PDA

View Full Version : Southern Minn. teen cited for Ron Paul decal

RonPaulFanInGA
02-08-2008, 08:18 PM
http://kstp.com/article/stories/S341013.shtml?cat=1

OWATONNA, Minn. (AP) - Cody Hauer is an enthusiastic Ron Paul supporter, but it could cost him more than $550 after receiving four citations in one week for having a large decal on his rear window.

Hauer, 18, decided to support the Republican presidential hopeful by displaying a 13-inch-by-40-inch "Ron Paul Revolution" decal on his Buick Park Avenue. The problem is, such decals are illegal if they obstruct the driver's view.

Still, Hauer questions whether he was targeted and says he plans to contest each citation in court next month.

"I support Ron Paul, the city Police Department doesn't," he said. "They gave me a DWR - driving while Republican."

Owatonna Police Chief Shaun LaDue disputes that.

"The political aspect of this doesn't enter into the equation at all," LaDue told The Associated Press. "It's very clear in state statute that you cannot have anything that obstructs the driver's vision."

http://www.owatonna.com/SiteImages/FeaturePhoto/2461.8-Window-sticker.jpg

Jae0
02-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Oh wah if its against the law its against the law. He should buy some magnets for the car doors and bumber. They're great.

mexicanpizza
02-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Where do we donate for his defense?

foofighter20x
02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Uh... Observe the rules of the road. *shrug* This is one of those times when you need to choose your battles wisely (i.e. don't pick at this one).

Trigonx
02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I think its retarded, you can clearly still see behind you through it. it blocks like 10% of the window but you can easily see through the back window

John of Des Moines
02-08-2008, 08:23 PM
The cops are morons. "To obstruct the driver's view" means the view in front of or to the side of the vehicle otherwise every big rig with a rear window is in violation of the law while pulling a rear view obstructing trailers. That's why vehicles have mirrors. (Just thought a car pulling a trailer is in violation as well.

DisabledVet
02-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Wait wait wait.

BULLSHIT.

Have the court explain to the kid how a SEMI TRUCK driver and well.. DELIVERY TRUCK drivers whom DON'T HAVE BACK WINDOWS are not being cited?

NTSB states you only have to have SIDE VIEW mirrors....you can absolutely have your rear window COMPLETELY obstructed.

BULL BULL BULL!!!

Jae0
02-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Uh... Observe the rules of the road. *shrug* This is one of those times when you need to choose your battles wisely (i.e. don't pick at this one).

Yeah we've got bigger battles to wage.

Fields
02-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Wait wait wait.

BULLSHIT.

Have the court explain to the kid how a SEMI TRUCK driver and well.. DELIVERY TRUCK drivers whom DON'T HAVE BACK WINDOWS are not being cited?

NTSB states you only have to have SIDE VIEW mirrors....you can absolutely have your rear window COMPLETELY obstructed.

BULL BULL BULL!!!

+1

Fox McCloud
02-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I'd contest it too...if it was a solid sign, yeah, I could see him getting in trouble, but a sign like that will NOT obstruct view enough to matter---if you hit someone with that sticker, you would have hit them anyway (or you're just responsible).

this is just ridiculous...I hope he wins.

colecrowe
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Contest it. The points about pulling a trailer etc.

kgiese
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
How did he ever see the officer behind him. I am surprised he was even able to pull over. Thank God the officer got him off the road before anyone was harmed. What about motorcycles they lack a rear window? Plus the helmet makes it very difficult to see. I would also be concerned about large semi trucks, as they are often pulling trailers, and the size of those trucks makes it diificult to see. Other dangerous vehicles: SUVs, lack of rear sight, Lamborginni and Ferraris are notorius for poor rear views. Thank God you live in a place where the major law enforcement concern is window stickers.

Soccrmastr
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
That hardly obstructs the vision. HAHA DWR! I hope this guy wins and gets to keep his decal.

Trigonx
02-08-2008, 08:34 PM
he needs to fight the citations by basically saying that the premise of the tickets is false since it is legal to have it on his window since he can see through the window and his view has not been obstructed.

wgadget
02-08-2008, 08:35 PM
http://kstp.com/article/stories/S341013.shtml?cat=1

http://www.owatonna.com/SiteImages/FeaturePhoto/2461.8-Window-sticker.jpg

Peek-a-boo....I see you!

"obstructing the driver's vision?" wth?

plb
02-08-2008, 08:43 PM
How about a $550 money bomb :D

Joseph Hart
02-08-2008, 08:46 PM
I think its retarded, you can clearly still see behind you through it. it blocks like 10% of the window but you can easily see through the back window

Isnt 12% the legal limit? I know its for tinted windows but whats the damn difference? Cops are a44hole5

Joseph Hart
02-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Contest it. The points about pulling a trailer etc.

Ron Paul is alot bigger than a trailer. Hes hauling the whole country's future on his backwindow. I Think its Censorship.

gerryb
02-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Yeah we've got bigger battles to wage.

Every battle is comprised of many elements. He should not just give in. Other posters in this thread make valid points that should make his case bullet proof.

nc4rp
02-08-2008, 08:52 PM
reminds me of Freedom to Fascism. slowly stripping rights away. in due time decals wont be allowed at all on cars. or in yards, unless they are for a corperate product.

TruthAtLast
02-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Wait wait wait.

BULLSHIT.

BULL BULL BULL!!!

Good point

drulay
02-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I agree - this is garbage. Those decals no more interfere with his view than having people in the backseat and the amount their heads would block.

Back windows have never been included in LoS for semi trucks, pick up trucks with campers, among other vehicle arrangements that make the view out of the back window impossible - as long as you still have your side mirrors you are ok.

It is state laws, but I know in Michigan, you could spray paint your back window black if you wanted to. But the front three windows are where the restrictions are (tint %, etc)

MattMinnesota
02-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Isnt 12% the legal limit? I know its for tinted windows but whats the damn difference? Cops are a44hole5

You're thinking of window tint and the rules for that vary by state.