PDA

View Full Version : Final Battle for REAL-ID Has Begun!

Matt Collins
02-08-2008, 11:23 PM
The national ID battle, brewing for years, is now underway in earnest.

On January 11, the Department of Homeland Security released its final rules on what states must do to implement REAL ID, the national identification law Congress passed in 2005.

Homeland Security has taken the gloves off. States have until May to accept the plan. Beginning May 11, 2008, says Homeland Security, residents of states that have not agreed to implement REAL ID will not be allowed to use their state drivers licenses to board airplanes or enter federal buildings. They can use a U.S. passport or possibly other documents in some circumstances, but they must expect to "suffer delays due to the requirement for enhanced security screening." In other words, take your shoes off, pal, and get in that LONG LONG line over there.

States that agree to comply may be granted extensions of several years to fully implement REAL ID. But when REAL ID is in place, notes CNET NEWS, in addition to flying and entering federal buildings, "REAL ID could in theory be required for traveling on Amtrak, collecting federal welfare benefits, signing up for Social Security, applying for student loans, interacting with the U.S. Postal Service, entering national parks" as well as purchasing firearms.

In practice, it may be impossible even to get a job or open a bank account without REAL ID. REAL ID is widely expected to become the standard ID for the private sector.

And that's just the start. Homeland Security is already floating additional uses for the cards, including "reducing unlawful employment, voter fraud, and underage drinking," and monitoring the purchase of over-the-counter medicines. The REAL ID Act explicitly says that REAL IDs shall be required for "any other purposes that the Secretary [of Homeland Security] shall determine." A more open-ended grant of power could not be written.

REAL ID requires all states to make major changes to their driver's licenses, turning them into police-state national ID cards that will be loaded with sensitive personal information, all of which will be tied together in huge databases. These databases will make it easy to routinely track, monitor, and regulate the movements and activities of all citizens. The cards would also be computer-readable, allowing government and private-sector scanners to collect the personal information on the cards.

The stakes are incredibly high, says former U.S. Congressman and current Libertarian Party National Committee board member Bob Barr.

"The massive database that would be created by the REAL ID Act, containing all manner of private information on citizens, is potentially one of the most privacy-invasive laws in the history of our country," Barr says. "Anything less than scrapping this offensive national identification card law is unacceptable."

The ACLU points out that the REAL ID "will become tantamount to a license to leave your house," since it will be required virtually everywhere you go. "The end result could be a situation where citizens' movements inside their own country are monitored and recorded through these 'internal passports.'"

A true grassroots rebellion against REAL ID is forming. So far, 17 states have passed laws or resolutions rejecting REAL ID: Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Maine, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Washington.

Twenty-one other states have either introduced legislation or had legislation pass in one chamber opposing REAL ID.

But all those states are facing tremendous pressure from the federal government.

Like so much recent statist legislation, REAL ID was sneaked into law. It was slipped into a May 2005 emergency-spending bill to fund the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and provide tsunami relief. Such bills are almost impossible to defeat. It passed the House 368-58 and the Senate unanimously. There was not a single debate on the Act in the Senate, and insufficient discussion in the House. President Bush, who, his spokespersons once said, "does not support a national ID card," strongly backed it and quickly signed it into law.

There have been attempts to kill the REAL ID beast in Congress. Legislation has been introduced in both the House and Senate to repeal the act, but thus far they have not progressed.

As this battle begins in earnest, state by state, no one should be fooled into thinking REAL ID has anything to do with fighting terrorism. The federal government has pushed for a national ID card for years, well before the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Previous justifications have included health care, the War on Drugs, protecting children, and controlling immigration. Any excuse, it seems, will do. This is all about massive, Orwellian control of Americans by a federal government run amok.

As Congressman Ron Paul said when the bill was introduced in 2005: "National ID cards will be used to track the law-abiding masses, not criminals."

REAL ID is a Real Bad Idea: a giant move towards a 1984-ish police state where the government monitors and controls everything you say and do.

It can still be stopped. But it's now or never.

Source: http://www.theadvocates.org/liberator/vol-13-num-3.html

Mach
02-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Matt Collins, way to keep the important stuff in peoples faces, this Topic cannot be brought up enough.

Don't mean to be negative or rude, but, I've thought about putting up a Poll here asking who would go ahead and get a Real ID and who wouldn't, the problem is, I already know the answer that at least 90% would pick, I just don't believe that a lot of people would go through with NOT getting it forever, I'm not a negative person, I just think I know people....... eventually....... please, I want to be wrong!

Have any of the other Presidential Candidates even been asked one time what they would do with Real ID's?

Everyone should already know, even the Real ID would just be another "start", the laws they would pass and push around using the Real ID are not even thinkable, yet.

