PDA

View Full Version : Oh. my. goodness.

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
I have just been asked to draft a resolution for our local Republican branch in the line of a vote for 'no confidence' in McCain as representing conservative principles!!!!

Can you believe it???

I need help with this!!!

Does anyone know the first thing about writing Republican resolutions?

What should our wording be? I was thinking somehow we should include a list of grievances against McCain (in the line of the grievance against King George in the Declaration of Independence.)

This has to be legit and cannot be a long rambling thing -- i.e., it is something that should appeal to base conservatives.

wgadget
02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Hehehe..."Base conservatives."

Just made me chuckle.

phoenixzorn
02-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Heather, where in Wisconsin? We might be able to work on that together if we're close enough...

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Heather, where in Wisconsin? We might be able to work on that together if we're close enough...

Milwaukee County

hawks4ronpaul
02-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Examples: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22republican+party+resolution%22&btnG=Google+Search

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

phoenixzorn
Milwaukee County

Jefferson County here... I know a bunch of supporters in Milwaukee that might be able to help you with that document. Most are busy, but might make time to do something to get the GOP of Milwaukee to trash McCain like that.

billjarrett
lol, the list is so long I don't even know where to start.. I can't help with the format right now, I'll have to dig to see if I can find examples...

Anyways, I am a "base conservative", and I'd say the list would have to include:

Corroborating stories of McCain planning to leave the GOP (even though he denies it): http://belowthebeltway.com/2008/02/01/did-john-mccain-almost-leave-the-gop/

Of course it would have to include the McCain-Feingold Campaign finance, McCain Kennedy immigration, and McCain-Lieberman global warming bills.

Also, don't have time to look it up now, but supposedly he entertained the idea of being Kerrys running mate for a short time.

Those are the things to me, that as a "base conservative" put the nails in his coffin. All the rest is just icing.

Bruce4Ron
02-08-2008, 09:20 AM
GO PACKERS !

Get Brett to endorse Ron Paul. Thats all you need Heather !

(just kidding) Good luck and post your progress

dsentell
02-08-2008, 09:22 AM
BE IT RESOLVED that we, the true Republican Conservatives have no confidence in John Amnesty Hundred Year McCain to promote and uphold our conservative values . . .

:D

Congrats! You will do a great job!

Eponym_mi
02-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Excellent! I hope resolutions like that become widespread.

wd4freedom
02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I have just been asked to draft a resolution for our local Republican branch in the line of a vote for 'no confidence' in McCain as representing conservative principles!!!!

Can you believe it???

I need help with this!!!

What should our wording be? I was thinking somehow we should include a list of grievances against McCain (in the line of the grievance against King George in the Declaration of Independence.)

This has to be legit and cannot be a long rambling thing -- i.e., it is something that should appeal to base conservatives.

WHEREAS the Republican party is founded upon the principles of conservatism in goverment, and

WHEREAS the Principles of conservatism promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual freedom, and

WHEREAS the leading presidential candidate for the Republican Party, Senator John McCain, has consistelntly demonstrated a record of public service counter to the principles of conservatism and the Republican party

BE IT RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx opposes any effort to promote, support, or endorse Senator John McCain as the Republican nominee, and

RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx will only endorse candidates who promote the principles of conservatism in goverment, and promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual freedom, and whom have consistently demonstrated a record of public service as evidence of their principled beliefs.

jblosser
02-08-2008, 09:34 AM
WHEREAS the Republican party is founded upon the principles of conservatism in goverment, and

WHEREAS the Principles of conservatism promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual freedom, and

WHEREAS the leading presidential candidate for the Republican Party, Senator John McCain, has consistelntly demonstrated a record of public service counter to the principles of conservatism and the Republican party

BE IT RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx opposes any effort to promote, support, or endorse Senator John McCain as the Republican nominee, and

RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx will only endorse candidates who promote the principles of conservatism in goverment, and promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual freedom, and whom have consistently demonstrated a record of public service as evidence of their principled beliefs.

+20 for the start. I do think we need some specific grievances in there. Stick to the legislation he's proposed and put in with the Democrats. Something about promising 100 years of war would be good but it has to be done very well.

phoenixzorn
02-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Bruce, that's an awesome idea...

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 09:50 AM

+20 for the start. I do think we need some specific grievances in there. Stick to the legislation he's proposed and put in with the Democrats. Something about promising 100 years of war would be good but it has to be done very well.

Yes!!! This is exactly the type of help I was looking for! This is awesome so far!!!

