PDA

View Full Version : The Constitution of the United States, a Pagan document

New Governor Of Alaska
02-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Hello, everyone.
It's pretty interesting and thought provoking essay, so I hope we'll have a good discussion here....

The Constitution of the United States, a Pagan document

The only mention of religion in the Constitution comes from exclusionary wording:

Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion

no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Frustrating to both Pagans and Christians, nowhere in the Constitution does it mention a god. Or does it?

Fear not my fellow Pagans. Indeed it does! Within Amendment XX, you will find the word "January" which comes from the Latin Janus which refers to our God Janus, the Roman god of doors and gateways. Sunday (mentioned in Article 1, Sec.7) comes from the word Sunne which refers to the Saxon Sun god. March (see Amendment XII), comes from the Latin, Martius, and refers to our Pagan God Mars.

Some Christians have tried to claim the ratification date at the end of the document as referring to Jesus [2] but this fails for the reason that no Christian worships dates while nothing prevents Pagans around the world from worshiping the God Janus in January, Mars in March and the Saxon Sun god on Sunday.

Of course Pagan Enlightenment thinking also influenced the Constitution, as well as many early American Deists. Deism served such a powerful force in the formation of a naturalistic and scientific viewpoint in the minds of our founding fathers that it shouldn't surprise anyone that in 1787-1788, opponents frequently argued that the Constitution represented a deistic conspiracy to overthrow the Christian commonwealth. [Kramnick]

The Constitution also uses words like "Senate," "Justice," "Liberty" which describe Greek and Roman concepts, all of them Pagan to the very core, not to mention that our very concept of democracy came from the Pagan Greeks.

The Declaration of Independence, a Pagan document

Although strictly not a lawful document, the Declaration of Independence, a pre-government document, revealed the first attempt by the American colonists to establish their own independence from Great Britain. The Declaration also mentions god where the religious-right of modern times have tried to use as evidence for their Christian god. But does the god of the Declaration speak about a Biblical god? No, not at all. Clearly the god mentioned describes a Pagan concept. Lets look at the Declaration's words directly:

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume, among the Powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Thomas Jefferson thought of himself as a scientist more than he did a politician. Consider that the "Laws of Nature" describe a materialist viewpoint, many times referred to as Newton's laws in the years following Newton's discovery of the laws of gravity, light, and calculus mathematics. (Thomas Jefferson greatly admired Isaac Newton and anyone who visits Monticello will see the influence he had on Jefferson.) Clearly Jefferson intended "Nature's God," not to refer to the personal god of superstitious Christianity, but of a physical god of nature, the laws of physics-- Nature's God. In 1809 Jefferson wrote, "Nature intended me for the tranquil pursuits of science, by rendering them my supreme delight." Clearly Jefferson thought of Nature as God.

But even if you do not feel persuaded that Nature's God means the Laws of Nature and you insist that it refers to a supernatural god, then you still cannot use it to support a Judeo-Christian god. Why? Because to call the God of the Bible as Nature's God would not only contradict the Bible but would constitute heresy in the minds of 18th century Christian leaders of both the Protestant and Catholic faith. Nature's God describes a Pagan concept because nature describes the world. The Biblical concept of nature describes the earth (the world), the planets, plant, man and animal as nature, but certainly not as a part of God. According to Christianity God and Jesus come from above. The God of Christianity does not come from this world:

The alleged Jesus said, "You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world." [John 8:23] and "My kingship is not of this world..." [John 18:36]

But to the Pagans, many gods of nature exist. The Egyptian, Hindu, Greek and Roman religions describe a plethora of gods of nature. Below gives just a few examples of Pagan nature gods from various religions:

A Few Examples of Pagan Nature Gods

The Egyptians worshiped Anuket- Goddess of the Nile, Baal- God of the Desert, Yamm- God of the sea, etc. The Hindus worshiped Vedic Gods: Surya- God of the Sun, Agni- God of fire, Varuna- God of Rain, etc. The Greeks had Apollo- God of the Sun, Aphrodite- Goddess of love, Poseidon- God of the Sea, etc. The Romans honored Ceres- Goddess of Corn, Libertas- Goddess of Liberty, Neptune- God of the Sea, etc. The Pagan nature gods number in the thousands.

Clearly then, to worship a god of nature regardless of whether you think it means the laws of nature of a supernatural god of nature means practicing Paganism by the very meaning of the word.

To continue with words in the Declaration:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

The Declaration echoes John Locke's idea [1] that in the "state of nature," all human beings lived free and equal (Locke would remain a hero of Jefferson throughout his life). [Mapp] The idea that "all men are created equal" goes against Biblical doctrine. The Bible supports inequality from a top down hierarchy: God-man-woman-beast (Catholic dogma adds the church and their priests between God and man). Moreover the word "Creator" describes a Deistic term in the 1700s.

Jefferson, in his many papers and correspondences throughout his life expressed a Deistic view of religion. Deists did not believe in miracles, revealed religion, the authority of the clergy, or the divinity of Jesus. Jefferson regarded ethics, not faith, as the essence of religion. Of course Deists believed in a creator, but thought that the original Creator no longer lived or did not play any part in the world or influenced the lives of people. That goes to the very reason why the American founding fathers knew that they (We the people) had to form the laws of the land, laws based on human reasoning.

Nowhere else in the Declaration (or any other founding document) do we find mention of gods or creators. The entire bases of connecting god with the U.S. government rests entirely on only three words, "Nature's God" and "Creator." Nothing more. And even these three words come from a deist describing a Pagan concept!