Under Construction - Jim Guest - Missouri - If you're in a white State on this site it's time to raise your voice, or any color State for that matter.
http://legislatorsagainstrealid.com/

Quote -
"Most people prefer to believe their leaders are just and fair, even in the face of evidence to the contrary, because once a citizen acknowledges that the government under which they live is lying and corrupt, the citizen has to choose what he or she will do about it. To take action in the face of a corrupt government entails risks of harm to life and loved ones. To choose to do nothing is to surrender one's self-image of standing for principles. Most people do not have the courage to face that choice. Hence, most propaganda is not designed to fool the critical thinker but only to give moral cowards an excuse not to think at all..."

Jefferson Quotes.........................

http://plus613.net/image/34961

smileylovesfreedom
02-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Here's a little clip from what Ron Paul had to say on the topic at the Minnesota Rally last week....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgLnXDNqpuc

Pepsi
02-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Help repeal the REAL ID Act. Click on the link to send a Message to Congress, your Rep and Senators to tell them to support bills S. 717 and H.R. 111!

https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?JServSessionIdr004=y85zodbak3.app6a&cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=275

S. 717 =Bill Status
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-717

H.R. 111=Bill Status

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-111

Bruno
02-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Bump and this scares the hell out of me. I also believe most people will blindly follow along.

Michigan11
02-09-2008, 01:42 AM
This would be the last piece in place before a chip.

Send a message out to your meetup on monday, telling them to call their congressmen.

Bruno
02-09-2008, 01:45 AM
This would be the last piece in place before a chip.

Send a message out to your meetup on monday, telling them to call their congressmen.

"To make your Real ID theft and tamper-proof, we have decided to have them implanted into your hand..." Homeland Security Quote, circa 2011?

They've been practicing the technology on our pets for 20 years, folks.

Pepsi
02-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Bump

sluggo
02-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Message sent.

wirenut
02-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Theres no way im gonna get one of those damn cards. Something has to be done to
stop this. This is unbelievable.

HollyforRP
02-09-2008, 06:59 PM
They are trying to now say states have no say???

What if my State does not comply with REAL ID?
If a State chooses not to comply with the provisions of the final rule, its driver’s licenses and identification cards will no longer be acceptable for official Federal purposes. Individuals of the non-compliant States can still present other forms of acceptable identification such as a U.S. passport to board federally regulated commercial aircraft and access Federal facilities.

pinkmandy
02-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Some states need to secede. Seriously. We need a NEW country.

I will not be getting one, my husband won't...we will live wherever we feel safe not having one.

NMCB3
02-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Everyone needs to resist real ID. I cant believe only 17 states are acting to protect the rights of their citizens. My state (Alaska) is bravely leading its sheep to slaughter, they are licking the boots of their masters the Federal Gestapo.

Mach
02-09-2008, 09:34 PM

If a State chooses not to comply with the provisions of the final rule, its driver’s licenses and identification cards will no longer be acceptable for official Federal purposes. Individuals of the non-compliant States can still present other forms of acceptable identification such as a U.S. passport to board federally regulated commercial aircraft and access Federal facilities.

"Individuals of the non-compliant States can still present other forms of acceptable identification such as a U.S. passport to board federally regulated commercial aircraft and access Federal facilities."

How long would that -minimum- last, plus, what about their "red tape state", it's not just a physical thing, it's also a paperwork thing, Social Security, Taxes, Disability.... etc... etc... if you don't get a card, maybe, they'll just, "turn you off" and of course show the general public that you deserved it because of "the bad things you've done." Also, what about jobs, any States that don't go with RealID won't have any Federal Employees living and/or working for that Federal Government in them? Will they just close their offices in those States? Again..... etc.....etc... You may think that, this is, "out there", but, if the people would have been told just 20-30 years ago that this was going to happen in 2008, along with everything else that's happening, 90% of them would have called you a "wacko-crazy-freak", now those same people are just sitting there with their thumb up their *****, saying...."well, there's nothing we can do about it now."

Here, Official DHS - Department of Homeland Security..... Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) for the REAL ID act..... just remember.... (constituents = the people you vote for and their Lobbyist Buddies)
.................................................. .................................................. ....................................

Will REAL ID driver’s licenses include RFID cards?

The NPRM does not specify the use of RFID cards as a minimum standard. States may independently choose to implement an RFID solution, in addition to the standard 2-D barcode, to meet their constituent’s needs.

What was released on March 1?

On March 1, 2007, DHS released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) for the REAL ID act. This is a major step towards advancing the general requirements of the law into actionable plans for DHS and the States. The text of the NPRM is NOT the final rule. Rather, it is a draft of the rule that is being submitted for public comment. Constructive comments, both affirming and debating items in the NPRM, will help DHS determine the final rule.