We could stick the specific reasons in after this paragraph:

And after the reasons, go on to the next paragraph:

dante
02-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Listen to Dr. Paul's speech yesterday. In the middle he tells you everything you need to know to stick into that resolution as well

Whereas for colluding with Feingold to do xxxxx
Whereas for colluding with Kennedy to allow amnesty
Whereas for colluding with Tom Daschle to vote against tax breaks
Whereas for colluding with Al Gore on global warming...

hawks4ronpaul
02-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Feingold, Kennedy, Dacshle, Gore, Kerry, Lieberman.

Bill of Rights, 1st, 2nd, et al.--go down the list.

PeacePlan
02-08-2008, 09:59 AM
In my state MN anyone can write a resolution and present it at caucus. We had one presented about immigration.

It would be a good idea that a form letter resolution get writen and posted here and that these get presented at all caucus states? This would for sure put a damper on all those at the caucus voting for McInsane...

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IMAGES/CARTOONS/toon020508.gif

EotS
02-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Heather, I liked Ron Paul's statement when McCain talked about another 100 years in Iraq - it is unconstitutional and immoral to commit five generations of Americans to fight his war.

Don't forget his "straight talk" speech in which he said "there's going to be other wars."

video here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/27/mccain-warns-there-will_n_83459.html

nullvalu
02-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I suggest when this is done, we try to forward this & get ALL of our County GOP's on board with this!

jblosser
02-08-2008, 10:09 AM
don't go TOO heavy on the war, we want them to sign it. stick with the stuff we all have in common, make it easy on them.

I will try to help draft some specifics if I can get to it later, got a lot of this stuff to write right now.

ggibson1
02-08-2008, 10:15 AM
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/02/26/mccain-port-sale-overblown-since-uae-is-freer-than-china/

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/11/19/mccain-abortion/

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/06/mccain-earmark/

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2006/02/27/daily11.html

acptulsa
02-08-2008, 10:20 AM
don't go TOO heavy on the war, we want them to sign it. stick with the stuff we all have in common, make it easy on them.

The Second Amendment needs to find a home in your document. If McCain has a major Achilles Heel with hard core conservatives, gun control is it!

hawks4ronpaul
02-08-2008, 10:23 AM
The Second Amendment needs to find a home in your document. If McCain has a major Achilles Heel with hard core conservatives, gun control is it!

McCain is terrible on national security. He wants to strip us defenseless to terrorists--through gun control (on us; the terrorists will still be armed to the teeth).

Xenophage
02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Start here and read your way down:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_mccain#Keating_Five

This is also a great source:

http://gunowners.org/mccaintb.htm

slantedview
02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
start by looking at ron's speech at CPAC yesterday. he was sure to point out all of mccain's ties to liberals and liberal legislation/policies. those are good reasons for why, as a conservative, you have no confidence in him.

LibertyEagle
02-08-2008, 10:32 AM

Can you believe it???

I need help with this!!!

I suggest you talk with acainfonet.

Xenophage
02-08-2008, 10:48 AM
- From the 106th to the 109th congress, McCain has a pretty consistent record of voting anti-gun.

- He authored the McCain-Feingold Act on campaign contribution reform, which essentially limits first amendment rights of individual donors (you and I) to support our candidates of choice, but doesn't regulate the big corporate interests to nearly the same degree. This has hurt conservatives significantly.

- He co-sponsored the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 with Ted Kennedy, which would have provided amnesty for tens of millions of illegal immigrants.

- He voted against the Bush tax cuts in 2001 and 2003.

- He's demonstrated a violent temper and rude demeanor unfit for any would-be President

KevinR
02-08-2008, 10:51 AM
*** If you wanna put something about the 100 years, use "Five Score" ;)

nullvalu
02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
What made me sick is that during McCain's speech yesterday, he was talking about "liberty", yet at the same time wants to tap our phones, give us a national ID card, promote amnesty and invade our privacy at every turn. He's such a fake, why can the sheep not see this??

KevinR
02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
because the wool is covering their eyes! grab the shears :]

manny
02-08-2008, 11:23 AM
For these guys I suggest you talk about 3 things mainly

His work with left-wing dems in favour of gun control
His pitiful grasp of economics - a terrible thing at this moment, especially since he wants us to commit to 100-10,000 years of increasing military expenditure
His work with Ted Kennedy to force through amnesty for illegal immigrants.

It is the last point that is the KO in my opinion. But be careful with language; it is very easy to slip into too emotional language, making broad generalisations about groups of people when discussing the topic. The truly offensive part of amnesty is that it represents a complete destruction of the rule of law regarding 10s of millions of people. A key aspect of the rule of law is that the law must be applied to both state and citizens, at all times and in the same way to all people, however politically inexpedient it is. In a free society the state cannot pick and choose when and with whom it applies laws, in this case the laws on immigration. This is at the heart of what separates a conservative from a liberal and McCain flunked the test in the biggest possible way. Once this defect in his political make-up is seen, his whole career - crackdowns on freedom of speech, restricting gun rights and yes the belief that Iraq can be made into a democracy at gun-point - can be seen to flow from the same problem - he trusts the state, specifically the executive, rather than the people. He is not a conservative.

