PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul And The Lazy Mob

LEK
02-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Ron Paul And The Lazy Mob
h ttp://www.libertymaven.com/2008/01/27/ron-paul-and-the-lazy-mob/

Ron Paul loves discussing the issues. Unfortunately, his stance on the issues is of little importance to many Republicans. That is, unless you consider “a candidate’s chance of winning” a legitimate issue. For me, I think the economy and our foreign policy are the major issues of the election. In fact when I look at just about any issues list comparing the candidates, electability is notably absent. So how does this non-issue become the single issue derailing the good doctor’s campaign?

The answer: The combination of laziness and mob mentality.

People are lazy. Mobs are stupid. More appropriately, people acting in groups tend to do stupid things without thinking. Anyone who has attended high school knows that even the smartest among us can fall prey to the unrelenting peer pressure of “doing what’s cool.” This kind of “group think” is Ron Paul’s largest problem through no fault of his own. So then, who is to blame for this evil creation? And aside from casting blame, what can be done to “win this issue” in the minds of the public?

We’ll play the blame game first. The typical answer to the question of blame is the media. Yes, the media is the main culprit. Now that the voting has started Ron Paul has been largely ignored by the media. The inequitable debate times illustrate this better than anything. Also, the kinds of questions he gets asked only further marginalize him. I don’t see the media asking any other candidates about their electability or if they are planning a third party run. When the question itself becomes an indictment the answer no longer matters.

To be fair, when you run for President you should expect to invite critical questions. Usually those questions are asked under the guise of learning about character. Ron Paul seems to attract questions that cast doubt on whether he should even be in the race. When the media latches on to this line it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. The lazy voter devours the bait. Suddenly, Ron Paul is not a viable candidate in their eyes.

Certainly the media can be blamed for “starting it”, but the lazy voter is to blame for making it so.

Defeating this mindset is a monumental challenge. In fact, it very well could be impossible. After all, the lazy voter may be lazy, but like most, he is also quite stubborn. This is where circular logic comes in. If you make just about any argument that Ron Paul can win, they will counter with his lackluster early primary results. If you press them further they will eventually make the following statement, “if he can win, then why don’t I see him on the news all the time?”. Even better is the “I don’t want to waste my vote” response. This is where the winning argument can be made:

Why are you letting the media decide your vote for you? If you do that you don’t value your vote very much. If you let the media decide, then you are wasting your vote. You are throwing your vote away. You may as well have Bill O’Reilly (or insert favorite talking head here) fill out your ballot. Your vote is important. I’m just requesting you investigate the issues affecting our great country and then decide. Don’t let the media decide your vote. Don’t let me decide your vote. Your vote is your own.

The idea is to plant the seed that they should have an independent voice. It is an attempt to cater to their own stubbornness. If this doesn’t work, nothing will. Many will choose to remain stubborn, but some will be swayed by logic. It is those people who will bring in the stubborn people in the future. How far in the future is the only question.

I remain optimistic that someday the issues will rule the day. Until then I will work on the premise that a well placed argument today can become the mass enlightenment of tomorrow.