PDA

View Full Version : Inflation in Economics class

gpickett00
02-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Since I found out about Ron Paul I have read a lot about economics and I changed my major to economics. Im in a class right now and we had to write a page answering 3 questions about inflation. I admit, I kind of avoided the third question but I think I did a good job. If we do a good job we get extra credit so I put some work into it. Here it is:

Chapter 11: The Problem with Inflation

1. Inflation is commonplace in societies because federal governments have a tendency spend beyond their means. Companies lobby congress to increase government spending without considering that the government has no cash or gold reserves. Any time our government needs money to pay for programs or to go to war it must find a way to finance them. Currently, we are spending more money than we ever had yet we have the largest deficit in history. Since politicians aren’t willing to tell the American people that taxes need to increase dramatically to cover the costs of government spending, they indirectly tax us using inflation. Instead of increasing taxes the conventional way by increasing taxation on income, they create money that does not exist to finance their operations. In the short-term the American people are satisfied that they have relatively low taxes, but what they don’t realize is that in the long-term they will have to pay for the fiscally irresponsible government.
Private companies who are directly contracted by the government are the first to benefit from the newly created money. Since they receive money that is essentially printed out of thin air they do not suffer the effects of an increased money supply. Eventually the corporations contracted by the government spend this new money and it works its way into the economy. After the government contractors spend their money, the lower and middle classes feel the effects of an increased money supply, inflation, and pay higher prices before their wages increase.
The burden of a fiscally irresponsible federal government provides short-term prosperity by providing our country with services we shouldn’t be able to pay for. But when government contracted corporations are able to use the newly created money first, the lower and middles classes indirectly suffer the consequences.
2. The government cannot escalate inflationary tactics more than they currently do because if they do so, average Americans would notice their irresponsibility and pose resistance. Financing programs, wars and welfare not allowed by the constitution, we create a deficit that causes the government to create money that we do not have.
3. By reducing the average maturity of its debt obligations the government has an incentive to implement inflationary tactics. If a debts due date comes up and our government owes a foreign government 600 billion dollars we are forced to print the money to come up with the shortfall. It is convenient that we can simply create money to pay for real obligations, but eventually this will take its toll.
Worldwide people are beginning to understand that the integrity of a US Dollar is in no way linked to a commodity such as gold. Since there is nothing of value backing a dollar, there is no reason to think of the dollar anything more than a fancy piece of paper. Reducing the average maturity of debt obligations is a temporary fix to our debt but we need a long-term solution to ensure prosperity.
Government monetary policy needs to change if this country seeks to avoid a bankruptcy forced upon us by fiscal irresponsibility. Our empire is very strong militarily and technologically, but if we do not address economic misconduct, our debt will come due and the American people will suffer greatly for its years of poor monetary policy.

LittleLightShining
02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Good job :)

MJfromCT
02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Good Job

rockandrollsouls
02-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Where are the questions? It sounds awfully political to be in an economics textbook. Make sure you answered what the questions were asking.

Montpelerin
02-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Be sure to point out the widespread misuse of the term inflation today.

Most media outlets commonly use the term 'inflation' when they are referring to an increase in price level - this has been done so often in recent years, that they have practically re-defined the term.

Remember - "Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon" - Milton Friedman

Mr. White
02-08-2008, 01:48 PM
You might want to insure posting your writing on the internet for critique doesn't run afoul of your school's honor code.

davver
02-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Telling the truth about economics will probably get you in trouble in your average college economics class.

kgiese
02-08-2008, 02:13 PM
How long does it take to count to one trillion?
I have a trillion dollars, no I have ten bazzilliaton, no I have more than you. Are you kidding? The US Dollar is more worthless than the paper it is printed on. American money is fiat money. There is nothing supporting the value of a dollar in this country.

US Dollar: Have you tried spending cash. Banks and stores do not trust your money, they scrutanize it hold it to the light, and mark it with special pens. Why should you trust it? Options: Credit cards. Have you ever had your credit stolen? Not a great idea. They also increase the cost of everything you buy. How, credit card companies charge businesses a percentage to use the card. The business must make up this cost by adding it to the product in order to maintain a profit. By using cash you are paying this hidden tax on everything.