BuddyRey
02-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Here is some more info on the resolution as provided by an ALIPAC member:

http://www.unol.org/res/rw3.shtml

We do need to jump on this and get it out to every county, state and the RNC.

jblosser
02-08-2008, 11:34 AM

- By colluding with the Democrats to make a mockery of the rule of law and the principles of national sovereignty, offering open amnesty to illegal immigrants

- By colluding with the Democrats to regulate and restrict the 2nd amendment rights of American citizens through onerous firearm registration, sale, and storage laws

- By colluding with the Democrats to abridge the 1st amendment rights of American citizens in the name of "campaign finance reform"

- By colluding with the Democrats to increase the already unbearable taxation burden of the American people, and refusing on multiple occasions to reduce this burden

- By refusing to take immediate and and direct action to protect the life of the unborn, and refusing to support legislation to remove the issue from the jurisdiction of the Federal Courts

- By promising 100 years of continuing warfare to the American people, regardless of the costs to our military, economy, individual rights, and national sovereignty as we sink further into crippling debt to our enemies

- By colluding with special interests to defraud the American people, attempting to influence regulatory bodies in direct conflict with the principles of limited government

Elwar
02-08-2008, 11:40 AM
To the conservatives of the Republican Party:

We hold these truths to be self evident, that the Republican Party is the conservative party of these United States, that those principles promote Small government, Liberty, Prosperity and Individual freedom. Whenever any Republican candidacy becomes destructive to these ends it is the Right of the people of this party to put a stop to it. When it becomes apparent that we have a liberal representing our party it is our right, it is our duty to throw off such a candidacy. Such has been the candidacy of John McCain and such is now the necessity to rebuke his candidacy under the Republican flag. The background of John McCain is a history replete with such usurpations of conservatism as to move our party in the direction of the Democrats and the liberalism therein. To prove this, let Facts be submitted for all.

He has voted against George Bush's tax cuts.
He has tried to pass an Amnesty bill...
etc..

We must denounce these acts as going against the very core of our conservative values. We, therefore, the holders of the light of conservatism, oppose any effort to promote, support, or endorse Senator John McCain as the Republican nominee.

:)

jblosser
02-08-2008, 11:46 AM

- By colluding with the Democrats to make a mockery of the rule of law and the principles of national sovereignty, offering open amnesty to illegal immigrants

- By colluding with the Democrats to regulate and restrict the 2nd amendment rights of American citizens through onerous firearm registration, sale, and storage laws

- By colluding with the Democrats to abridge the 1st amendment rights of American citizens in the name of "campaign finance reform"

- By colluding with the Democrats to increase the already unbearable taxation burden of the American people, and refusing on multiple occasions to reduce this burden

- By refusing to take immediate and and direct action to protect the life of the unborn, and refusing to support legislation to remove the issue from the jurisdiction of the Federal Courts

- By promising 100 years of continuing warfare to the American people, regardless of the costs to our military, economy, individual rights, and national sovereignty as we sink further into crippling debt to our enemies

- By colluding with special interests to defraud the American people, attempting to influence regulatory bodies in direct conflict with the principles of limited government

The life and war positions are obviously from our candidate. They may not want it worded that way. Change it til it's something they can sign.

MadTheologian
02-08-2008, 11:50 AM
*** If you wanna put something about the 100 years, use "Five Score" ;)

Yeah... he's been known to "score" more than five times. :p

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Ok! This is what I've come up with. Constructive criticism?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHEREAS the Republican Party is founded upon the conservative political philosophy derived from the belief that individuals are endowed not by the government but by the Creator with certain unalienable rights and the belief that the Constitution of the United States of America is designed to guarantee the free exercise of these rights through strictly limiting the power of government whose powers are derived only from the consent of the governed, and

WHEREAS the Principles of Conservatism promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual Freedom, and

WHEREAS the leading presidential candidate for the Republican Party, Senator John McCain, has consistently demonstrated a record of public service counter to the philosophy and principles of conservatism and the Republican Party. To prove this, let these facts be submitted.

He has colluded with Tom Daschle to vote against President Bush's tax cuts in 2001 and 2003 and joined leading liberal senators in offering and voting for amendments designed to undermine the tax cuts.

He has colluded with Russ Feingold to undermine the First Amendment to abridge citizens' free speech in the political process.

He has colluded with Vice-President Al Gore and Senator Joseph Lieberman to expand greatly the power of government in order to combat global warming in ways that would greatly increase energy prices and negatively affect consumers.

He has colluded with Ted Kennedy to promote amnesty for 20 million illegal immigrants.

