PDA

View Full Version : If there's no brokered convention, why does RP want so many delegates?

theseus51
02-09-2008, 04:00 AM
Like I read Ron Paul's email, and he basically said there's a pretty good chance Mccain is going to get more than 51% of the delegates. If that's the case, what difference will it really make to have 40 or 400 delegates at convention?

I mean it looks better, and it'll be cool to have lots of people with Ron Paul signs at the convention. But does he want all those delegates, to have more leverage for voting on the party platform? Or speaking role? Or god forbid, VP spot? I was just hoping someone could help me out.

misericordia
02-09-2008, 04:03 AM
The man has a plan.

Do not lose faith. :)

fj45lvr
02-09-2008, 04:04 AM
I think it is to help shape the party and its platform. He would not accept a vice presidency with a neo-con.

RochesterRyan
02-09-2008, 04:05 AM
Like I read Ron Paul's email, and he basically said there's a pretty good chance Mccain is going to get more than 51% of the delegates. If that's the case, what difference will it really make to have 40 or 400 delegates at convention?

I mean it looks better, and it'll be cool to have lots of people with Ron Paul signs at the convention. But does he want all those delegates, to have more leverage for voting on the party platform? I was just hoping someone could help me out.

If McCain doesn't get 1197, that probably means that people between now and then have rejected him as a candidate.

If he is rejected, the delegates, which will total 2380, will have another vote. Votes will keep occurring until one of the candidates have the majority.

billyjoeallen
02-09-2008, 04:16 AM
McCain's support is a mile wide and an inch deep. When he loses the general election, the whole GOP will be looking for new leadership. Dr. Paul can provide that leadership.
We are fighting for a political home within the Republican party.

The is always the remote possibility of a miracle like McCain dropping out for medical reasons. In that case we need to be positioned to benefit from a change of luck.

Spirit of '76
02-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Also, whether we win or lose the nomination, we MUST show them that our movement is too powerful to be ignored. We must have as many people there as possible to show that the message Ron brings truly resonates with the American people.

dante
02-09-2008, 12:13 PM
The more delegates we have at the convention the more influence we have over the party platform and for electing party leaders. A lot of our ideas really are old school republican... the type of ideas that a lot of republicans would go for.

Secondly there is still an outside chance that this will be brokered.... we will know this better after next tuesday as there are 5 or 6 caucuses and primaries between now and then. There is enough anti McCain sentiment out there that Huckabee might just start racking up some victories. Again we will know better come next wednesday if this will be true. In the mean time we just need to keep gaining delegates... as we are going to take over this party one step at a time... and that is one way how.

Finally the more delegates we have at the convention the less likely Dr. Paul is to get booed of the stage when he lectures the republican party for how messed up they are.

rmholla
02-09-2008, 01:50 PM
If Ron Paul has a strong showing, it gives him more weight in Congress. He may be able to force more good legislation and have more power when killing bad bills.

Trust me, the GOP is paying close attention to how he does because his supporters are loyal and the GOP knows we can make or break the general election.

-

ArrestPoliticians
02-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Speech at the convention, VP slot, you name it.

Swmorgan77
02-09-2008, 01:52 PM

I mean it looks better, and it'll be cool to have lots of people with Ron Paul signs at the convention. But does he want all those delegates, to have more leverage for voting on the party platform? Or speaking role? Or god forbid, VP spot? I was just hoping someone could help me out.

There are many good reasons. It could get him a speech at the convention, it could get us sway in setting the GOP platform, etc.

satchelmcqueen
02-09-2008, 01:54 PM
he doing it for the ladies. hot blonde chicks dig ron paul.

dawnbt
02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Let's not forget a very important message from Ron at the end of his email...

"In the presidential race and the congressional race, I need your support, as always. And I have plans to continue fighting for our ideas in politics and education that I will share with you when I can, for I will need you at my side. "

hueylong
02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
How about to rip the guts out of the pro-war party and turn it in the right direction?

dblee
02-09-2008, 02:11 PM
How about to rip the guts out of the pro-war party and turn it in the right direction?

+1