff43
02-09-2008, 07:27 PM
If Paul really thought he had a good chance to become President, he never would have written that letter.

hvac ak47
02-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, that last phrase is a nice one to throw into the mix, but it isn't misrepresenting anything. All of what I said was clearly presented in the newsletter. To say the least, he isn't running to win at this point, at least not the Presidency, that's for sure.

Think what you want.
Im gonna help him win as many votes and delegates as I can.
If you support him you would do the same.

BlueCalico
02-22-2008, 11:32 PM
THE CONVENTION DOES NOT HAVE TO BE BROKERED! We can overturn Rules at the State Conventions. Google - [your state] Republican Convention. Look for your state information at ronpaul2008.com, States.

STUDY and LEARN!