He has colluded with Ted Kennedy and John Edwards to create the Patients Bill of Rights, which allowed the government to impose a set of onerous mandates on insurance coverage instead of allowing individuals to make their own decisions about healthcare plans in the marketplace.

He has undermined the principles of a free market economy by voting for an amendment that would authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to set prices on prescription drugs under Medicare.

He has voted to undermine American Sovereignty by granting consulting rights to Mexico concerning the erection of a southern border fence

He has a consistent pattern of shocking verbal abuse of Senate colleagues who oppose his bills.

He has exercised extremely poor judgment by intervening with the federal regulators on behalf of Keating in the Savings and Loan Crisis of the 1980s.

He sponsored and voted for a 282% tax increase on cigarettes that also would have increased the size of the federal bureaucracy exponentially.

He supports raising Social Security taxes.

He has promoted the granting of the unconstitutional line-item veto power to the president that tramples the constitutional separation of powers.

He has undermined the Republican Party and opposed the constitutional duties of the vice president to break a tie on judicial nominations.

He has demonstrated consistent leadership to undermine second amendment rights by his promotion of bills that regulate all sales at gun shows; that force gun-owners to purchase trigger locks making their firearms useless for self-defense; that restrict the legitimate transfer of firearms over the internet; and that extend the restrictions of the Brady bill to pawn shops and gun repair shops.

He has voted to use taxpayer funds to harvest stem cells from human embryos.

He has refused to take immediate and and direct action to protect the life of the unborn; he opposes the repeal of Roe v. Wade; and he opposes a constitutional amendment to protect all human life.

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx opposes any effort to promote, support, or endorse Senator John McCain as the Republican nominee, and

RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx will only endorse candidates who promote the philosophy and principles of conservatism in government, and promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual freedom, and whom have consistently demonstrated a record of public service as evidence of their principled beliefs.
---------------------------------------------------------------

JeffersonAndLiberty
02-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Here are some more details on his ratings from the American for Tax Reform.... In case you need any specifics, they list all the tax cuts he opposed:

http://www.atr.org/content/html/mccainvotingrecord.html

Smiley Gladhands
02-08-2008, 11:57 AM
The life and war positions are obviously from our candidate. They may not want it worded that way. Change it til it's something they can sign.

+1 on downplaying the war position. Plus, did he really promise to be in Iraq for 100 years? I seem to remember an 'if necessary' or some other conditional phrase in there.

I know that to us, even implying that we could even possibly be in Iraq for 100 years represents a wasteful, big-government, interventionist mindset....but most Republicans won't see it the same way right now. We should hammer him on points of agreement between us and those who consider themselves conservatives....based on points which we can all agree represent conservatism (guns, amnesty, tax cuts, wasteful government corruption, etc.).

I'm cool with the pro-life part though.

Edit: looking at the post 2 above this one, I see the war wasn't included. Good call. I think the issues covered in that post represent a good set of issues to tackle. Perhaps playing around with some wording would be beneficial. Personally, I'd use a stronger word (or phrasing) than 'counter' in the 3rd paragraph. Skimming over the paragraph I see John McCain, public service, conservatism....the one word, counter, negates what otherwise looks like a supportive paragraph for McCain. Maybe you can put it in all caps or in bold. Or maybe I'm the only one whose eyes drifted past the word 'counter' at first, and thought it was about to be a resolution praising McCain....

nullvalu
02-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Brilliant!!!!!!!!

jblosser
02-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Ok! This is what I've come up with. Constructive criticism?

Depending on what exactly they want I would stick with fewer specific examples that are more generic and don't require a lot of details. Just call them Democrats instead of naming names; not everyone knows those names. Things like verbal abuse don't necessarily make him a bad conservative.

This is why I wrote mine the way I did, anyway. But use whatever they'll sign, the principle is what counts.

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Depending on what exactly they want I would stick with fewer specific examples that are more generic and don't require a lot of details. Just call them Democrats instead of naming names; not everyone knows those names. Things like verbal abuse don't necessarily make him a bad conservative.

This is why I wrote mine the way I did, anyway. But use whatever they'll sign, the principle is what counts.

Ooh. Good point on saying Democrats vs. naming names.

I thought that it would be better to have example after example after example, so that the overwhelming evidence would be against him. Also, it would bring things to mind at the meeting that maybe people have forgotten about. Maybe I'm wrong on that?

Oh. The verbal abuse thing. Maybe we could word that more strongly? I wouldn't want this guy anywhere near "the button"!!! See: McCain Attacking Republicans Top Ten List (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/news/presidential_briefing/?p=161) :eek:

jblosser
02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I thought that it would be better to have example after example after example, so that the overwhelming evidence would be against him. Also, it would bring things to mind at the meeting that maybe people have forgotten about. Maybe I'm wrong on that?

