PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul for Speaker of the House

Misesian
02-09-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm not giving up on the chance for Paul + Huck creating a brokered convention, though even Dr. Paul admitted the chances of this happening are almost gone now that Romney dropped though.

But we will have the most popular, and probably liked, member of Congress in the Republican party come the beginning of the 11th session.

Why don't we start a movement (doesn't have to be today or tomorrow) on getting Ron as the Speaker of the House, or House Minority Leader?

This would involve lobbying at the congressional district level to our representatives to vote for Ron Paul in this leadership position.

This would be much easier to implement than what we've been doing, since it will mainly involve getting every single Ron Paul supporter out there to fax/email/write/call their Congressional Rep and encourage, urge, and pressure them into voting for Paul in this leadership position. A few years back I was involved in a single issue advocacy campaign that worked towards this goal and that was pretty much how we succeeded in attaining sponsorship of the bill from the representative.

Something to keep in the back of our minds at least.

billjarrett
02-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I think we'd have a better chance at House Minority Leader, the GOP doesn't have the majority there.

Misesian
02-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Minority Leader, Minority Whip, even the chair of a committee. If Paul goes back to Congress we need him in a leadership position in the halls of congress!

Mitt Romneys sideburns
02-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I dont think you understand how the process works.

Committee chairs are decided by seniority, and seniority alone. This tradition has never been broken in the senate, and only a few times in the house. To become a committee chair, he has to be the longest serving member.

Speaker and leader positions are picked by party loyalty. Ron votes by his own convictions, and does not play any brokerage political games with either party. He will never be in a leader position in the current or any near future congress.