PDA

View Full Version : About Changing Parties after it's over:

IcyPeaceMaker
02-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I was on the verge of changing parties to libertarian, constitutionalists or just Independent, but I* was convinced not to do it because we need to take back the Republican party, the others aren't viable and have no real chance of being elected.

If we begin by committing to staying together as a group, and to have all candidates for local and statewide offices sign a pledge to strictly uphold the constitution, as it is written, put some heat on those incumbents who vote against our rights, we can change the future.

It takes commitment and diligence to install politicians, at the grassroots level, who know they are being observed and that there is a group like us out there who will expose their treachery.

Charlie Melancon is one such Representative who needs to stop listening to party leaders or be removed from office. We can meet with them and demand that they secure our rights or we will campaign against them on their next election cycle.

We can do this, finding out what's up for a vote is easy, then our pressure, coupled with the rest of our grassroots out there can really make a difference. The only reason they do what they do is because nobody is watching.

We should come up with a national name, so they hear it from every corner. I would think something like THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS COMMITTEE would be a good name that would precede us when we ask for a meeting with elected representatives.

So, it's not a good idea to change your affiliation, become involved in changing it. Eventually, maybe we could outlaw parties all together.

wgadget
02-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Mass precinct meeting is next Saturday in our neck of the woods...I'll be there.

AlexMerced
02-09-2008, 02:49 PM
you can be part of the GOP and still participate in the other parties. I participate in functions of all parties cause it helps spread the message.

though formally the GOP is the only viable vehicle for changing policy, the first step is making ourelves heard at the RNC, win or not, we need to delegates to shape the party come the convention.

jdfales
02-09-2008, 02:57 PM
If all else fails take to the streets in civil dis-obedience. The message must get out! Return our liberty. We elect them and reject them in mass.

The Tao Of Bill
02-09-2008, 03:01 PM
It really depends on how you see your political future. In Ron Paul's case, being a libertarian for even one election hurt him in the minds of a lot of republicans who still thought he belonged to a third party.

If you are planning a political career I'd stick to the republican party. If not then change party to whatever you see fit.

BTW I don't think it's right to outlaw parties. The constitution gives us the right to assemble. No matter how high ranking you are.

kathy88
02-09-2008, 03:20 PM
I'll go wherever this movement takes me.

J Free
02-09-2008, 03:21 PM
It really depends on how you see your political future. In Ron Paul's case, being a libertarian for even one election hurt him in the minds of a lot of republicans who still thought he belonged to a third party.

If you are planning a political career I'd stick to the republican party. If not then change party to whatever you see fit.

BTW I don't think it's right to outlaw parties. The constitution gives us the right to assemble. No matter how high ranking you are.

I totally agree with the first statement. Ron Paul's 1988 run absolutely killed him among that part of the GOP that cares nothing about issues but cares deeply about power/loyalty. Like them or not (and I don't), they are an important part of any political party -- and perhaps the most effective/efficient part (in the most coldly clinical sense of effective/efficient).

I disagree with the second because it's too narrow. Clearly if you envision running for office some day, you should remain Republican. Likewise however, if you even want your voice to be HEARD, you should remain Republican. The only people whose voices count are those who are in the room. Our voices may not be heard much or listened to this year. But next year, the room will get empty - and if we stay, then our opportunity is huge.

Xyrus2
02-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Over? As in after the general election? Because I don't intend to take any actions until then, if at all.

We have a responsibility that doesn't end after the nomination. We should all vote Ron Paul in the general election as a firm statement to the GOP. If you want to get their attention, that's probably the best way you can do it. Nothing says "Hey you!" in a louder voice than when a significant percentage of your own party votes AGAINST your nominee. If it isn't possible to write in Ron Paul, then vote democrat and MAKE SURE THEY KNOW YOU DID.

Payback is a bitch.

~X~

The Tao Of Bill
02-09-2008, 04:15 PM
I totally agree with the first statement. Ron Paul's 1988 run absolutely killed him among that part of the GOP that cares nothing about issues but cares deeply about power/loyalty. Like them or not (and I don't), they are an important part of any political party -- and perhaps the most effective/efficient part (in the most coldly clinical sense of effective/efficient).

I disagree with the second because it's too narrow. Clearly if you envision running for office some day, you should remain Republican. Likewise however, if you even want your voice to be HEARD, you should remain Republican. The only people whose voices count are those who are in the room. Our voices may not be heard much or listened to this year. But next year, the room will get empty - and if we stay, then our opportunity is huge.

You're right. Third parties in general get the shaft on being called to share their opinions on anything in a professional matter. But at the same time I hate to discourage anyone from joining a third party. If you have a fighting spirit and think you can deal with constantly being treated like a joke, then go third party and pray for a miracle.

Michigan11
02-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I went to the Repbulican meeting for my county this week, along with my meetup group.

We split up and met and conversed with some of the regulars around the room, not giving up our identities however.

I think we should all stay in the Republican Party and start attending every function and meeting we can.

If we as a whole do this, along with our meetups, we can take over and grab all of the power from the GOP.