Additionally, the NPRM, and the final rule, specify minimum requirements. States are encouraged to work beyond the minimum requirements as appropriate for their constituent’s needs.

What is a REAL ID license needed for?

The REAL ID Act requires that a REAL ID driver’s license be used for “official purposes,” as defined by DHS. In the proposed rule, DHS is proposing to limit the official purposes of a REAL ID license to those listed by Congress in the law: accessing a Federal facility; boarding Federally-regulated commercial aircraft; and entering nuclear power plants. DHS may consider expanding these official purposes through future rulemakings to maximize the security benefits of REAL ID.

CaveDog
02-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Implementation had been scheduled for 2008, but it's been pushed back to 2011 because too many states are fighting it and they hope to bring them into the fold by the later date.

Every time I see this topic, the speech made by Rep. Niel Kurk at the NH state house back in '06 comes to mind. It was one of the few moments when it was inspiring to see a little rebellion against fed.gov in a state assembly...

Rep. Kurk in the NH house, March 2006...

"I don't believe that the people of New Hampshire elected us to help the federal government create a national identification card.

We care more for our liberties than to meekly hand over to the federal government the potential to enumerate, track, identify and eventually control. But there's a price to be paid for such independance.

If we don't participate in the RealID system, we will have to use passports or other similar documentation to gain access to federal properties and to use air transportation. If we don't participate in the RealID system we may lose a three million dollar earmarked federal grant to update our motor vehicle department computers to make them RealID compliant. There's little doubt that both these consequenses will impose real burdens on our citizens, but I ask you, what price liberty?

If I may adapt the words of an American patriot who's resounding sentiments moved the Virginia house of burgesses to action in 1775...

It is in vain Mr. Speaker to extenuate the matter. Members may cry Peace! Peace! But there is no peace. The war on our civil liberties is actually begun. Will the next gail that sweeps from Washington bring to our ears the sounds of Federal boots on the march? Why stand we here idle? What is it that members wish? What would you have? Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death.

Our state motto, Mr. Speaker, is equally eloquent. "Live free or die".

I urge the member to overturn this ITL and pass this bill to protect the liberties and freedoms of thier friends, thier families, thier neighbors and thier constituants.

Thank you Mr. Speaker."

*applause from the house*

Delaware
02-09-2008, 11:12 PM
We need some type of action center for many of these things, Real ID, HR 1955, Other disastrous bills.

jmag
02-09-2008, 11:42 PM
H.R. 111=Bill Status

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-111

I think you meant this one instead.?

H.R. 1117: REAL ID Repeal and Identification Security Enhancement Act of 2007

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1117

patriot4paul
02-09-2008, 11:52 PM

The US Passports already have the chips in them!

patriot4paul
02-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Bump - because this is crucial!

QCB79
02-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Submitted for your approval...My REAL ID photo
http://www.penmachine.com/images/cashfinger-big.jpg

Mahkato
02-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Why do people in power always want more power? Is it really that awesome?

bj72
02-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Why do people in power always want more power? Is it really that awesome?

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." Lord Acton.

I'd say that is why the people, and states should have the bulk of the power, not the government...

I think they pushed off the final compliance date in part because it was an election year. They know if massive awareness occurred in May versus some delays and slaps on the wrist, that people would object more and the election would be Ron's. Instead, they'll slowly turn up the heat on our great melting pot till all our tails are cooked.

Since some on this thread seem new to the Real ID problem, here is an abridged scope of the topic, there are many more links not here (I sent this in a larger email to friends and family members). There are YouTube videos out there where someone interviewed all the candidates this summer...Ron was the only one opposed. The rest seemed a bit annoyed with the question too.

Although this is a huge topic, and many states are fighting it, did you notice how it was not a debate topic? I think it was asked once, and worded in such a manner not to allow real answers or debate on the issue. Also USDAs NAIS didn't come up at all. So, when you can no longer buy or sell without Real ID, good luck getting milk for your kids from your own cow or goat. I just heard on the radio tonight that they are saying Mad Cow is in the US (CO had some cases) and foot and mouth is a huge problem in England. The USDA's NAIS in the name of "safety" will be allowed to come on any animal owners property and seize or destroy said animals. As my husband says, it is genious...who's gonna say they want to be "less safe"? That is how they are passing all this stuff...gun control, Real ID, NAIS, UN Rights of the Child (against parental rights....see the counter and sign the petition at www.parentalrights.org)....to make us "more safe" and the masses are buying it. I for one would like to keep my civil liberties, and the constitution in tact and be "less safe" thank you.

