PDA

View Full Version : Idea to get the "GOP" Nomination

nate895
02-08-2008, 09:20 PM
even if McCain wins outright.

Simple: Ron Paul announces that he's running Independent, when we get to the convention, the delegates that are bound to vote for McCain simply walk out right before the nomination technically happens, and hold their own convention where they nominate Ron Paul to be the GOP nominee. We could get a lot of states to have the majority leave and be put on their states' ballots as the GOP nominee, and then McCain would have to be independent in those states, and we'd be independent where that didn't happen. It would be a wonderful site to see a whole bunch of delegates streaming their way out of the convention to hold their own.

gerryb
02-08-2008, 09:31 PM
you're not talking any sense.

nate895
02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
you're not talking any sense.

What, it has happened before, (It was in 1860 last time) why not now?

Redcard
02-08-2008, 09:44 PM
What, it has happened before, (It was in 1860 last time) why not now?

Do you realize what happened in 1860?

Do you really think this country is ready to go to a civil war over a man who can't break 10%?

If you're going to bring Lincoln in on this, you need to realize what the political circumstances were that surrounded the 1860 election. This election is nothing like that.

nate895
02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Do you realize what happened in 1860?

Do you really think this country is ready to go to a civil war over a man who can't break 10%?

If you're going to bring Lincoln in on this, you need to realize what the political circumstances were that surrounded the 1860 election. This election is nothing like that.

I wasn't saying a war need be waged, just a contentious election. We've had contentious elections in the past without wars happening.

PaulineDisciple
02-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Sounds far fetched but with Ron Paul as our commander, we will do it if he asks us to. Knowing that we have so many supporters that have become delegates regardless of the candidate they may or may not be bound to vote for in the first round or so, this just might work. In fact, I am going to become a delegate here in Missouri and although my state voted for McCain, I am becoming a delegate just for a senario like this. Just don't let the other candidates know what we are up to.

Redcard
02-08-2008, 09:53 PM
I wasn't saying a war need be waged, just a contentious election. We've had contentious elections in the past without wars happening.

Calling 1860 a "contentious election" is like calling Vietnam a "Police action."

The 1860 Election was a complete and intentional disenfranchisement of the South, and might as well have been a declared act of war.

nate895
02-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Calling 1860 a "contentious election" is like calling Vietnam a "Police action."

The 1860 Election was a complete and intentional disenfranchisement of the South, and might as well have been a declared act of war.

See, nobody is going to secede because Ron Paul did or did not get elected, and if they did, no war would be fought anyway because there would be international outrage at the US.

zahirakids
02-08-2008, 10:27 PM
why not just have paul supporters get elected as bound McCain delegates and alternates and then accidently miss the vote at the convention.