PDA

View Full Version : This should end the Third Party speculations.

blakjak
02-08-2008, 01:00 PM
We asked Congressman Paul if he believes he can still win the presidency. He told us he wouldn't be campaigning if he didn't think so, because he wouldn't ask people to throw away a vote on a candidate who couldn't win. That being said, he also said he has no intention of being a spoiler in 2008. If he does not win the Republican nomination, he will not run as a third party candidate.

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0208/494607.html

familydog
02-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe he knows something we don't.

ambiguousscion
02-08-2008, 01:04 PM
He's not a quitter.

acptulsa
02-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Maybe he knows something we don't.

Romney quit. McCain's no conservative. Amnesty. Gun control. Huckabee can win a lot of states without Romney siphoning off the pro-gun vote. We have planted delegates. When McCain fails to win on the first round of voting, the brokered convention begins.

Did I mention that through a spirit of volunteerism, we planted a lot of delegates?

gracebkr
02-08-2008, 01:15 PM
We asked Congressman Paul if he believes he can still win the presidency. He told us he wouldn't be campaigning if he didn't think so, because he wouldn't ask people to throw away a vote on a candidate who couldn't win. That being said, he also said he has no intention of being a spoiler in 2008. If he does not win the Republican nomination, he will not run as a third party candidate.

He always says he will continue his race as long we support him with the finances. If he doesn't get the nomination and doesn't run 3rd, then who will we vote for?

Deborah K
02-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Maybe there's a scandal brewing.....maybe McCain will HAVE to drop out because of it......anything is possible.

beachmaster
02-08-2008, 01:17 PM

The bolded part is not a direct quote apparently. The key sentence is "he also said he has no intention of being a spoiler in 2008."

If he runs as third party, and wins, then would he still be considered a "spoiler"?

I doubt Ron Paul has ruled out the third party option. He has never said that, and he didn't say that in the article. He's wise to keep all options open. Whether or not he eventually exercises a particular option is not worth speculating on at this point, just the fact that he is keeping his options alive. Contingency plans are always good to have in your back pocket.

OH shit, I forgot... only trolls think like that! lol

MayTheRonBeWithYou
02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
He's said things like this in the past and then later hinted he might run, so who knows. As long as he's in the GOP race he will continue to deny it, that's for sure.

INforRP
02-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by blakjak View Post

We have all seen him answer this question 100 times and he always leaves that door open a crack. Stop posting this all over this website as if every one of these words came out of Paul's mouth, I am 99% sure beachmaster got it right and Paul didn't say those words.

We need to focus on the task at hand and use all our efforts to get him the GOP nomination somehow now. If for some reason he doesn't get it, we can cross that other bridge then. But there is no reason to be talking about a 3rd party run now. Just stop the talk about it and focus on today.

JMann
02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
He always says he will continue his race as long we support him with the finances. If he doesn't get the nomination and doesn't run 3rd, then who will we vote for?

Michael Badnarik <sarcasm>

blakjak
02-08-2008, 01:29 PM
We need to focus on the task at hand and use all our efforts to get him the GOP nomination somehow now. If for some reason he doesn't get it, we can cross that other bridge then. But there is no reason to be talking about a 3rd party run now. Just stop the talk about it and focus on today.

I agree - This was actually the reason I posted this thread. Right now we need to concentrate on the Republican nomination and forget about third party.

RPDelegate
02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Man, I hope this is the last 3rd Party thread I have to see on these forums. Getting so sick of it when there are much better things to talk about such as

- Organizing the next money bomb
- Promoting the delegate process so people understand it in every state
- Making sure the remaining states have the supplies they need to canvass and promote RP
- Making sure there are no left over Romney delegates that we could grab up - every state has different rules it seems
- Making sure we are in contact with all unbound delegates to make sure they are well educated about RP - perhaps they can be pulled in

This is the stuff I wish was walked about. Not this 3rd party shit, not all the BS speculation threads, not the who is saying what about who threads, etc, etc, etc...

josh24601
02-08-2008, 01:34 PM

The Ron Paul supporters that are here because they want somebody to champion a third party will ignore this. To them, it's not about that. It's about what they want.

KevinR
02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
good.

