PDA

View Full Version : Please Read. We need Merle Haggard to get behind Ron Paul! (Endorsement!)

anitasanger
02-08-2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP1RN1rlshs

this is his song "are the good times really over for good" it is basically everything ron paul wants to do. we need this to be his theme song! check out the youtube video above and below are the lyrics. we need to contact merle and get him to endorse dr. paul. this could be HUGE for all the good ol' boys and country folks votes!

Are the Good Times Really Over

I wish a buck was still silver and it was back when the country was strong.
Back before Elvis and before the Vietnam war came along.
Before the Beatles and yesterday when a man could still work and still would.
Is the best of the free life behind us now and are the good times really over for good ?

Are we rollin’ downhill like a snowball headed for hell?
With no kind of chance for the flag or the liberty bell?
I wish a Ford or a Chevy would still last ten years like they should.
Is the best of the free life behind us now and are the good times really over for good?

I wish Coke was still cola and a joint was a bad place to be.
It was back before Nixon lied to us all on TV.
Before Microwave ovens when a girl could still cook, and still would.
Is the best of the free life behind us now and are the good times really over for good ?

Are we rollin’ downhill like a snowball headed for hell?
With no kind of chance for the flag or the liberty bell?
I wish a Ford or a Chevy would still last ten years like they should.
Is the best of the free life behind us now and are the good times really over for good?

Stop rollin’ downhill like a snowball headed for hell.
Stand up for the flag, and let’s all ring the liberty bell.
Let’s make a Ford and a Chevy that’ll still last ten years like they should…
The best of the free life is still yet to come and the good times ain’t over for good.

familydog
02-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I think he endorsed Hillary...lol :confused:

anitasanger
02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
are you serious. if so, un be )(&#@) lievable. how ccould he write that song and endorse a communist. what is the world coming to. i mean seriously......

Vox Populi
02-08-2008, 05:16 PM
are you serious. if so, un be )(&#@) lievable. how ccould he write that song and endorse a communist. what is the world coming to. i mean seriously......

That's what I said! It's true that he did endorse Hillary a few months back. :(

Maybe somebody should inform him about Dr. Paul. I mean, check out this recent Merle music video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jrHPjm4qKM

Hillary Cinton?!?!?!?!?!?! Are you kiddin' me?!?!?

anitasanger
02-08-2008, 05:25 PM
yeah vox, i mean hillary and obama for that matter stand against everything that song represents!!!!!!!! they are the exact OPPOSITE of freedom!!!

anitasanger
02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
crap i just watched that new video. HE NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT RON PAUL!

ToryNotion
02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
great american musician and songwriter or ignorant hillbilly knee-jerk "liberal"

you decide

ToryNotion
02-08-2008, 05:29 PM
he wrote a song for her

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/03/01/merle_haggard_writes_song_for_presidenti

i;m going to puke

Lovecraftian4Paul
02-08-2008, 05:30 PM
I like some of Haggard's songs, but his endorsement would only help among conservatives. Though if his Hillary endorsement is true: LOL! Amazing that he shifted to her after writing this verse:

Before Microwave ovens when a girl could still cook, and still would.

anitasanger
02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
okay merle..... you sing about freedom and the preservation of american ideals yet you support someone who:

loves the patriot act, which
destroys freedom of speech
allows illegal house searches
gives president tyrannical powers

and also:
wants to take away all of your guns
wants to take away your land for the sake of endangered dung beetles
wants to turn america into a police state
wants to undermine national sovereignty
wants to cut a mexican super highway through the heartland
wants to sell out america totally to mexico and canada!!!!!

MERELE. I LOVE YOUR MUSIC AND HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR YOU, BUT YOUR MUSICAL IDEALS AND POLITICAL SUPPORT COMPLETELY CONTRADICT EACH OTHER. STAND FOR AMERICA PLEASE.