Here are the links:

Real ID, RFID & NAIS

Real ID:

The Real ID Act of 2005 was passed as a rider on H.R. 1268, a military spending and tsunami relief bill, "Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami Relief, 2005." (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:H.R.1268: ). There was no debate on this legislation. It violates the first, fourth, and tenth amendments. It is opposed by many states and civil rights groups. It will be eventually required for travel, banking, job verification…and yes, to buy and sell. They already have stated that once they start enforcing it, you will not be able to travel by air or enter federal property without it. The ID itself features a picture of North America, not just the United States. It is not only a de facto national ID, but also an international ID card. There are better ways to strengthen our security; we do not need a Real ID card.

Congressman Ron Paul was one of only a few that stood against the Real ID Act when it was voted on. All the current candidates support Real ID. In various statements, Huckabee, Obama, and Clinton have said they only oppose it due limited funding, and simply want to add more funding to implement it in the states. Other candidates just flat out support it (McCain). Ron Paul is the only candidate that has gone on record saying he would work to repeal it.

http://www.legislatorsagainstrealid.com/realidisintid.php (Legislator’s Against Real ID)

http://www.realnightmare.org/

http://norealid.com/

http://www.dhs.gov/xprevprot/laws/gc_1172767635686.shtm (the government’s site)

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/01/montana-governo.html

http://www.wanttoknow.info/microchipsimplantsmediaarticles

http://desertbeacon.blogspot.com/2007/11/another-fine-mess-real-id-act-rules-may.html

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2007/02/14/some-sensible-thoughts-on-the-real-id-act/

http://epic.org/privacy/id-cards/

http://papersplease.org/wp/

http://realidwatch.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html

http://www.squidoo.com/amishrfid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

http://www.vutorch.com/vutorch/2007/03/real-id.html

http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/02/washington/02id.html&OQ=_rQ3D3Q26orefQ3DsloginQ26orefQ3Dslogin&OP=69ce2b4fQ2F,Q7EQ2Aa,dK8cbKKRQ27,Q27Q23Q23e,Q23@ ,Q23Q27,Q7ENcTrqvRKq,Q23Q27rdQ5DTRkQ2F

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=ACLU+presses+candidates+to+r epeal+Real+ID+card+law&articleId=af6c8956-b540-485b-ad8b-0d170ac0b42c

RFID & NAIS:

RFID stands for Radio-frequency Identification and is a method of automatic identification that retrieves and stores data using transponders or RFID tags. There are passive, active and semi-active tags. RFID can be used on products to track inventory. There are also sub-dermal (implantable) RFID tags for use in humans and animals. RFID can also now be applied with special ink via tattoo.

The USDA has a program called NAIS (National Animal Identification System), it is also known as AIN (Animal Identification System). Their goal is to chip or tag (via RFID chips or tattoos) every animal in the United States. The beginning phase is “voluntary”. It is slated to be mandatory later.

Already USDA officials have fought their way onto family farms with sheriffs to forcibly implement their NAIS/AIN program. Those in opposition are told they will have to relinquish their animals if they do not submit to the program. The costs of the program for those who do submit will put many of our family farms out of business. By accepting the program, farmers (and also those who just own a few animals), also accept the government’s right to come in and destroy their livestock for whatever reason it deems necessary. The Amish are already leaving farming as an income source in some states due to this program (although USDA officials deny this is why they are stopping, the Amish have spoken out through other Christians on the internet).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID

http://www.ddj.com/embedded/192204845 (RFID for military members, “VeriChip Wants To Test Human Implantable RFID On Military”)

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/18/rfid-tattoos-for-tracking-cows-and-people/

Companies selling implantable & tattoo RFID applications:

http://www.verichipcorp.com/ (subdermal RFID for humans)

http://www.digitalangel.com/ (parent company of Verichip, holds many govt. contracts)

http://www.somarkinnovations.com/ (RFID tattoo for people and animals)

Organizations against implantable & tattoo RFID applications:

http://nonais.org/index.php/can-nais-affect-me

www.familyfarmdefenders.com

http://www.epic.org/

www.spychips.com

(Dr. Katherine Albrecht’s site, she has written books on RFID)

gaazn
02-10-2008, 01:23 AM
if real ID is the mark of the beast, then we can't do anything about it but pray.

ArrestPoliticians
02-10-2008, 01:46 AM
GO ACLU GO!!!(never thought I'd say this)

Carole
02-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Sent letter. Glad you brought up the subject as I was just about to start a thread. :)

We need to get this to all the churches and organizations in our areas.

My Senator is Jay Rockefeller. I am doomed. :)

Mahkato
02-10-2008, 01:33 PM
It's so sad to see the world becoming what all of those dystopian movies and books have predicted. There's not really any place to flee to.