PDA

View Full Version : GOP delegate strategy

noztnac
02-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I am disgusted that many here seem to be supporting a strategy of storming the GOP convention and attempting to take over with less than 15% of the popular vote.

I will tell you right now that at this stage I will not support the Republican nominee under any circumstance. I've been a Ron Paul supporter since 1986 and think he's a terrific candidate. But I will not vote for him if he is the GOP nominee. I'll vote Libertarian.

If Ron Paul had won the GOP nomination with a majority of the votes and delegates I would have voted for him in the general election.

But all along I had assumed he would lose the GOP nomination and run as a third party candidate.

The GOP nominee is not going to be the next president. Why on earth do people on this forum want to get the GOP nomination at this stage, especially by exploiting the fact that the entire process is a disgusting joke?

If Ron Paul were to somehow storm the convention and take over the media would have a field day pointing out that he had used sneaky, underhanded, political maneuvering to hijack the process.

You guys need to get your heads on straight. The GOP is a sinking ship and it's time to abandon it.

We have used it to get exposure for Ron Paul and in the process we have shown America what a bunch of corrupt, manipulative, crooks they are.

People are very dissatisfied with McCain. If the Democratic nominee is Hillary we can win running third party... easily.

Many Republicans will not vote for McCain. Most Americans will not vote for Hillary.

This situation is ideal for a third party candidate.

I hope Ron Paul is that candidate. I'll be voting third party in any case.

Spirit of '76
02-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Lame.

INeedATherapist
02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
It wouldn't be so dang "sneaky" and "underhanded" if they'd stop reporting the beauty contest and start reporting real news.

Many Republicans vote Republican just to vote Republican. I still say not to rule out a third party bid, but I mean, let's just wait until the convention or until McCain gets the delegates he needs...

Winning the Republican nomination alone will bring priceless media coverage, regardless of their spin.

bbartlog
02-08-2008, 10:53 AM
But I will not vote for him if he is the GOP nominee.

This seems a touch perverse. If Paul does somehow win the nomination via some crazy combination of gamesmanship and political knife-fighting, you would abandon him in his hour of victory? I grant that he would do so over the wishes of a majority of Republican voters, but if he wins third party he would probably also do so ... over the wishes of a majority of voters, thanks to superior dedication and/or a 3-way split of votes. I don't see how that's so different. Plus it's sort of silly to take a big stand on something that looks pretty unlikely at the moment.
At any rate, I will support Paul whichever ticket he runs on, whether it be L, C, R, or I.

Moobi
02-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Lame.

QFT

Zeeder
02-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Lame.

Agree.

So what if he only got 15% of the popular vote? The President is always supported by a vast minority of the American people. 10% vote in the Primaries, and of those 10%, 1-2% support any one candidate.

The rest of the American people don't vote at all. We are ruled by a small minority of elites.

Why would you vote for him as the libertarian nominee, when we are an even smaller minority than the republicans? He could have the nomination right now for them...........what percentage of the electorate are libertarians? What would be his percentage of the popular vote then? It would be the same, except for some reason you'd vote for him.

fedup100
02-08-2008, 11:09 AM
You either do not know what you are talking about or you are a troll. It appears to me now that Paul maybe the only man standing at the convention, read and learn!

PLEASE READ THE EMAILS BELOW TO UNDERSTAND WHY WE CAN WIN. THE FOLLOWING LINK IS ALSO A GOOD READ. PLEASE GO TO YOUR CAUCUS AND BECOME A DELEGATE. Thanks for all you are doing to save our country!

The Strategy is Working... A Must Read...
http://ron-paul-campaign.blogspot.com/2008/02/super-tuesday-winner.html
----- Original Message -----
Becoming a delegate takes less time than it does to read the following:

PEOPLE PLEASE READ THIS SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THAT WE CAN WIN THE NOMINATION AND STOP LISTENING TO THE MSM FOR YOUR INFO!
Posted February 6th, 2008 by SGP

I hope someone will put this on the front page so it doesn't get lost.