Vox Populi
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
great american musician and songwriter or ignorant hillbilly knee-jerk "liberal"

you decide

How about maybe he's like alot of people and doesn't know about Dr. Paul, and thinks he's supporting the right person? Clinton does speak out of both sides of her mouth and the Republicans have brought about big government as of late, in case you didn't notice.

Perhaps, he just doesn't know about Dr. Paul?

Vox Populi
02-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I like some of Haggard's songs, but his endorsement would only help among conservatives.

Since we are in the GOP primaries, I'd say that would be a good thing.:)

QCB79
02-08-2008, 05:38 PM
We just need Willie Nelson, Hank Jr, Hank III, Kid Rock and a few others to hold a little Ron Paul endorsement concert. i know Willie supports Ron and I'm pretty sure the others would if they dont already

Broadlighter
02-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Haggard's a mixed bag. He went from "Okie From Muskogee" and "Rednecks, White Sox and Blue Ribbon Beer" to singing praises to Martin Luther King. The man has a great heart and an incredible personal history, but his messages are confusing.

He should know about Ron Paul, but don't court him for an endorsement. He flip-flops more than Mitt Romney.

Vox Populi
02-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Haggard's a mixed bag. He went from "Okie From Muskogee" and "Rednecks, White Sox and Blue Ribbon Beer" to singing praises to Martin Luther King.

That sounds alright to me. There may be some things you don't like about MLK, but there are many things to admire about MLK. There are many things that I admire about MLK.

Dave39168
02-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Lol yeah i thought the same thing, I have always listened to Merle. We had a cookout a while back down at the river just chilling around the bonfire, and i was telling everyone why they should vote for ron paul etc etc. Then somebody puts this song on. One of my buddy's starts to sing along "Wish a buck was still silver, it was back, when the country was strong..." I interrupted "Well hell man! better vote for ron paul if you want some money that's backed by something!" He is one that was already kinda interested in ron paul, and I made a few more points about ron paul in the song (vietnam war etc).

Merle not great for an endorsement but still an awesome song.

Dave39168
02-08-2008, 06:07 PM
but what's wrong with praising MLK. He was a great fighter for civil liberties and stood up firmly against some tough opposition. I don't agree with him on everything but he definately has my respect.

Broadlighter
02-08-2008, 06:08 PM
That sounds alright to me. There may be some things you don't like about MLK, but there are many things to admire about MLK. There are many things that I admire about MLK.

You missed my point

I like MLK and Merle Haggard, too, but - He sings celebratory songs about rednecks and then sings about civil rights heroes. He also wrote and sang about denigrating war protesters and hippies, then praised their standing up to 'the man' in other songs.

He's a mixed bag. If he wants to sing for Hillary, let him.

BTW, this is a great song. It's part of our message.

Vox Populi
02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
You missed my point

I like MLK and Merle Haggard, too, but - He sings celebratory songs about rednecks and then sings about civil rights heroes. He also wrote and sang about denigrating war protesters and hippies, then praised their standing up to 'the man' in other songs.

He's a mixed bag. If he wants to sing for Hillary, let him.

You make a good point. It might not look good for him to switch endorsements, but I was thinking it might get some attention in Dr. Paul's favor. Besides, there's nothing wrong with letting people know about Dr. Paul. :)

familydog
02-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Ever hear of any other superstar sing a song with references to monetary reform? He really endorsed the wrong candidate. :(

Broadlighter
02-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Ever hear of any other superstar sing a song with references to monetary reform? He really endorsed the wrong candidate. :(

Haggard has pretty much been for the little guy, which is what many believe about the Democratic party. That may be why he supports Hillary.

He grew up in Bakersfield, CA. Got himself in trouble with the law as a teenager and spent a lot of time in the system. Many of his songs speak of liberal leanings, but that kind of liberalism is dead these days.

Hillary is probably just using him for his name. If she had political power and knew him back in the day, she'd probably throw him in the clink.