What is expendable income? How much is it? Does the government track it? Why is it a negative number? What is a slave? What is a sharecropper? What is a wage slave?
Most people in America can't afford a home, car, food, or having children.
Income-expenses=cash flow
Why doesn't the income provide the basics anymore? Why were large familys able to be supported by one income prior to the 50's?
If America is based on freedom what is free? Is your land free, house, car, food, water, shelter? What is free?

itshappening
02-08-2008, 02:19 PM
better to just be a shill and cheerlead for the fed you will get an A+

gpickett00
02-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I already turned it in, so Im not asking people to critique it. The questions were:
1. If inflation is so costly, why is it so common in modern societies?
2. In light of your answer to question #1, what keeps government from escalating inflation higher and higher.
3.What effect did reducing the average maturity of the governments debt obligations have on its incentive to engage in inflationary policy?

I didn't have enough knowledge on #3 to address it directly so I kind of avoided the question. This assignment was pretty much just based on completion so for only spending an hour writing it, I'm pleased. Thanks for the commentary!

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-08-2008, 02:25 PM
better to just be a shill and cheerlead for the fed you will get an A+

What makes you say that?

gpickett00
02-08-2008, 02:32 PM
What makes you say that?

He is being sarcastic assuming that if you challenge the status quo you will get bad grades.

Future4u
02-08-2008, 02:38 PM
You may want to add that the increase in prices is not as a result of increased values , rather it's that it requires more of the debased currency to purchase the item . That's why the original dollar that was valued a $1 now has the purchasing power of
$ . 04 cents .

Even the the produce itself can be debased . In 1950 you could buy a bag of potato chips for $.05 cents . Now the same bag will cost about $2 and the bag half full of air .

itshappening
02-08-2008, 02:41 PM
He is being sarcastic assuming that if you challenge the status quo you will get bad grades.

exactly

the key 'my friend' is to pretend your pro-establishment, declare yourself a McCain supporter and condemn critics of the regime. you will be lavished with the best grades and will get into the best schools

slantedview
02-08-2008, 02:45 PM
that is great. nice work.

RochesterRyan
02-08-2008, 02:49 PM
I wrote a paper last semester on how inflation led to the collapse of Rome. If you ever have the chance to do a report on it, check it out. Its definitely worth your time.

goldismoney
02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
If anyone is interested in living their life outside paper currency, check out: http://www.mygoldmymoney.com/ (http://www.mygoldmymoney.com)

As the website is a joint venture with GoldMoney.com, the first 200 'founding members' of the website will also receive a GoldMoney.com referral link. This link will enable the user to receive 10% of GoldMoney's gross margin from all gold and silver purchases made by all referred users.

RonRules
02-08-2008, 03:14 PM
You might want to insure posting your writing on the internet for critique doesn't run afoul of your school's honor code.

Teachers have programs that search the net for matches in the student's submissions. Any suggestions from posters here could be used as a strike against you.

Don't post your essays !

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
02-08-2008, 03:50 PM

uh... yeah. I got that, but I wasn't convinced it was sarcasm. I see a lot of people in here who just learned the word "economics" and think that college level economics professors are promoting a federal reserve agenda.

Maybe your teaching assistant in lower level economics courses will do that. In upper level economics courses, that's not what you should expect. In my experience, most economics professors are fairly academically honest. A good amount of it is data driven, and sometimes the work is figuring out why data doesn't match up with theory or accepted models. It's not a matter of "fed good" or "fed bad" or write a liberal arts position paper, and get your grade.

crazyfacedjenkins
02-08-2008, 04:15 PM
uh... yeah. I got that, but I wasn't convinced it was sarcasm. I see a lot of people in here who just learned the word "economics" and think that college level economics professors are promoting a federal reserve agenda.

Maybe your teaching assistant in lower level economics courses will do that. In upper level economics courses, that's not what you should expect. In my experience, most economics professors are fairly academically honest. A good amount of it is data driven, and sometimes the work is figuring out why data doesn't match up with theory or accepted models. It's not a matter of "fed good" or "fed bad" or write a liberal arts position paper, and get your grade.

Every economics course I've taken or seen has taught Keynesian economics. It's pretty much the standard in AP test and universities in the US.