The MSM is not reporting how to become the nominee in a situation like this so I will tell you to stop getting your info from the MSM.

I know many of you are bummed about yesterday BUT THAT IS BECAUSE YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THE ELECTION SYSTEM WORKS : Let me explain to you the reality of how to become the nominee.

First stop looking at who wins each states popular vote for most of these states the vote by the people is really nothing but a straw poll and have no real bearing on who will become the nominee. The only way this matters i s if 1 person receives 1192 delegates that are bound by state rules to be commited to that candidate. So if a candiate like Mccain has 600 delegates now and he doesn't reach 1192 most of the delegates the state awarded him mean nothing and keep in mind in most of the states most of the people that represent the 600 for Mccain are actually Ron Paul supporters. NOW there is no possible way that anyone in the race can achieve this goal now because of the major split in state wins by the candidates.

So what happens now you ask? You look at the number of delegates that Dr. Paul has that are uncommited to the other candidates and will support him. these delegates are not decided by the popular vote ie: straw poll of the people. Since no one will have enough delegates to skate them through to the nomination we now must look at how many delegates NOT VOTES but delegates Dr. Paul has that are 100% uncommited to the other candidates and will be 100% for Dr. Paul and are free to vote for whom they wish.

This race will go all the way to the convention for there is no other way for someone to receive the nomintaion untill the convention.

The RNC will convene its annual Winter Meeting - and voters will continue to cast their ballots in the nation's primaries and caucuses. Candidates for delegate and alternate delegate to the convention will be elected - and thousands of convention participants and guests will begin planning their trips to Minneapolis-Saint Paul The first week in September 2008

SO WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN?

This means that all of the people that registered to become a deligate for Dr. Paul can go to the convention and cast thier vote for Dr. Paul, now think about what i just said : Do you think for one second that all the people that voted for Dr. Paul and filed to become a deligate will not show up at the convention to vote for the good Doctor? Of course they will just like they battled the rain and the sleet and the 15 below zero winter weather to knock on doors and wave signs spreading our message.

Now I assure you that even though we didn't win the popular vote in many states WE DID PICK UP THE MAJORITY OF DELEGATES THAN ALL THE OTHER CANDIDATES IN MOST EVERY STATE EXCEPT A FEW. So yes they won the straw poll and we won what counts which is delegates.

Doesn't Dr. Paul need to WIN 5 states to be on the ballot at the convention for the nomination?

NO THIS IS NOT TRUE for people were just confused on how it actually works.

We only need the majority of delegates from 5 states to be put on the ballot NOT THE POPULAR VOTE OF 5 STATES and i assure you we have picked up the majority of uncommitted delegates for Dr. Paul in more than 5 states.

Do any of you remember seeing posts by myself and many others that said BECOME A DELEGATE? There is still time in most states to become a delegate for the convention and we are picking up more of them every day.

So please STOP you worry too much because you do not understand how the election system works and you thought we lost didn't you?

The fact is Dr. Paul is a genius in his strategy and we are further ahead in delegates than you think and we can win the nomination.

I hope this gives a better understanding of how we have been winning even though most of you thought we were not.

NOW LET'S KEEP WORKING!

Dr. Steve Parent

--
This message was sent by Stuart Grant (boulder@dccnet.com) from The Bellingham Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group.
To learn more about Stuart Grant, visit his/her member profile

CountryboyRonPaul
02-08-2008, 11:13 AM
So you don't mind our own government and media using trickery against us?

I don't know about you, but I'm willing to fight fire with fire.

JulioForPaul
02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
You do realize that McCain is winning the nomination with ~30-35% of the vote. Is that much better than the 10-15% Paul is getting?

CountryboyRonPaul
02-08-2008, 11:31 AM
The GOP nominee is not going to be the next president. Why on earth do people on this forum want to get the GOP nomination at this stage, especially by exploiting the fact that the entire process is a disgusting joke?

And you think the LP nominee will be the next Pres? The LP nominee will get ZERO news coverage, as will the rest of the third party candidates, save Bloomberg.

The Media will be forced to give RP equal coverage if he pulls off a GOP nomination.

You guys need to get your heads on straight. The GOP is a sinking ship and it's time to abandon it.

Well, the other party's ships aren't even out of the shipyard yet

People are very dissatisfied with McCain. If the Democratic nominee is Hillary we can win running third party... easily.

Easily? If RP runs on a third party ticket, he will face a more intense media blackout than he is in now. Not to mention no third party candidate has won since Lincoln's 1860 success with the Republican party.

I still think the GOP is our best chance. And without a GOP nomination, Paul could probably serve the country best by simply returning to Congress.

noztnac
02-08-2008, 11:34 AM

This seems a touch perverse. If Paul does somehow win the nomination via some crazy combination of gamesmanship and political knife-fighting, you would abandon him in his hour of victory? I grant that he would do so over the wishes of a majority of Republican voters, but if he wins third party he would probably also do so ... over the wishes of a majority of voters, thanks to superior dedication and/or a 3-way split of votes. I don't see how that's so different. Plus it's sort of silly to take a big stand on something that looks pretty unlikely at the moment.
At any rate, I will support Paul whichever ticket he runs on, whether it be L, C, R, or I.

It wouldn't be an hour of victory. It would be a complete disgrace to the democratic process. What I'm telling all of you is to start focussing on a third party run. Your allegiance to the GOP at this stage is absurd.

Zeeder
02-08-2008, 11:40 AM
The two party system is a disgrace to the democratic process. Our allegiance certainly isn't to the Gop Noztac. It's to the constitution and what Ron Paul is trying to accomplish.

If his allegiance was to the GOP, he wouldn't support Paul at all. He would support whoever they threw in his face.

noztnac
02-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Lame.

What's lame is all of these supposed freedom fighters trying to subvert the democratic process in order to install their preferred candidate through political manipulation. If Ron Paul stoops to this level he will have sold his soul for the GOP nomination. I don't think he's that kind of a person and if he is he will have lost my support.

He has always said it is about the ideas and not him personally.

The GOP clearly no longer stands for the ideals of liberty, freedom, and democracy.

Supporting the GOP in it's current state is against everything America stands for.

noztnac
02-08-2008, 11:46 AM
The two party system is a disgrace to the democratic process. Our allegiance certainly isn't to the Gop Noztac. It's to the constitution and what Ron Paul is trying to accomplish.

If his allegiance was to the GOP, he wouldn't support Paul at all. He would support whoever they threw in his face.

I'm not sure I get your last point. What I'm saying is the GOP has abandoned everything it once stood for. Since the GOP is going to lose anyway, why are we pursuing their nomination? The time is perfect for a third party run. People are acting as though if we don't get the GOP nomination we have lost. I'm saying if we don't get the GOP nomination the GOP loses. We need to frame it in that way.

Spirit of '76
02-08-2008, 11:49 AM
What's lame is all of these supposed freedom fighters trying to subvert the democratic process in order to install their preferred candidate through political manipulation. If Ron Paul stoops to this level he will have sold his soul for the GOP nomination. I don't think he's that kind of a person and if he is he will have lost my support.

He has always said it is about the ideas and not him personally.

The GOP clearly no longer stands for the ideals of liberty, freedom, and democracy.

Supporting the GOP in it's current state is against everything America stands for.

Who said anything about supporting the GOP in its current state? Its current state is, by the way, total disarray, in case you haven't noticed.

It is ripe for the picking. The conservative wing of the party is in open revolt. If we can take it, we will.

What's truly lame is your willingness to give up on Ron just because you don't understand the processes. What's truly lame is your willingness to give up on Ron just because you have some knee-jerk antipathy toward the GOP. What's truly lame is that you apparently haven't listened to anything Ron's said, since he's said over and over and over again that he is a TRUE Republican and he's here to take the party back.

If you no longer support Ron, that's your choice. Go vote for Obama or whoever, but don't hang around here spreading your poison.

noztnac
02-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Here's where we win:
http://www.lp.org/

Spirit of '76
02-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Here's where we win:

lol

One of the reasons we're NOT winning now is that Ron has surrounded himself with people whose electioneering experience has been in the LP, which has inculcated a culture of loserdom in which the expectation of losing becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The LP is a non-starter.

Besides, Ron has decided to seek the GOP nomination. He's the one running.

noztnac
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
lol

One of the reasons we're NOT winning now is that Ron has surrounded himself with people whose electioneering experience has been in the LP, which has inculcated a culture of loserdom in which the expectation of losing becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The LP is a non-starter.

Besides, Ron has decided to seek the GOP nomination. He's the one running.

Bullshit. He lost in large part because the mainstream media locked him out. Either they gave him negative coverage or no coverage at all. It also didn't help that the GOP is a bunch of dishonest jerks.

Everything is set up perfectly for a third party run. Do you honestly think that Ron Paul is going to get the GOP nomination with less than 5% of the vote in most states?! You called me "moonbeam" for saying Ron Paul has a shot in a three way race between Hillary, RP, and McCain. I think my scenario is far more likely than yours. Still, it is beneath me to use ad hominems to make my point.

WilliamC
02-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Mississippi doesn't even start selecting it's delegates until April.

I'll be at the County meetings when the delegates are selected.

Depending on what happens, I'll be a County delegate to the State Convention in May.

Wish me luck, I'm way out of my depth here :eek:

noztnac
02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Another possibility is Libertarian + Unity + Reform + Constitution. Ron Paul can easily get all of those nominations.
http://www.constitutionparty.com/
http://www.reformparty.org/
http://www.unityparty.us/

WilliamC
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Another possibility is Libertarian + Unity + Reform + Constitution. Ron Paul can easily get all of those nominations.

By all means let them give Ron Paul their nominations.

What's stopping them?

Unless and until Ron Paul announces a third party run I think by far the most likely strategy for success is to re-take the Republican Party from the evangelical/neoconservative alliance that is now hanging on to power by a thread.

If you can't support this then by all means please work to get Ron Paul nominated by the LP. As far as I can tell they are free to nominate whomever they wish.

Spirit of '76
02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Bullshit. He lost in large part because the mainstream media locked him out. Either they gave him negative coverage or no coverage at all.

I said "one of the reasons". The media blackout is another, though an better campaign staff could have dealt with the media more effectively.

It also didn't help that the GOP is a bunch of dishonest jerks.

They were very fair to us here in WV. Of course, we were polite to them and worked with them, instead of insulting them, telling them they're stupid, calling them names, and dismissing them out of hand.

Perhaps that's why they let us have the upstairs of the state GOP headquarters as the Ron Paul 2008 HQ in WV and told the other campaigns who complained about it that our chances of winning the state were as good as anyone else's. Perhaps that's why they invited us to speak at their functions and observe the vote counts at the conventions.

They were fair and above board with us here. They gave us every opportunity to win this state. Of course, had we shown up screaming "neocons!" and "The GOP is corrupt and must die!!!!!" they might not have even given us a fighting chance.

Everything is set up perfectly for a third party run. Do you honestly think that Ron Paul is going to get the GOP nomination with less than 5% of the vote in most states?! You called me "moonbeam" for saying Ron Paul has a shot in a three way race between Hillary, RP, and McCain. I think my scenario is far more likely than yours. Still, it is beneath me to use ad hominems to make my point.

Again, all you are demonstrating is that you haven't paid attention to anything Ron has said. If he doesn't get the nomination, he is running for Congress as a Republican. He has said so. He has also said he will not seek a third party bid for the presidency.

Now I fully intend to write in Ron Paul come november, no matter who's on the ballot, but I'm not going to try to force Ron to run on the Libertarian ticket again when he has said he's not going to.

I'd rather have him back in Congress where he can continue his stand against tyranny, joined by more and more young Congressmen inspired by his ideals and the strength of his accomplishments, than have him waste his time on a fruitless third party run for the presidency, knowing full well that he'll get even less media exposure in that case than he does now.

noztnac
02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
I said "one of the reasons". The media blackout is another, though an better campaign staff could have dealt with the media more effectively.

They were very fair to us here in WV. Of course, we were polite to them and worked with them, instead of insulting them, telling them they're stupid, calling them names, and dismissing them out of hand.

Perhaps that's why they let us have the upstairs of the state GOP headquarters as the Ron Paul 2008 HQ in WV and told the other campaigns who complained about it that our chances of winning the state were as good as anyone else's. Perhaps that's why they invited us to speak at their functions and observe the vote counts at the conventions.

They were fair and above board with us here. They gave us every opportunity to win this state. Of course, had we shown up screaming "neocons!" and "The GOP is corrupt and must die!!!!!" they might not have even given us a fighting chance.

Again, all you are demonstrating is that you haven't paid attention to anything Ron has said. If he doesn't get the nomination, he is running for Congress as a Republican. He has said so. He has also said he will not seek a third party bid for the presidency.

Now I fully intend to write in Ron Paul come november, no matter who's on the ballot, but I'm not going to try to force Ron to run on the Libertarian ticket again when he has said he's not going to.

I'd rather have him back in Congress where he can continue his stand against tyranny, joined by more and more young Congressmen inspired by his ideals and the strength of his accomplishments, than have him waste his time on a fruitless third party run for the presidency, knowing full well that he'll get even less media exposure in that case than he does now.

Here's what happens if we follow your plan. Ron Paul attempts to win in a brokered convention. He loses anyway and angers the party establishment even further. He loses the brokered election. John McCain gets the nomination anyway. Hillary is elected president anyway. The GOP floods money to Ron Paul's opponent in Texas and Ron Paul loses his congressional seat as well.

Here's what happens if we follow my plan. Ron Paul immediately contacts the Unity, Constitution, Libertarian, and Reform Parties. He accepts the nominations from all of them. He runs as a third party candidate. Conservative Republicans refuse to vote for McCain and either support Ron Paul or stay home. Ron Paul takes a huge chunk of the anti-war vote from Hillary, plus all of the people who find Hillary just plain unacceptable. Ron Paul wins the election in a landslide.

I personally prefer my scenario.

noztnac
02-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Here's what happens if we follow your plan. Ron Paul attempts to win in a brokered convention. He loses anyway and angers the party establishment even further. John McCain gets the nomination anyway. Hillary is elected president. The GOP floods money to Ron Paul's opponent in Texas and Ron Paul loses his congressional seat as well.

Here's what happens if we follow my plan. Ron Paul immediately contacts the Unity, Constitution, Libertarian, and Reform Parties. He accepts the nominations from all of them. He runs as a third party candidate. Conservative Republicans refuse to vote for McCain and either support Ron Paul or stay home. Ron Paul takes a huge chunk of the anti-war vote from Hillary, plus all of the people who find Hillary just plain unacceptable. Ron Paul wins the election in a landslide.

I personally prefer my scenario.

noztnac
02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Also, for those saying Ron Paul will get less media attention if he runs third party....

WRONG!!!! The very fact that Ron Paul is running third party will be a huge story because it will greatly affect the outcome of the race. In the past Libertarians could be shut out easily because they had minimal support. Ron Paul brings at least 10% to begin with, probably more. My guess is he will draw about 15% of Republicans dissatisfied with McCain and about 25% of Clinton supporters who disagree with her vote for the war or who just flat out don't like her. That's a pretty good start.