The more things you have the more likely people will find something they agreed with him on and therefore they won't sign.

He's so fundamentally NON-conservative you don't really *need* a long list; he fails on pretty much every single conservative touch point. He's closest to conservatives on life, but didn't even start out that way, and like the rest that aren't Paul refuses to actually do anything to fix the problem.

Elwar
02-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Was it verified that he asked to be John Kerry's running mate in 2004?

Jae0
02-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Good job!

BuddyRey
02-08-2008, 01:14 PM
bump

2orb
02-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Heather,

In another thread I found an example of a resolution from the LNC for RP to run as the Libertarian nominee. I don't believe this will get him elected but it is a good example of how you might write your resolution.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=116105

Good Luck!

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Ok, here's version 1.1:

-------------------------------------------------------

WHEREAS the Republican Party is founded upon the conservative political philosophy derived from the belief that individuals are endowed not by the government but by the Creator with certain unalienable rights and the belief that the Constitution of the United States of America is designed to guarantee the free exercise of these rights through strictly limiting the power of government whose powers are derived only from the consent of the governed, and

WHEREAS the Principles of Conservatism promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual Freedom, and

WHEREAS the leading presidential candidate for the Republican Party, Senator John McCain, has consistently demonstrated a record of public service counter to the philosophy and principles of conservatism and the Republican Party. To prove this, let these facts be submitted.

He has fought the Republican Party by strongly opposing President Bush's tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. He also joined leading liberal senators in offering and voting for amendments designed to undermine the tax cuts.

He has worked with the Democrats to undermine the First Amendment to abridge citizens' free speech in the political process.

He has worked against the Republican Party to expand greatly the power of government in order to combat global warming in ways that would greatly increase energy prices and negatively affect consumers.

He has worked with the Democrats to promote amnesty for 20 million illegal immigrants.

He has fought the Republican Party to create the Patient’s Bill of Rights, which allowed the government to impose a set of onerous mandates on insurance coverage.

He has undermined the principles of a free market economy by voting for an amendment that would authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to set prices on prescription drugs under Medicare.

He has voted to undermine American Sovereignty by granting consulting rights to Mexico concerning the erection of a southern border fence

He has a consistent pattern of shocking verbal abuse, including screaming profanities, against Senate Republican colleagues who oppose his bills in any way.

He has exercised scandalously poor judgment by intervening with the federal regulators on behalf of Keating in the Savings and Loan Crisis of the 1980s.

He sponsored and voted for a 282% tax increase on cigarettes that also would have increased the size of the federal bureaucracy exponentially.

He has undermined the Republican Party and opposed the constitutional duties of the vice president to break a tie on judicial nominations.

He has demonstrated consistent leadership on undermining second amendment rights by his promotion of bills that regulate all sales at gun shows; that force gun-owners to purchase trigger locks making their firearms useless for self-defense; that restrict the legitimate transfer of firearms over the internet; and that extend the restrictions of the Brady bill to pawn shops and gun repair shops.

He has refused to take immediate and direct action to protect the life of the unborn; he opposes the repeal of Roe v. Wade; and he opposes a constitutional amendment to protect all human life.

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx opposes any effort to promote, support, or endorse Senator John McCain as the Republican nominee, and

RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx will only support candidates who promote the philosophy and principles of conservatism in government, and promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual Freedom, and whom have consistently demonstrated a record of public service as evidence of their principled beliefs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I changed everything to the generic Democrat or 'against' Republicans instead of specific individuals.

Also, I took out the line item veto; I think some Republicans are for it and I'm trying to eliminate issues that might cause doubt.

Revolution9
02-08-2008, 02:56 PM

Short and sweet and leaves them to fill in the blanks. Best suggestion so far..not that there were dozens of entries ... yet..

Best
Randy

LandonCook
02-08-2008, 04:50 PM

I will try to help draft some specifics if I can get to it later, got a lot of this stuff to write right now.

Wow, we really have become politicans.... I LOVE IT!

jblosser
02-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Wow, we really have become politicans.... I LOVE IT!

Well my wife keeps reminding me my degree says Political Science but I don't really this all being in my courses. :-P

Archie
02-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Hey guys have any of you's good folks thought about getting the word out about Ron Paul on all the Coinforums out there? I mean what a perfect place to pick up easy votes with posting on those sites saying "Ron Paul Is The Coin Collectors Best Friend" I mean his views on Gold and Silver and soundmoney being linked to forign policy would really get the attention of all the coin collectors in the states.. I just made a Post on a coinforum about RP saying how he is the best cherce for those who really respect the heritage and history of sound money ie gold/silver coins...

