PDA

View Full Version : Purple Fingers for Americans

freelance
08-10-2007, 07:21 AM
This is asinine:

Purple-thumbed Republicans 'tipping hat' to Iraqis in weekend straw poll

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Purplethumbed_Republicans__tipping_hat_to_0809.htm l

Tipping our hats to the Iraqis? Give me a break!

I guess our elections are as much as sham as the Iraqis.

Johnnybags
08-10-2007, 07:27 AM
This is asinine:

Purple-thumbed Republicans 'tipping hat' to Iraqis in weekend straw poll

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Purplethumbed_Republicans__tipping_hat_to_0809.htm l

Tipping our hats to the Iraqis? Give me a break!

I guess our elections are as much as sham as the Iraqis.

after the finger is dipped it must be inserted into a backside body cavity for the vote to count. Its inspirational and I am sure the Neocons would follow orders.

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-10-2007, 09:24 AM

Wendi
08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I don't get it. Why can't they use ink that only shows under ultraviolet light - like blood plasma donation centers do? If they'd used something like that in Iraq, there might have been more voter turnout. Many Iraqis didn't vote for fear of being targeted by insurgents if they had a purple thumb. But, I guess that was our goal, to not really allow them to be free any more than we are.

freelance
08-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't get it. Why can't they use ink that only shows under ultraviolet light

Because they LOVE all of this subliminal conditioning! ASININE, and that's putting it politely.

RockEnds
08-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I have HUGE issues with the purple ink. I'm really pretty ashamed of the GOP leadership in my state for doing this. But, tomorrow I'm going to have a purple finger in the hope I can help elect someone who has more sense than to pull a stupid little stunt like this. When I get home, I will show my purple ink to every person in town and let them know the direction in which things are progressing. Won't that be fun? Walking around town on election day knowing who voted and who didn't because we've all been marked. Yippie!!

Jester
08-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Astounding. I guess this is as high as we set our sights these days.

freelance
08-10-2007, 10:25 AM
But, tomorrow I'm going to have a purple finger in the hope I can help elect someone who has more sense than to pull a stupid little stunt like this. When I get home, I will show my purple ink to every person in town and let them know the direction in which things are progressing. Won't that be fun? Walking around town on election day knowing who voted and who didn't because we've all been marked. Yippie!!

Excellent strategy. This might make a wonderful YouTube video, don't you think?

I think that you can actually have some serious fun with this. "No, I'm not fresh from an Iraqi vote; this is how we vote in Amerika now." LOL!

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-10-2007, 11:02 AM

Wendi
08-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Won't that be fun? Walking around town on election day knowing who voted and who didn't because we've all been marked. The straw poll isn't a "real" election at least, but... this is a step in a scary direction. Would be funny if hundreds of people turned in blank ballots and got their purple ink - so in effect, no one would *still* know who *really* voted and who didn't. Probably a little too late to coordinate that - and would probably be counter-productive to Ron's campaign. But a future idea worth remember perhaps?

RockEnds
08-10-2007, 12:29 PM
It's not a real election, and in theory it should not influence the outcome of the real election. Unfortunately, it does. If I really thought it didn't count, there are about a hundred other things I might rather be doing tomorrow. If I had to choose between seeing Mitt Romney and cleaning out my garage, the garage would win hands down. But I'll suffer a purple finger AND Mitt Romney for Ron Paul.

CurtisLow
08-10-2007, 12:49 PM
"We recognize the great privilege of voting by tipping our hat to the Iraqi people who cast their first votes in a free and democratic election,"

Free...lol Right, What a joke!
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4053/purplelu7.jpg

Man from La Mancha
08-10-2007, 12:59 PM
If they only would take this one step farther. Use a different color ink for each candidate then we can see how many voted what way.

Curtislow why would you want any type of voting machine?

Chris_in_Florida
08-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Many Iraqis didn't vote for fear of being targeted by insurgents if they had a purple thumb. But, I guess that was our goal, to not really allow them to be free any more than we are.

Actually, voter turnout in 2005 in Iraq was around 80%, thats about 20% higher than its EVER been here (the highest we have ever hit is around 62%). I know how high it was because I sat at a government office in Najaf on QRF detail that day and saw everyone and their mom walking to the polling stations.

This purple thumb thing in Iowa is just a big gimmick though, they just want to attract national attention, considering that the Ames poll is really just a giant fundraiser for the Iowa GOP.

Chris_in_Florida
08-10-2007, 01:03 PM
"We recognize the great privilege of voting by tipping our hat to the Iraqi people who cast their first votes in a free and democratic election,"

Free...lol Right, What a joke!

Whats really ironic about that quote is that they called voting a "privilege". :mad: