PDA

View Full Version : Easy Way for RP to Stay in Congress

zadrock
02-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Let's see... IF (a very big if) Ron Paul were to lose the primary on March 4th, then he wouldn't have any reason to stay a Republican, would he? He might consider continuing to run for President, but now as an independent, no? Shouldn't we be making some STRONG hints to the Texas GOP and National GOP that if RP is defeated in his Congressional primary, then he will run for President as an independent? Ask the GOP what they would prefer - Ron Paul in Congress and the possibility of McCain as President, or yet another neocon in Congress with a guarantee of a Democrat (or maybe even RP) as President.

I suppose if he lost his primary, he could also run for Congress as an independent.

Z

AlexMerced
02-09-2008, 10:54 AM
one step at a time tiger

freelance
02-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Let's see... IF (a very big if) Ron Paul were to lose the primary on March 4th, then he wouldn't have any reason to stay a Republican, would he? He might consider continuing to run for President, but now as an independent, no? Shouldn't we be making some STRONG hints to the Texas GOP and National GOP that if RP is defeated in his Congressional primary, then he will run for President as an independent? Ask the GOP what they would prefer - Ron Paul in Congress and the possibility of McCain as President, or yet another neocon in Congress with a guarantee of a Democrat (or maybe even RP) as President.

I suppose if he lost his primary, he could also run for Congress as an independent.

Z

It's not our decision to make. :cool:

Slugg
02-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Z

While I understand your logic, I really think Ron NEEDS to win this. If Ron Paul runs as an indi, he is saying "These ideals are not Republican." But, they are republican. We need to keep the ideals IN the Republican party, and we really REALLY need to win his congressional seat. Seriously.

life_boy
02-09-2008, 11:04 AM
One of the things we like about Ron Paul is he makes decisions for principled reasons, not because he's an opportunist. He's not opposed to the war because "it's a good time to to do it" or talking about sound money because "there's been a lot of talk lately." Likewise, staying a Republican I think has little to do with winning an election. He's made "revitalizing true conservatism within the Republican party" one of the tenants of his campaign.

If he lost the congressional primary he would probably consider it time to retire.

zadrock
02-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Let me clarify a bit - the point is not to get RP to run as an indy. The point is to threaten to do so in order to cause Peden to lose whatever support he has from the Texas GOP.

If Peden supporters are also McCain supporters, then we could casually mention that the only thing keeping RP from running for President as an independent is his House seat. (His most recent communication basically said just that.) So if he LOSES his House seat, who knows what he might do... I mean, his supporters are SO LOYAL, they would DEMAND he run as an independent.

Don't you think such a communication would give Peden supporters something to think about? We should point out that one little TX district could be completely responsible for the GOP losing the White House.

It's not about whether it's true or not, it's about the perception of truth.

Z

zadrock
02-09-2008, 11:15 AM
One of the things we like about Ron Paul is he makes decisions for principled reasons, not because he's an opportunist. He's not opposed to the war because "it's a good time to to do it" or talking about sound money because "there's been a lot of talk lately." Likewise, staying a Republican I think has little to do with winning an election. He's made "revitalizing true conservatism within the Republican party" one of the tenants of his campaign.

If he lost the congressional primary he would probably consider it time to retire.

I agree with you. But the smears against Ron Paul certainly imply that he IS an opportunist. Let's just use their lies against THEM. They don't understand why he ran as a Libertarian in 88, how it really was a principled stand. So take their half-truths and scare THEM into believing something that probably isn't true. The point is, in their simple little minds, it COULD be true, and that could make a world of difference in this primary.

Z

kyleAF
02-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Z

On March 4th, the vote is cast for the Texas primary, AND for the Congressional seat. If Ron loses the Congressional seat on March 4th, Peden is in. We can't "wait" until March 4th to see anything.