PDA

View Full Version : States Where We Can Win Delegates on the First Ballot

No1ButPaul08
02-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Edit: We need delegates in all states. Delegates can also affect the party platform and rules at all levels.

I have created a spreadsheet showing the current delegate count, how delegates in each are won, how they are selected, and how long they are bound for.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p2Ua4t0-Z5pFHScTNGq7bUg&gid=0

Upcoming states we can win delegates without winning the state or congressional district are:

Idaho 5% of the vote to win delegates.

New Mexico 15% of the vote to win delegates

Oregon 3.5% of the vote to win delegates

Rhode Island 15% of the vote to win delegates

Kentucky 15% of the vote to win delegates

Texas 20% of the vote to win delegates, district and statewide

North Carolina Delegates not bound by law, primary is "beauty contest." Real action is at district and state conventions

Nebraska Another "beauty contest" real action is at county and state conventions

Indiana 30 state delegates available at state convention

Washington Holds both Primary and Caucus, both beauty contests. Delegates are, "morally bound," not "legally bound." Real action is and district caucuses and state convention.

Pennsylvania 74 unbound delegates elected on seperate primary ballot

South Dakota Originally forgot this. 20% to win delegates
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the other upcoming states it's almost impossible (We'd have to win straight up, hasn't happened yet) for us to win first ballot delegates.

McDermit
02-08-2008, 11:50 PM
pa are all unbound, so we'll definitely have delegates

No1ButPaul08
02-08-2008, 11:51 PM

This is the only state I'm not sure on, are the delegates on the ballot tied to the candidate

greendiseaser
02-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Bump.

I sure hope people in these states are ALL over the delegate \ convention situation!

:D :D :D

McDermit
02-08-2008, 11:56 PM
This is the only state I'm not sure on, are the delegates on the ballot tied to the candidate

nope. It's a blind vote. Should be interesting.

No1ButPaul08
02-08-2008, 11:59 PM
nope. It's a blind vote. Should be interesting.

Thank you, I will make changes

Roxi
02-09-2008, 12:04 AM
PLUS.... if you make it to the national convention you can vote for whoever you want

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 12:18 AM
PLUS.... if you make it to the national convention you can vote for whoever you want

Not without breaking the law in most states

Eponym_mi
02-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Not without breaking the law

Not entirely accurate. In some states, delegates are legally bound. In others, they are morally bound. The former would result in some legal action, the latter merely in some party sanctions.

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Not entirely accurate. In some states, delegates are legally bound. In others, they are morally bound. The former would result in some legal action, the latter merely in some party sanctions.

I changed it to say in some states. The spreadsheet points out the morally bound states.

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 12:41 AM
bump

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 01:35 AM
bump

Bradley in DC
02-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Excellent work. This is who we win.

Nitpicking: the three "unpledged" party leader delegates from DC are bound to vote with the rest of the delegates.

Ogren
02-09-2008, 01:44 AM

We need to fill the delegate spots for huck and mccain so we can take votes from them at the convention.

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Excellent work. This is who we win.

Nitpicking: the three "unpledged" party leader delegates from DC are bound to vote with the rest of the delegates.

I thought so, but wasn't sure. I'll make the changes. You're still up for the Huckabee strategy i see. If so, we really need to swing VA, MD, and DC his way on the 12th

Bradley in DC
02-09-2008, 01:53 AM
I thought so, but wasn't sure. I'll make the changes. You're still up for the Huckabee strategy i see. If so, we really need to swing VA, MD, and DC his way on the 12th

It's not just a Huckabee strategy. But yes, we need to make tactical alliances. In DC, for example, I think we have a better shot and they and Romney's people need to get behind us. The same might be true in other places as it was in places we did well coming in second, etc.

Anyone from Romney's camp or Huck's Army, please PM us. Also, where's Krippy? We need his input.

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 01:58 AM
It's not just a Huckabee strategy. But yes, we need to make tactical alliances. In DC, for example, I think we have a better shot and they and Romney's people need to get behind us. The same might be true in other places as it was in places we did well coming in second, etc.

Anyone from Romney's camp or Huck's Army, please PM us. Also, where's Krippy? We need his input.

edit

link88
02-09-2008, 02:11 AM
bump!

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 02:54 AM
bump

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 03:51 AM
bump

free.alive
02-09-2008, 04:06 AM
How do you become a delegate in PA?? we need to know

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 09:07 AM

This info should be on the PA subforum

Bradley in DC
02-09-2008, 09:16 AM
This info should be on the PA subforum

It might be good to add that info to the spreadsheet to get it on the website too. Or at a minimum if the process is over already and a link to the respective subforum here.

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 03:09 PM
bump

goldstandard
02-09-2008, 03:57 PM
bump

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 04:41 PM
It might be good to add that info to the spreadsheet to get it on the website too. Or at a minimum if the process is over already and a link to the respective subforum here.

I've messaged solrac about the website, I'm going to look up the info for the good states, and then expand from that. I'm going to look up all the details; important dates, how to become a delegate, etc. After that I'll look up the relevant info for the already voted good states.

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 06:56 PM
bump

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 09:12 PM
bump

itshappening
02-09-2008, 09:18 PM

this is excellent Bradley, we need to co-ordinate and play to our strengths, come on Hucks people!!

BravoSix
02-09-2008, 09:44 PM

There are quite a few of us working on this in PA. Unfortunately, if you're not already in the process, it's probably too late.

You have to collect 250 signatures from registered Republicans in your Congressional District on a petition to have your name placed on the ballot. Those petitions need to be turned in by this Tuesday, February 12th.

All candidates who meet the 250 mark (and that's 250 good signatures.....some may be disqualified for various reasons) are placed on the ballot for the primary election. Most Congressional Districts have 3 delegates, some have 4, and we only vote for delegate candidates for our district.

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 09:45 PM
There are quite a few of us working on this in PA. Unfortunately, if you're not already in the process, it's probably too late.

You have to collect 250 signatures from registered Republicans in your Congressional District on a petition to have your name placed on the ballot. Those petitions need to be turned in by this Tuesday, February 12th.

All candidates who meet the 250 mark (and that's 250 good signatures.....some may be disqualified for various reasons) are placed on the ballot for the primary election. Most Congressional Districts have 3 delegates, some have 4, and we only vote for delegate candidates for our district.

Do we have a full slate in PA?

No1ButPaul08
02-09-2008, 11:03 PM
bump

kyleAF
02-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Looking good.

UTR approach.

Avalon
02-09-2008, 11:30 PM

All candidates who meet the 250 mark (and that's 250 good signatures.....some may be disqualified for various reasons) are placed on the ballot for the primary election. Most Congressional Districts have 3 delegates, some have 4, and we only vote for delegate candidates for our district. Doesn't sound too late to me. Get your friends and family members to each take a few pages with them to all the large churches in the area and have people sign as they go in and come out.

No1ButPaul08
02-10-2008, 02:02 AM
bump

No1ButPaul08
02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
bump

BravoSix
02-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Do we have a full slate in PA?

If not, we're pretty close. I've been concentrating on collecting my signatures and those of other pro-RP candidates in my district that I'm not sure how the other Congressional Districts are progressing.

I'm in CD 10, and we look like we're pretty well set here with more than enough candidates. I know several of the smaller districts in the Philly and Pittsburgh area were doing pretty well before we started petitioning, but I have no idea where we are currently in those areas.

Hopefully, after Feb 20th - the date that ballot position is chosen by lottery - we should have a full list of known Ron Paul supporters who are on the ballot for delegate.

No1ButPaul08
02-10-2008, 02:33 PM
If not, we're pretty close. I've been concentrating on collecting my signatures and those of other pro-RP candidates in my district that I'm not sure how the other Congressional Districts are progressing.

I'm in CD 10, and we look like we're pretty well set here with more than enough candidates. I know several of the smaller districts in the Philly and Pittsburgh area were doing pretty well before we started petitioning, but I have no idea where we are currently in those areas.

Hopefully, after Feb 20th - the date that ballot position is chosen by lottery - we should have a full list of known Ron Paul supporters who are on the ballot for delegate.

That's good. I think PA and NC have the potenial to be our best states. Both states have loads of unbound delegates, hopefully we can clean up.

LukeNM
02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
New Mexico is 6/3 (not to be petty).

No1ButPaul08
02-10-2008, 03:01 PM
New Mexico is 6/3 (not to be petty).

Thank you I changed it

literatim
02-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Everything changes on a brokered convention.

hawks4ronpaul
02-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I read somewhere that only candidates with 20%+ get delegates in WA.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

goldstandard
02-10-2008, 03:46 PM
bump

No1ButPaul08
02-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I read somewhere that only candidates with 20%+ get delegates in WA.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Washington is a very strange state wrt the delegate process. They hold a caucus and a primary. There are 9 districts with 3 delegates each. 2 delegates go to the district winner of the caucus, and 1 goes to the primary winner. They also have 10 state delegates. These get allocated by the 20% threshold you spoke of, they use the primary results for this.

With all of that said, Washington's delegates are, "morally bound," so if they feel like being immoral they can vote for whoever they want without breaking the law. The county and state conventions in Washington are huge.

No1ButPaul08
02-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Everything changes on a brokered convention.

True, however very unlikely, as I'm sure you know.

I'll make a post, "States where we can win delegates in a brokered convention"

Basically the good states that are listed on the spreadsheet. Some states we have no chance, either the winning candidate picks the delegates or they are bound forever.

No1ButPaul08
02-10-2008, 04:35 PM
bump

teshuah
02-11-2008, 12:23 PM
bump

check out the latest thread saying that precinct leaders in states that have already voted can call voters in other states. We should focus on calling voters in these states to get the percentage votes up in these states.

polexi
02-11-2008, 12:40 PM
We have a decent amount of support here in PA....but at the same time a pathetic amount of McCain sheep.

GoDrNo
02-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Here is some info so you can update MI on your spreadsheet, MIGOP (www.MIGOP.org) shows

10 McCain
2 Huck
45 uncommitted
3 RNC Members (unconmitted)

To: Interested Parties
CC: Saulius "Saul" Anuzis, Chairman
Date: February 7, 2008
Re: Clarification of Michigan's Republican National Convention delegate allocation

As you are most likely aware, Governor Mitt Romney today suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination for president of the United States. Governor Romney was allocated 45 of Michigan's 60 delegates to the Republican National Convention as a result of winning 13 of Michigan's 15 congressional districts and receiving 40% of the total statewide vote in Michigan's January 15, 2008 Presidential Primary Election.

In accordance with Rule 19E(2) of the Republican Party of Michigan Rules for Selection of Delegates and Alternates to the 2008 Republican County, State and National Conventions, the 45 delegates that were previously allocated to Governor Romney will now be deemed "uncommitted" delegates and are therefore not bound to support any particular candidate at the 2008 Republican National Convention. Pursuant to the Rules, the Credentials Committee of the Michigan Republican Party will today submit notification to Governor Romney's campaign informing them of this action. Governor Romney has the right to appeal the Credentials Committee's determination within five days, but it is our understanding from the Romney campaign that he has no intention to do so.

Individuals residing in any congressional district previously committed to Governor Romney who wish to seek election as a congressional district delegate or alternate to the Republican National Convention, or individuals seeking election as an at-large delegate or alternate for one of the six positions to which Governor Romney was previously allocated should file a presidential preference form (as required by Rule 7) indicating they seek election as an uncommitted delegate or alternate.

No actions taken today have any impact at all on the delegates previously allocated to Senator McCain or Governor Huckabee. The updated Michigan delegate allocation is as follows:
Uncommitted 45
McCain 10
Huckabee 2
RNC Members 3*

*Michigan's Republican National Committee Members (State Chairman, National Committeeman and National Committeewoman) are automatic delegates to the National Convention and are not bound to support any particular candidate.

No1ButPaul08
02-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Here is some info so you can update MI on your spreadsheet, MIGOP (www.MIGOP.org) shows

10 McCain
2 Huck
45 uncommitted
3 RNC Members (unconmitted)

To: Interested Parties
CC: Saulius "Saul" Anuzis, Chairman
Date: February 7, 2008
Re: Clarification of Michigan's Republican National Convention delegate allocation

As you are most likely aware, Governor Mitt Romney today suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination for president of the United States. Governor Romney was allocated 45 of Michigan's 60 delegates to the Republican National Convention as a result of winning 13 of Michigan's 15 congressional districts and receiving 40% of the total statewide vote in Michigan's January 15, 2008 Presidential Primary Election.

In accordance with Rule 19E(2) of the Republican Party of Michigan Rules for Selection of Delegates and Alternates to the 2008 Republican County, State and National Conventions, the 45 delegates that were previously allocated to Governor Romney will now be deemed "uncommitted" delegates and are therefore not bound to support any particular candidate at the 2008 Republican National Convention. Pursuant to the Rules, the Credentials Committee of the Michigan Republican Party will today submit notification to Governor Romney's campaign informing them of this action. Governor Romney has the right to appeal the Credentials Committee's determination within five days, but it is our understanding from the Romney campaign that he has no intention to do so.

Individuals residing in any congressional district previously committed to Governor Romney who wish to seek election as a congressional district delegate or alternate to the Republican National Convention, or individuals seeking election as an at-large delegate or alternate for one of the six positions to which Governor Romney was previously allocated should file a presidential preference form (as required by Rule 7) indicating they seek election as an uncommitted delegate or alternate.

No actions taken today have any impact at all on the delegates previously allocated to Senator McCain or Governor Huckabee. The updated Michigan delegate allocation is as follows:
Uncommitted 45
McCain 10
Huckabee 2
RNC Members 3*

*Michigan's Republican National Committee Members (State Chairman, National Committeeman and National Committeewoman) are automatic delegates to the National Convention and are not bound to support any particular candidate.

Thanks, but the RNC is cutting Michigan's delegation in half to 30 for moving their primary up. So those numbers aren't correct. I don't know why the MIGOP chooses not to recognize this here

ForLibertyFight
02-11-2008, 04:16 PM
bump

BrettCates
02-13-2008, 01:26 AM
We Need To Focus On Winning The Delegates

BrettCates
02-13-2008, 01:27 AM
THIS AIN'T OVER YET
I'm almost a senior member.....

BrettCates
02-13-2008, 01:59 AM
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Pppppppppppppppppppppppaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuull llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

justatrey
02-13-2008, 12:47 PM
bump

justatrey
02-14-2008, 01:56 PM
bump