PDA

View Full Version : My letter in the Dothan Eagle attacking the current Republican Party

hummtide
02-09-2008, 01:46 AM
And no, I didnt hold back!

Dear Editor,

It comes as no surprise now at why the republican party is getting exactly what it deserves this election cycle. Everyone talks about how its because there is no true conservative candidate yet that is not the answer by any means. Over the past 8 years, republicans attitudes have gotten just about as obnoxious and arrogant as they come. Since I switched from being a independent to libertarian and then began supporting Ron Paul last year, I decided to attend republican meetings at the local level, and hearing what I did at all of them, it is obvious why they are going down in a rapid freefall. At every level there is this entrenched mindset that the republican party is flawless, their candidates are Gods heavenly chosen ones, their party members are the only ones full of impeccable morals who commit no sin. And then they act as if anyone else isnt a republican, they must be labeled as an anti-american, anti-moral, anti-god moster who must be destroyed at all costs ASAP. That attitude that I have witnessed personally in my humble opinion is a true anti-american and anti-christian view for the current republican party. Whatever happened to the republican party led by Ronald Reagan or even the one in the mid 1990's?

The other dark topic no one has addressed is how so many republicans jumped to label Senator Barack Obama as a Muslim. However, Im sorry as I am no fool by knowing precisely what those hate filled people are actually trying to call Senator Obama without actually saying it... so instead of using that ultimate racist word, they all decided to replace it with "muslim" all because of his name. That in itself, should Senator Obama get the democratic nomination, is what so many democrats will use that issue alone to pounce on the republican party with. The democrats will simply label republicans as a party of hate, and judging by their own actions of the first 8 years in this new century, I cannot disagree with that asessment from the democrats.

After I saw the hate geared towards one of their own in Ron Paul, I can say without question I have no intention anytime in the near future on calling myself a republican. Until the republican party gets its head out of the clouds and stop thinking of themselves as the "chosen party", the political defeats especially at the national level will continue to mount at an alarming pace. The republican party in order to move forward, needs to have a revolution from the inside out, otherwise the once majority party in America will be known as the elitist party for the few.

And if any establishment republicans think that the younger and far more energized voters who joined Ron Paul's movement will simply fall in line and listen and then obey the current republican "leaders", then it is clear that their arrogance and egos have already done far more damage than anyone could have predicted. As for being a conservative, I myself am a true conservative, but one who doesnt label or attack others based on their race, sex, religious belief, political belief, or sexuality. My Christian faith teaches me to love all persons of all walks of life, as I cant imagine what I would have to tell God on my judgement day if I chose here on Earth to judge people based on such minor differences. And afterall, unlike many of the "conservatives" out there, I still respect that powerful document known as the constitution. Trust me, it helps reading the bible, but also try reading the constitution now and then as well, and you may find a whole new patriot inside of you just dying to get out and be free.

LynnB
02-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Nice!

hummtide
02-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Nice!

thanks

Liberty Star
02-09-2008, 02:22 AM
You told them :)

Good work.

Cyclone
02-09-2008, 02:29 AM
Very nice letter. I too joined the R party so that I could vote for delegates for Ron Paul. I was appalled. At the beginning of every meeting it was required that people pray to Jesus Christ. I suggested this might be offensive and non-inclusive to some folks.

I was told in no uncertain terms, "we don't want those kind of people around here anyway." I asked, do you mean Jews? The answer was yes, and any other kind of heathens.

I thought that Christians were supposed to be nice to people, I guess not. I got hateful stares when I refused to pray with them. As an atheist I see no reason to make a gesture that to me is foolish.

Then I was told also that anyone who is pro-choice can hit the door running.

Gays are not welcome.

The party platform was most definitely "let's get the little brown people out of our state" and they wonder why the party is shrinking?

I felt dirty every time I left the meeting. It was like being at a clan meeting. Sorry, folks, I am not speaking for all Republicans, just the ones in my home town, but that is the way it is.

I can't wait to become Libertarian again! Oh, it is a screwed up party too, full of stupid personality clashes, and idiots attacking each other, but, at least I can look at their beliefs and know that I am home. Because I sure don't hate Jews, Gays, people of any color, transgenders, transsexuals, or anyone else and I don't want to hang around people who do.

(clearly from the poster above not all Christians are anything like the people I ran into at those meetings and I certainly did not mean to imply that in any way at all!)

hummtide
02-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Very nice letter. I too joined the R party so that I could vote for delegates for Ron Paul. I was appalled. At the beginning of every meeting it was required that people pray to Jesus Christ. I suggested this might be offensive and non-inclusive to some folks.

I was told in no uncertain terms, "we don't want those kind of people around here anyway." I asked, do you mean Jews? The answer was yes, and any other kind of heathens.

I thought that Christians were supposed to be nice to people, I guess not. I got hateful stares when I refused to pray with them. As an atheist I see no reason to make a gesture that to me is foolish.

Then I was told also that anyone who is pro-choice can hit the door running.

Gays are not welcome.

The party platform was most definitely "let's get the little brown people out of our state" and they wonder why the party is shrinking?

I felt dirty every time I left the meeting. It was like being at a clan meeting. Sorry, folks, I am not speaking for all Republicans, just the ones in my home town, but that is the way it is.

I can't wait to become Libertarian again! Oh, it is a screwed up party too, full of stupid personality clashes, and idiots attacking each other, but, at least I can look at their beliefs and know that I am home. Because I sure don't hate Jews, Gays, people of any color, transgenders, transsexuals, or anyone else and I don't want to hang around people who do.

(clearly from the poster above not all Christians are anything like the people I ran into at those meetings and I certainly did not mean to imply that in any way at all!)

Yeah god forbid (pardon the pun) if your atheist, or if your gay.. or GASP.. you both!