PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to our Bryan in Iowa!

Bradley in DC
08-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Dr. Ron Paul stumps for straw poll votes
http://www.oskaloosaherald.com/local/local_story_221164629.html?start:int=0

By WES KAPPELMAN
The Oskaloosa Herald

OSKALOOSA —

Braving last night’s storm, more than 25 people ate pizza and listened to Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul speak at the Pizza Ranch.

Paul is trying to gain support before Saturday’s Ames straw poll.

Paul, a U.S. representative from Texas, said the United States still has a lot of wealth and freedom, but they are eroding in part due to a large government and in part due to the global war on terror.

“The war is on our liberties as much as it is on terrorists,” Paul said.Paul also questioned how the Republican Party could win an election defending the war in Iraq.

“We need a change in direction,” Paul said.

Paul said he would get troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

He said the Democrats, which he said got elected in 2006 running against the war, care more about not getting blamed for the war than getting out of the war.

He said Republicans and Democrats are “fighting more over power, not policy.”

Paul also said he wants to get rid of Selective Service.

“To me it’s involuntary servitude,” Paul said. He said it should have been banned with the banning of slavery.

He said the notion that if an 18-year-old owes service to his country, then a 45-year-old would probably owe more.

Paul said he is against the income tax and said since it was established in 1913, the U.S. has been getting in wars it does not belong in.

Paul said the government should be smaller and less controlling in people’s lives, citing education and medical care as examples.

He also said he was pro-life and that life should be defined at conception.

Bryan, of Houston, Texas, came to Iowa to help out Paul’s campaign. Bryan recorded Paul’s Oskaloosa visit for YouTube.

“I just put one up a couple days ago that had 22,000 people look at it,”.

Meet-up groups are essentially the base of the campaign, Paul said.

Paul’s wife’s cousin, Cathy Hickling, and her two sons traveled from Pittsburgh, Pa., to support Paul for the straw poll. They sang folk songs before Paul spoke, playing acoustic guitars and a banjo.

“We’ve just been going from town to town, having a blast, meeting people, singing ‘The Ballad of Ron Paul’ over and over again, and basically trying to be supportive to the campaign.”

Hickling said she wrote the “The Ballad of Ron Paul” during Paul’s run for the House of Representatives in the 1970s.

Herald Staff Writer Wes Kappelman can be reached by e-mail at news2@oskyherald.com

Bryan
08-10-2007, 10:44 AM
LOL. Thanks, yeah, I almost forgot about that.

Of course it was Cathy's song mentioned here that I used for my Iowa debate video:

Ron Paul: Fighting for you and me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6pGHwJr4zE

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Nice job, Bryan!

(But only 25 people?)

ARealConservative
08-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Nice job, Bryan!

(But only 25 people?)

I didn't get that trip.

He was in Fairfield Sunday which is the Ottumwa Market. Oskaloosa is also in that Ottumwa market.

Larger communities on the eastern side of the state were totally ignored. Davenport, Muscatine, Burlington, Clinton, Dubuque. Not a single visit, or radio ad that I am aware of.

Spirit of '76
08-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Paul’s wife’s cousin, Cathy Hickling, and her two sons traveled from Pittsburgh, Pa., to support Paul for the straw poll. They sang folk songs before Paul spoke, playing acoustic guitars and a banjo.

“We’ve just been going from town to town, having a blast, meeting people, singing ‘The Ballad of Ron Paul’ over and over again, and basically trying to be supportive to the campaign.”

Hickling said she wrote the “The Ballad of Ron Paul” during Paul’s run for the House of Representatives in the 1970s.[/email]

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1297/1012973108_2afa572065.jpg

Bryan
08-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Nice job, Bryan!

(But only 25 people?)
Thanks.

It was pouring rain-- really bad, the streets were flooded and the wind was blowing. It was so bad that one of the campaign signs got blown into the street and we watched it float away down the street for 30 yards until it was out of view. No one thought it was worth getting run over for a $5 sign that got run over.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1297/1012973108_2afa572065.jpg
That's them. I love that song.

jacmicwag
08-15-2007, 11:21 PM
The truth is Bryan is secretly working on a novel that will make Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas look like child's play. It's either that or an appointment to Secretary of State that drives this RP junkie. Keep up the good work Bryan. The fun in Iowa is just beginning.