Just Come Home
02-08-2008, 06:19 PM
You should use "where in the course of human events" in there somewhere for dramatic flair...

chipvogel
02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
my turn

on the local conservative talk radio people keep calling in saying there isn't any difference between McCain and Clinton

McCain is clearly more conservative than Clinton but what I see they have in common is they way they've campaigned for office. There is the same sleazy smell about both of them.

Playing to the local audience and changing position to get votes. They both are lacking in the trust factor. There is no telling where they really stand. McCain was lucky to have Romney in the running because Romney served as the basis for comparison on flip/flopping. If Romney hadn't been running then McCain would have been the clear base for flipping.

hawks4ronpaul
02-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Exponentially?

Probably all Republicans "work with Democrats." Bush bragged about doing so in 2000 (he was the uniter).

Conza88
02-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Just realize, they are crushing mccain....

because HILLARY IS THE NOMINEE.

What they don't know,... is that there is a thing called BLOWBACK ;)

hawks4ronpaul
02-08-2008, 07:12 PM
McCain: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1221725#post1221725

angelatc
02-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Chris Matthews just did a Top 10 list. One thing I had not heard before is that McCain favors loosening restrictions on federally funded stem cell research! :0

Oops That's already there! YOu've got it covered!!! You did great!!!

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Criticism (here and private messaged) taken. Here's version 1.2:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. He has fought the Republican Party by strongly opposing President Bush's tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. He also joined leading liberal senators in offering and voting for amendments designed to undermine the tax cuts.

2. He has worked against Conservative principles to undermine the First Amendment to abridge citizens' free speech in the political process.

3. He has worked against the Republican Party to expand federal regulatory authority in order to combat global warming in ways that would greatly burden the American economy.

4. He has worked against the Republican Party to promote amnesty for 20 million illegal immigrants.

5. He has fought the Republican Party to create the Patient’s Bill of Rights, which allowed the government to impose a set of onerous mandates on insurance coverage.

6. He has undermined the principles of a free market economy by voting for an amendment that would authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to set prices on prescription drugs under Medicare.

7. He has voted to undermine American Sovereignty by granting consulting rights to Mexico concerning the erection of a southern border fence.

8. He has a consistent pattern of shocking verbal abuse, including screaming profanities, against Senate Republican colleagues who oppose his bills in any way.

9. He has exercised scandalously poor judgment by intervening with the federal regulators on behalf of Keating in the Savings and Loan Crisis of the 1980s.

10. He sponsored and voted for a 282% tax increase on cigarettes that also would have unconstitutionally violated the First Amendment and increased the size of the federal bureaucracy exponentially by giving the FDA unrestricted control over nicotine.

11. He supports raising Social Security taxes.

12. He has undermined the Constitution and opposed the Constitutional duties of the vice president to break a tie on judicial nominations.

13. He has demonstrated consistent leadership on undermining Second Amendment rights by his promotion of bills that regulate all sales at gun shows; that force gun-owners to purchase trigger locks making their firearms useless for self-defense; that restrict the legitimate transfer of firearms over the internet; and that extend the restrictions of the Brady bill to pawn shops and gun repair shops.

14. He has voted to use taxpayer funds to harvest stem cells from human embryos.

15. He has refused to take immediate and direct action to protect the life of the unborn; he opposes the repeal of Roe v. Wade; and he opposes a constitutional amendment to protect all human life.

RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx will only support candidates who promote the philosophy and principles of conservatism in government, and promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual Freedom, and whom have consistently demonstrated a record of public service as evidence of their principled beliefs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting better?

foofighter20x
02-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Ok, here's version 1.1:

-------------------------------------------------------

WHEREAS[,] the Republican Party is founded upon the conservative political philosophy derived from the principle that individuals are endowed not by the government[,] but by the Creator[,] with certain unalienable rights.

And WHEREAS[,] [STRIKE:and the belief that] the Constitution of the United States [STRIKE:of America] is designed to guarantee the unfettered exercise of those rights by strictly limiting the power of government[,] whose authority is derived only from the consent of the governed.

And WHEREAS[,] the Principles of Conservatism promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual Freedom.

And WHEREAS[,] the leading presidential candidate for the Republican Party, Senator John McCain, has consistently demonstrated a record of public service counter to the philosophy and principles of conservatism and the Republican Party. To prove this, let these facts be submitted:

He has broken with the Republican Party in strongly opposing President Bush's tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. He also joined leading liberal senators in offering and voting for amendments designed to undermine the tax cuts.

He has colluded with the Democrats[,] undermining the First Amendment by abridging the free speech of citizens partaking in the political process.

He has worked against the principles of the Republican Party[,] greatly expanding the power of government in order to combat global warming in ways that would greatly increase energy prices and negatively affect consumers[,] contrary to free market forces.

He has colluded with the Democrats to make a mockery of the rule of law, promoting amnesty for 20 million illegal immigrants.

He has fought the Republican Party to create the Patient’s Bill of Rights, which allowed the government to impose a set of onerous mandates on insurance coverage.

He has voted to subvert American Sovereignty by granting consulting rights to Mexico concerning the erection of a southern border fence

He has a consistent pattern of shocking verbal abuse, including screaming profanities, against Senate Republican colleagues who oppose his bills in any way.

He has exercised scandalously poor judgment by intervening with the federal regulators on behalf of Keating in the Savings and Loan Crisis of the 1980s.

He has consistently lead efforts abrogating second amendment rights by promoting bills which regulate all sales at gun shows; which force gun-owners to purchase trigger locks making their firearms useless for self-defense; which restrict the legitimate transfer of firearms over the internet; and which extend the restrictions of the Brady bill to pawn shops and gun repair shops.

He has refused to take immediate and direct action to protect the life of the unborn; he opposes the repeal of Roe v. Wade; and he opposes a constitutional amendment to protect all human life.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx will only support candidates who promote the philosophy and principles of conservatism in government; who promote smaller government, fiscal discipline, and greater economic and personal freedoms; and who have consistently demonstrated a record of public service as evidence of their principled beliefs.

Bolded my inputs...

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Bolded my inputs...

Fantastic. I absolutely needed this kind of input! I'm using this to change our latest version.

~Heather

hawks4ronpaul
02-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Do not use collude, subvert, and abrogate if you want to reach the average voter.

The rule is to write at a 6-8th-grade level for a mass audience.

dblee
02-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Basically you go

WHEREAS however many times

then

THEREFORE LET IT BE RESOLVED blah blah blah

dblee
02-08-2008, 08:09 PM
make sure you don't include anything that isn't verifiable fact.

foofighter20x
02-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Do not use collude, subvert, and abrogate if you want to reach the average voter.

The rule is to write at a 6-8th-grade level for a mass audience.

I can agree with your point on abrogate, but collude and subvert are words well known enough to be used, and they are much stronger than what was used.

kyleAF
02-08-2008, 08:17 PM
In my state MN anyone can write a resolution and present it at caucus. We had one presented about immigration.

It would be a good idea that a form letter resolution get writen and posted here and that these get presented at all caucus states? This would for sure put a damper on all those at the caucus voting for McInsane...

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IMAGES/CARTOONS/toon020508.gif

BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!!

We need to turn the GOP against McCain at every opportunity, and at every caucus. Remember: "All politics is local". That's the key to Paul's campaign, and the key to unseating McCain.

hawks4ronpaul
02-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I can agree with your point on abrogate, but collude and subvert are words well known enough to be used, and they are much stronger than what was used.

I agree that strong is good although conspire, undermine/betray, and violate are more common.

Somewhere there might be word commonness rankings or SAT question-difficulty ratings to use as a guide.

I do not have any favorite word in mind but wanted to mention the "know your audience" rule.

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I think we've got it! Here's version 2.0:

-----------------------------------------------------------

WHEREAS, the Republican Party is founded upon the conservative political philosophy derived from the principle that individuals are endowed not by the government, but by the Creator, with certain unalienable rights, and

WHEREAS, the Constitution of the United States is designed to guarantee unfettered exercise of those rights by strictly limiting the power of government, whose authority derived only from the consent of the governed, and

WHEREAS, the Principles of Conservatism promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual Freedom, and

WHEREAS, the leading presidential candidate for the Republican Party, Senator John McCain, has consistently demonstrated a record of public service counter to the philosophy and principles of conservatism and the Republican Party. To prove this, let these facts be submitted:

1. He has broken with the Republican Party in strongly opposing President Bush's tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. He also joined leading liberal senators in offering and voting for amendments designed to undermine the tax cuts.

2. He has worked against Conservative principles, undermining the First Amendment by abridging the free speech of citizens partaking in the political process.

3. He has worked against the principles of the Republican Party, greatly expanding federal regulatory authority in order to combat global warming in ways that would greatly burden the American economy, contrary to free market forces.

4. He has worked against the Republican Party to make a mockery of the rule of law, promoting amnesty for 20 million illegal immigrants.

5. He has fought the Republican Party to create the Patient’s Bill of Rights, which allowed the government to impose a set of onerous mandates on insurance coverage.

6. He has undermined the principles of a free market economy by voting for an amendment that would authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to set prices on prescription drugs under Medicare.

7. He has voted to subvert American Sovereignty by granting consulting rights to Mexico concerning the erection of a southern border fence.

8. He has a consistent pattern of shocking verbal abuse, including screaming profanities, against Senate Republican colleagues who oppose his bills in any way.

9. He has exercised scandalously poor judgment by intervening with the federal regulators on behalf of Keating in the Savings and Loan Crisis of the 1980s.

