PDA

View Full Version : "Both" candidates still running in Nebraska?

spacehabitats
02-08-2008, 10:37 AM
The local Omaha NPR station, KIOS -FM, had a news segment today about Barack Obama's speech here last night and in an example of "balanced" journalism followed that with a piece on the May 13th Republican primary. I sent the following statement to their newsroom:

"This morning during a news segment reporting on the May 13th Republican primary, your reporter stated the fact that Nebraskans will still have a say in selecting the Republican presidential nominee. He then went on to refer to "both" of the remaining candidates. He then played a recorded statement by the Nebraska Republican Committee chairman which mentions Huckabee by name and fails to mention Congressman Ron Paul. There are THREE remaining candidates. Your radio station should not be winnowing the field, that is still the right and responsibility of the voters. Whether it was done out of bias or journalistic laziness, Ron Paul, his supporters, and the Nebraska public deserve a correction and an apology for this distortion. "

I know this may seem a minor infraction given the smears and news blackouts, but I don't think we should just let these things slide. THEY need to know that we are watching, that we are relentless, and that we will needle them at every opportunity until they start being what they pretend to be, honest journalists.

Please feel free to cut and paste the statement above, go to:

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kios/news.newsmain?action=section&SECTION_ID=1

click on "Email the NewsRoom" and paste it in the comments box.

I think it would be a hoot if this little NPR station got a couple of hundred complaints about something that they thought no one would even notice.

Suzu
02-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Please post this in News about the Official Campaign, where it will get more attention.

IDefendThePlatform
02-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Nice work. Well written letter, too.