UNC08
02-08-2008, 01:38 PM
"Read my lips: No new taxes!"

RonRules
02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
I think it all depends on Obama. If Hillary wins, particularly if Obama wins more states, more delegates, more popular votes and Hillary wins because of the Super Delegates, it will a major: Oh Bummer!

Most will flock to a third party. With the right choice of VP, we could get most of them. Chuck Hagel ?

beachmaster
02-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I think it all depends on Obama. If Hillary wins, particularly if Obama wins more states, more delegates, more popular votes and Hillary wins because of the Super Delegates, it will a major: Oh Bummer!

Most will flock to a third party. With the right choice of VP, we could get most of them. Chuck Hagel ?

Nah, fuck Chuck. He's tainted.

Goldwater Jr., Napolitano, Bob Barr... those are three that come to mind.

nodope0695
02-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Well, I'm not a fan of a third party, but if he doesn't get the nomination, why not be a spoiler? If came down to it, I'd choose anybody but McCain.

nbhadja
02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
But he didn't say he wouldn't run as an independent ;).
But anyways, if he doesn't get the republican nomination but the money still keeps pouring he will probably still run for president as an independent.

billjarrett
02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Nah, fuck Chuck. He's tainted.

Goldwater Jr., Napolitano, Bob Barr... those are three that come to mind.

I'd say Goldwater Jr. would be the best choice, it would bring in the base

Even though it's not Goldwater Sr., and probably most of the base doesn't know much about Jr, the name Goldwater brings warm fuzzy feelings in conservative bellys

TwiLeXia
02-08-2008, 03:49 PM
the idea of spoiler is stupid... there is no way dr. paul supporters will vote mccain, period.

Todd
02-08-2008, 03:51 PM
This is the first time I will disagree with Ron.

He shouldn't consider himself a "spoiler", and even if he can't win he shouldn't consider it a vote "thrown away" on principle.

Korey Kaczynski
02-08-2008, 03:52 PM
He probably knows he's too old for this.

angrydragon
02-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Good, it's definitely ruled out.

"Ron Paul will not run as a third party candidate. I was on his national conference call last night and he said himself, "we don't want to lose my congressional seat"."

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/35672

beachmaster
02-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Good, it's definitely ruled out.

"Ron Paul will not run as a third party candidate. I was on his national conference call last night and he said himself, "we don't want to lose my congressional seat"."

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/35672

From that blog:

So forget any talk about a third party run! It's collect as many delegates as possible, get Dr. Paul a prime time speech during the RNC and get as much into the Republican platform as possible.

So I wonder if the author believes Ron Paul will eventually be endorsing McCain? Man that would really hurt my spirit!

jkm1864
02-08-2008, 04:11 PM
So He should be honored to be a SPOILER because He would get into the history books for sure. The republicans deserve to be punished as do the Demacrats.

RonPaulFTFW
02-08-2008, 04:12 PM
He can't run as a republican in congress unless he stays republican.

TruthAtLast
02-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I doubt Ron Paul has ruled out the third party option. He has never said that, and he didn't say that in the article. He's wise to keep all options open. Whether or not he eventually exercises a particular option is not worth speculating on at this point, just the fact that he is keeping his options alive. Contingency plans are always good to have in your back pocket.

I agree. Even if he doesn't plan to run as a 3rd party. I wouldn't tell anyone that. I'd rather than the Republican leaders worry about me destroying their chance of winning against the Democrats. With McCain, the Republicans may not be able to win ANYWAY. But if Ron Paul's supporters can't be counted on to support McCain (whether or not Ron Paul runs) then it throws an even LARGER road block in their plans. It also assumes that Huck's supporters would support McCain and they hate the guy.

beachmaster
02-08-2008, 04:55 PM
He can't run as a republican in congress unless he stays republican.

I've read that the Libertarians (or Constitutionalist, et. al.) could nominate him for their party with or without Ron Paul's consent, allowing him to effectively be running on several parties at once, negating the need to quit the GOP. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Not that I'm saying anything... I'm only curious. Please don't draw and quarter me!!!!

LukeNM
02-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Good - I'm glad that is over with! Thanks for letting everyone know...