He can win running as a third party candidate. A Republican will not win the whitehouse this election. That should be very clear to everyone. Why are we fighting to get the nomination from a party who doesn't respect us and who treats us unfairly when we can easily get the nominations from Reform, Unity, Constitution, and Libertarian parties? People want change. They are looking for something new. That's four different parties that people can become a part of and support Ron Paul by doing so.

Chester Copperpot
02-08-2008, 03:29 PM

+infinity

noztnac
02-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Winning a brokered election with 30% plus would make sense. If we were to win it going into the convention with less than 5% and somehow manipulate the delegates into voting for us there would be a huge public outcry against us. The media would undoubtedly damn us for "stealing" the election and subverting the process. We won't have taken back the Republican Party. We will have guaranteed Ron Paul's defeat in the general election. And the GOP could forever claim that the defeat was based on accepting Ron Paul's version of what the Republican Party should be.

The GOP is not the best option and not the only option.

noztnac
02-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Ron Paul's goal is not to win the GOP nomination. His goal is to become the president of the United States of America.

noztnac
02-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Why a Third Party Candidacy Makes Sense for Ron Paul
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig6/schembrie5.html

Lou337
02-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Why Ron Paul will not run for 3rd party

http://www.hesaidhewouldnt.com/letitgoalready/sigh.html

noztnac
02-08-2008, 09:17 PM
A good article.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/gregory/gregory154.html

Spirit of '76
02-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Also, for those saying Ron Paul will get less media attention if he runs third party....

WRONG!!!! The very fact that Ron Paul is running third party will be a huge story because it will greatly affect the outcome of the race.

Wishful thinking. We thought it would be a big story when he became the top fundraiser. Didn't happen.

Anyway, Ron's email tonight ought to put your agenda to rest...

Let me tell you my thoughts. With Romney gone, the chances of a brokered convention are nearly zero. But that does not affect my determination to fight on, in every caucus and primary remaining, and at the convention for our ideas, with just as many delegates as I can get. But with so many primaries and caucuses now over, we do not now need so big a national campaign staff, and so I am making it leaner and tighter. Of course, I am committed to fighting for our ideas within the Republican party, so there will be no third party run. I do not denigrate third parties -- just the opposite, and I have long worked to remove the ballot-access restrictions on them. But I am a Republican, and I will remain a Republican.

I also have another priority. I have constituents in my home district that I must serve. I cannot and will not let them down. And I have another battle I must face here as well. If I were to lose the primary for my congressional seat, all our opponents would react with glee, and pretend it was a rejection of our ideas. I cannot and will not let that happen.

This is exactly what I told you in our PM exchange. Sure, he may not win the GOP nomination, but he is running for Congress as a Republican (and, like I also told you, he says he has always been a Republican and will remain so). He knows if he runs third party, he loses. Worse, he loses his Congressional seat and we have NO ONE left in the corridors of power to fight for us.

Now I know that Ron has said this same thing many times, and you seem not to have listened yet, but I hope that this latest email is clear enough to get through to you.

noztnac
02-09-2008, 03:30 AM
We need to compel Ron Paul to run as a third party candidate. I realize third parties have not fared well in the past. This election will be different. The vast majority of Americans oppose the war in Iraq. The likely nominees from both major political parties both voted for the war. The Republican nominee is not a conservative and the democratic nominee is a witch. Ron Paul can beat McCain and Clinton in a three way race. The media can't ignore Ron Paul because he will be hugely influential on the outcome of the race. Even if they treat him as a spoiler they will not be able to ignore him.
We have a lot of work to do. The first order of business is convincing Ron Paul he can win. We can start by showing him he still has our support and by letting him know we want him to continue as a third party candidate. This means contacting the Reform, Unity, Libertarian, and Constitution Parties and encouraging them to support Ron Paul.

We can do it.
Who's with me?