PDA

View Full Version : Paul brings 'freedom revolution' to Cedar Rapids

Bradley in DC
08-09-2007, 11:38 PM
http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070809/IOWACAUCUS/70809056/1011/IOWACAUCUS

Paul brings 'freedom revolution' to Cedar RapidsBy James Q. Lynch
The Gazette
james.lynch@gazettecommunications.com

CEDAR RAPIDS - Republican presidential hopeful Rep. Ron Paul's ``freedom revolution'' hit Cedar Rapids tonight, gathering up recruits with calls to end the war in Iraq ``and the war on our liberties'' at home.

More than 200 people, many who said they had never been involved in politics, cheered his call for abolishing the income tax, leaving the United Nations, returning to sound monetary policies and the end of entitlement programs that erode personal freedom.

``People believe government will take care of us,'' said Paul, who called himself a ``reluctant candidate.'' ``They talk about entitlement as if they are rights.''

That sort of talk is what inspired Satadru Hore of Iowa City to the campaign and the rally.

``A lot of young people have realized they will have to bear the financial burden for the entitlement programs,'' Hore said.

``A lot of them want the government to leave them alone,'' he said. ``I don't want anything from government and that's what Ron Paul will deliver.''

Paul said he's been trying to plant the seeds of liberty quietly over the years, never expecting a whole lot to come of it.

``I never thought there were enough people ready for a real revolution, but my pessimism was unfounded,'' he said.

Although often called a libertarian, Paul, a 10-term member of Congress from Texas, believes the answers to the nation's problems can be found ``in the rhetoric of the Republican party, arguing for limited government, for following the Constitution and for working for personal liberty.''

The grass roots, especially in the Republican party, are responding to that message, Paul said. Fiscal conservatives have been ``annoyed'' with the way Republicans have spent money and Paul promises to return to the Republican tradition of less government intervention in people's lives and less government
spending.

``That general message is attractive to a lot of people,'' the self-described ``champion of the Constitution'' said, adding that he has been particularly encouraged by the $15 and $20 donations from college students.

The popularity of his message with younger voters was apparent at last night's rally at the Crowne Plaza Five Seasons Hotel.

Phil Young of Cedar Rapids tried to avoid politics in the past, ``but when I learned about Ron Paul,. There was light in the darkness,'' he said as he waited for the ``Justice,'' an Iowa country band to open the rally.

``He really is different,'' Young said about Paul's libertarian ideology. ``There is hope.''

But there was plenty of gray hair in the audience, too. The first campaign button Jim Whitford of Volga said ``Win with Wilkie.'' Since then, his wife, Dalene, said, they've been conservatives and have participated in Republican politics at the local level. ``Not lately, though,'' she said.The Whitford, who were attending their third Paul rally, are attracted to Paul's strong adherence to the Constitution, his non-interventionist foreign policy and opposition to treaties, such as NAFTA, and the North American Union.

Paul will be competing in the Iowa GOP straw poll Saturday, but isn't providing bus rides to the event or free tickets to supporters. However, Tim Olson of Cedar Rapids, a campaign activist, thinks Paul may surprise people.

Paul doesn't show much strength in polls because his supporters tend to be young people who use cell phones and aren't called by pollsters, Olson said.

Plus, Olson said, Paul attracts many Republicans and independents.

John King was a registered independent until he joined Paul's campaign ``because I'm tired of my government destroying my rights and sending troops overseas to instill democracies while undermining it at home.''

njandrewg
08-09-2007, 11:48 PM
good article...all this buzz in Iowa papers will definetly help

LibertyEagle
08-10-2007, 07:52 AM
http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070809/IOWACAUCUS/70809056/1011/IOWACAUCUS

Cowlesy
08-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Nice article!

JaylieWoW
08-10-2007, 08:06 AM
``I never thought there were enough people ready for a real revolution, but my pessimism was unfounded,'' he said.

My favorite part!

JosephTheLibertarian
08-10-2007, 08:07 AM
40,000 will come to vote? hmm 1100 voting for Dr Paul definitely.. I really hope we can pull it off with all of these different things, maybe grab a lot before they vote as well.

Mister Grieves
08-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Has there been any speculation as to the percentage Paul could possibly win Ames with? I mean all the other candidates being pro-war, I assume that will split their votes up quite a bit. With Paul being the only outspoken opponent against the actions in Iraq he should snare all who are against it. What would be a ballpark figure for him to pull in order to win?

25%?

Bradley in DC
08-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Nevermind