PDA

View Full Version : Speak up and get a real answer

Staupostek
02-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Okay, this is an issue that has irritated me for quite awhile now. I just heard someone on television talking about Hillary Clinton's health care plan that would garnish wages if someone didn't purchase health insurance. As she spoke she interchangeably used the terms "health insurance" and "health care". She is not alone in this and it really irritates me when I hear it. I can have all the health insurance that I can possibly find to buy and if I fall off a cliff out in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, I have absolutely no access to health care out there. On the other hand, I can have no health insurance and yet, if I get sick and go to the emergency room I have access to health care. These two terms are NOT interchangeable. Is this laziness of thought or a carefully crafted speech pattern to coerce people into taking their position? It's the same thing with the immigration issue. One person says they don't think people should be allowed to come into this country illegally, and the other person paints it as that person being against immigrants, making no distinction between legal and illegal immigration.

We need to start speaking up and calling people on this. If they try to muddy the waters of an issue and take apples and oranges and tell people that they are the same, we need to call them on it. Until we do, it won't stop and someday we won't know what people really think about anything. How can this republic survive if we have no idea what the people we vote for really believe? Remember this post and call politicians on this when you hear it.