READ MORE -http://www.nobeliefs.com/pagan.htm

http://akaka.senate.gov/public/images/statue_of_freedom_main.jpg

http://www.teafoe.com/_borders/ColorGal.jpg

The Statue of Freedom atop the U.S. Capitol Building was erected in 1863.

http://www.aoc.gov/cc/art/freedom.cfm

nate895
02-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I still don't get why the people on these forums seem to think that the founders believed that religion shouldn't be involved in politics, even Benjamin Franklin said it takes a moral society to maintain our liberties. Also, it is Christians who are weary of things like the NAU because it shows us that the end times are coming and they're closer than you think. That's why Christians, because they are Christians, should vote for Dr. Paul.

RockEnds
02-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I still don't get why the people on these forums seem to think that the founders believed that religion shouldn't be involved in politics, even Benjamin Franklin said it takes a moral society to maintain our liberties. Also, it is Christians who are weary of things like the NAU because it shows us that the end times are coming and they're closer than you think. That's why Christians, because they are Christians, should vote for Dr. Paul.

Morality and religion are not mutually inclusive.

nate895
02-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Morality and religion are not mutually inclusive.

Yes, because Pagans are really moral.

Tugboat1988
02-08-2008, 07:28 PM
A pagan document? Well, it's not a religious document.

It's a political document, I'd offer. If it were a religious document, then I suppose it would have set up government as a religion. The founders didn't seem to desire it to accomplish that. What it did do, concerning religion, was to provide a political system that would not influence itself on religious practices or limit religious choice of individuals.

If that's a pagan document, then it is a positive one because it refuses to allow government authority to take my place in making my own decisions, and obviously prepared by wise people who were people of faith.

John of Des Moines
02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
I do see "Lord" mentioned in the Constitution.

And Divine Providence in the Declaration

Zavoi
02-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Fear not my fellow Pagans. Indeed it does! Within Amendment XX, you will find the word "January" which comes from the Latin Janus which refers to our God Janus, the Roman god of doors and gateways. Sunday (mentioned in Article 1, Sec.7) comes from the word Sunne which refers to the Saxon Sun god. March (see Amendment XII), comes from the Latin, Martius, and refers to our Pagan God Mars.

Some Christians have tried to claim the ratification date at the end of the document as referring to Jesus [2] but this fails for the reason that no Christian worships dates while nothing prevents Pagans around the world from worshiping the God Janus in January, Mars in March and the Saxon Sun god on Sunday.
:D:D:D This can't possibly be serious.

WilliamC
02-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Well it's not an observation I would make, claiming a document was Pagan because it uses the names of months in it.

But wait! In the second amendment it says "keep and bear arms..."

And we all know bears are animals.

And animals are important to druids.

So the Constitution is a druid document too, yes?

Gee, and here I thought it was a secular political document ;)

IPSecure
02-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Christmas - a pagan ritual...

New Governor Of Alaska
02-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Christmas - a pagan ritual...

It is.

Well it's not an observation I would make, claiming a document was Pagan because it uses the names of months in it.

But wait! In the second amendment it says "keep and bear arms..."

And we all know bears are animals.

And animals are important to druids.

So the Constitution is a druid document too, yes?

Gee, and here I thought it was a secular political document ;)

That's good one! :D :D :D

http://www.savethemales.ca/druid4.jpg

http://www.savethemales.ca/001071.html

The Fraternal Druid
Beginning in 1717, Ancient Order of Druids was founded. Since then, several more British revivalist groups formed, often to this day acting more as a fraternal or charitable group, such as Masons. Usually only men, often Christian. Members have included Winston Churchill to British royalty.
http://www.dobhran.com/DPtypes.htm

It is a relatively little know fact that one of Britain’s most celebrated, though far from uncontroversial, statesmen, Winston Churchill, was a Druid. In the first decade of the twentieth century the still relatively obscure Churchill dabbled with a number of esoteric organisations most notably the Freemasons and his initiation into Druidic rites appears to have been an outgrowth of this.
http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/obscure2/druid.html

RockEnds
02-08-2008, 08:18 PM

You could name any religion. Saying that it takes a moral society to maintain liberty is different than saying it takes a religious society. Religion and morality are not the same thing. Both Osama bin Laden and George Bush claim to be religious. Neither seem to be making a positive contribution toward liberty.

theczar1776
02-08-2008, 09:28 PM
more absurd bible thumping, keep it in church

Conservative Christian
02-08-2008, 10:47 PM
You could name any religion. Saying that it takes a moral society to maintain liberty is different than saying it takes a religious society. Religion and morality are not the same thing. Both Osama bin Laden and George Bush claim to be religious. Neither seem to be making a positive contribution toward liberty.

Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Kim Il-Sung and Nicolae Ceaucescu were all self-proclaimed atheists.

I don't recall them making much of a positive contribution to liberty either.

sophocles07
02-08-2008, 11:16 PM

See: Demosthenes, Cicero, Cato Minor, etc.

Pagans be rockin.

axiomata
02-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I feel dumber as a result of reading this thread. In order to save brain cells I will refrain from clicking on threads started by the New Governor of Alaska from now on. Carry on.

sophocles07
02-10-2008, 02:38 AM
I feel dumber as a result of reading this thread.

Paraphrase: "Any text that does not give you something draws something from you."
-Ezra Pound,

someone also interested in

monetary POLICY