PDA

View Full Version : If You Want To Run For Office Start By......

virginiakid
02-09-2008, 10:29 AM
1. Learning the Issues. Pick 3 main issues that matter most to your community and of course the three areas that you care the most.

2. Build a network of supporters, volunteers, contributors, etc...

3. Build up your image.

4. Highly recommend the Leadership Institute. They have a grassroots school there that is really good and they have a candidate school there that will help you prepare to run for office. All are good.

5. Be Involved with your community.

Can anyone else add anything?

Agent CSL
02-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I have about 10-15 years to build up my knowledge and support before I could even think about running for any office. Then again, I would be running on a GED and no college which could be detrimental regardless of how my platform is.

virginiakid
02-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Not true, just know the issues and know people. People at the local level will be able to relate more. It could be used against you but unlikely if you know the issues well.

virgil47
02-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Those of us that work for the federal government would also have to retire prior to being legally able to run for any partisan office.

virginiakid
02-09-2008, 10:34 AM
I know I would have to resign from the state military if I were to run for office.

virgil47
02-09-2008, 10:47 AM
virginiakid, yes the hatch act certainly hobbles alot of citizens doesn't it. As I've been working for the dept. of defense for over 34 years I guess I'll be staying until I retire.

AlexMerced
02-09-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm working on building my network, if you want to help me out in that effort check out

http://www.mercedforfreedom.com

and tell other people to check out the website, I plan to run for congress in 2010, I plan on doing local speaking and party functions over the next two years