PDA

View Full Version : Brokered Convention is POSSIBLE!

coffeewithchess
02-09-2008, 12:37 PM
According to http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#R

John McCain has 714 Delegates.
Mike Huckabee has 211 Delegates.
Mitt Romney has 299.
Ron Paul has 16(again, based off of this site, not RP's data).

There are 1140 Delegates Remaining to be assigned.
John McCain only needs 477 to win the nomination.
Mike Huckabee needs 980.

Being that most of the states remaining are not "winner take all", we the RP supporters have a choice to make. Our votes can help try make a brokered convention. I absolutely under NO circumstances will ever vote for Mike Huckabee or John McCain in the General Election. Ron Paul will be on my ballot come November even if I have to write his name on it.

That being said, it may very well benefit us to throw our support, only in certain states, to Mike Huckabee. If Huckabee wins at least 664 of the remaining delegates, the convention will be brokered. To be on the safe side, it would probably be best if John McCain and Mike Huckabee went into the convention around at least 100 delegates short of the nomination each...I think this is something that we should be seriously discussing. Believe me, I don't like Huckabee(just watch some of my YouTube videos)...I despise that man, but Huckabee is our best chance for a brokered convention at this point I believe.

Any opinions?

NinjaPirate
02-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Bleh, I've already registered as a REPUBLICAN, and agreed to wear their monkey suit. And now you're asking me to vote for Huck?!!?! Oh the humanity!!!!!!! :eek: :( :eek: :(

Actually, I'm in Florida, so this doesn't apply to me, so disregard what I said above. ;)

Well, tactically it sounds like a good idea, but what are the cons to this?

slantedview
02-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I approve of this message :D

AJ Antimony
02-09-2008, 12:47 PM
It's certainly a good, creative idea which this Revolution needs right now, but the question is does Huckabee + Paul = 664? Are the remaining states favorable to Huckabee and Paul or more favorable to McCain? If the statistics agree with your idea, this will turn out to be quite a good one.

No better way to show revolution than using the system against itself!

jrich4rpaul
02-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Why throw support at Huckabee when Ron Paul can take delegates as well?

Patrick_Henry
02-09-2008, 12:55 PM

That's what I thought. If I have a choice between being a delegate for Paul or Huckabee, I don't think it's a question. It wouldn't make a brokered convention less likely at all.

coffeewithchess
02-09-2008, 12:56 PM
It's certainly a good, creative idea which this Revolution needs right now, but the question is does Huckabee + Paul = 664? Are the remaining states favorable to Huckabee and Paul or more favorable to McCain? If the statistics agree with your idea, this will turn out to be quite a good one.

The one thing left out of my OP, is that there is no guarantee where Mitt Romney's 299 delegates go...IF Romney's delegates swing McCain, the chances are very little, BUT IF the Romney delegates sit and decide to stay with Romney hoping for a brokered convention, then we do have a chance.

spudea
02-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Huckabee is mccains lap dog. Thats why Romney dropped out. Even if McCain doesn't get 51% , huckabee will throw all his delegates behind McCain for the VP slot.

coffeewithchess
02-09-2008, 12:58 PM

Because RP will probably be placing 3rd place from all the polls...so that's why I'm saying if we can make sure Huckabee wins FIRST in certain states, that may be our best option...to use our votes to make sure Huckabee places first getting more delegates than McCain.

Acidlump
02-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Vote for Ron, we still need to win 4 states

coffeewithchess
02-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Well, tactically it sounds like a good idea, but what are the cons to this?

The cons are that it won't work and McCain or Huckabee win 51% of the delegates...but we can at least try to prevent that from happening.

mczerone
02-09-2008, 01:02 PM

In the South - states like the one's that Huckabee has won - stay with Paul, Huckabee doesn't need any help.

In any state that would otherwise be heavy to McCain, Paul supporters might want to think about this.

kyleAF
02-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Vote for Ron, we still need to win 4 states

If Romney officially quits his campaign, then we've won a few by default. Nevada, Maine, Minnesota. Or am I wrong on this?

coffeewithchess
02-09-2008, 01:19 PM
If Romney officially quits his campaign, then we've won a few by default. Nevada, Maine, Minnesota. Or am I wrong on this?

I'm not sure how this goes...Ron Paul for PRESIDENT!!! WOOOHOOO!! My 1,000 POST!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

PaulTriumph
02-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Ron Paul for PRESIDENT!!! WOOOHOOO!! My 1,000 POST!!!!:D:D:D:D:D[/QUOTE]

Yessssssssss!!:D