10. He sponsored and voted for a 282% tax increase on cigarettes that would have unconstitutionally violated the First Amendment and increased the size of the federal bureaucracy exponentially by giving the FDA unrestricted control over nicotine.

12. He has undermined the Constitution and opposed the Constitutional duties of the vice president to break a tie on judicial nominations.

13. He has consistently led efforts undermining Second Amendment rights by promoting bills which regulate all sales at gun shows; which force gun-owners to purchase trigger locks making their firearms useless for self-defense; which restrict the legitimate transfer of firearms over the internet; and which extend the restrictions of the Brady bill to pawn shops and gun repair shops.

14. He has voted to use taxpayer funds to harvest stem cells from human embryos.

15. He has refused to take immediate and direct action to protect the life of the unborn; he opposes the repeal of Roe v. Wade; and he opposes a constitutional amendment to protect all human life.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Republican Party of the xxxxxx will only support candidates who promote the philosophy and principles of conservatism in government; who promote smaller government, fiscal discipline, and greater economic and personal freedoms; and who have consistently demonstrated a record of public service as evidence of their principled beliefs.

----------------------------------------------------------

I love it now!

Anything else to change? We have until Monday.

kyleAF
02-08-2008, 08:29 PM

WHEREAS, the Republican Party is founded upon the conservative political philosophy derived from the principle that individuals are endowed not by the government, but by the Creator, with certain unalienable rights, and

WHEREAS, the Constitution of the United States is designed to guarantee unfettered exercise of those rights by strictly limiting the power of government, whose authority is derived only from the consent of the governed, and

WHEREAS, the Principles of Conservatism promote Liberty, Prosperity and Individual Freedom, and

WHEREAS, the leading presidential candidate for the Republican Party, Senator John McCain, has consistently demonstrated a record of public service counter to the philosophy and principles of conservatism and the Republican Party. To prove this, let these facts be submitted:

1. He has broken with the Republican Party in strongly opposing President Bush's tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. He also joined (use liberals' names for effect?)leading liberal senators in offering and voting for amendments designed to undermine the tax cuts.

2. He has worked against Conservative principles, undermining the First Amendment by abridging the free speech of citizens partaking in the political process.

3. He has worked against the principles of the Republican Party, greatly expanding federal regulatory authority in order to combat global warming in ways that would greatly burden the American economy, contrary to free market forces.

4. He has worked against the Republican Party to make a mockery of the rule of law, promoting amnesty for 20 million illegal immigrants.

7. He has voted to subvert American Sovereignty by granting consulting rights to Mexico concerning the erection of a southern border fence.

10. He sponsored and voted for a 282% tax increase on cigarettes that would have unconstitutionally violated the First Amendment and increased the size of the federal bureaucracy exponentially by giving the FDA unrestricted control over nicotine.

13. He has consistently led efforts undermining Second Amendment rights by promoting bills which regulate all sales at gun shows; which force gun-owners to purchase trigger locks making their firearms useless for self-defense; which restrict the legitimate transfer of firearms over the internet; and which extend the restrictions of the Brady bill to pawn shops and gun repair shops.

----------------------------------------------------------

I love it now!

I like it. You forgot an "is", which I've got bolded. Would adding the names help? E.g. McCain-Feingold...
When we agree on a final product, please repost this in its own thread and encourage everyone to push this to their local GOP people. Great work!

foofighter20x
02-08-2008, 08:29 PM

WHEREAS, the Constitution of the United States is designed to guarantee the unfettered exercise of those rights by strictly limiting the power of government, whose authority is derived only from the consent of the governed, and

1. He has broken with the Republican Party in strongly opposing President Bush's tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. He also joined leading liberal senators in offering and voting for amendments designed to undermine the tax cuts.

6. He has undermined the principles of a free market economy by voting for an amendment that would authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to implement price controls on prescription drugs under Medicare.

12. He has undermined the Constitution and opposed the Constitutional duties of the Vice President to break a tie on judicial nominations.

I missed one. :o

Should you maybe reorder the numbered bullets into subgroups, like how he's curtailed rights are grouped together, how he's meddled in the market, how he's split from the party on other miscellaneous issues, etc... ??

ShowMeLiberty
02-08-2008, 08:42 PM

If it is verifiable, I would add a bit more to point #2:

2. He has worked against Conservative principles, undermining the First Amendment by abridging the free speech of citizens partaking in the political process. Further, he accepted federal matching funds in the 2008 presidential primary cycle when, as a result of the campaign finance reforms he co-sponsored, his campaign did not raise enough money to be competitive.

In point #9 I would use Keating's full name:

9. He has exercised scandalously poor judgment by intervening with the federal regulators on behalf of Charles H. Keating Jr in the Savings and Loan Crisis of the 1980s.

Good luck with this! I hope it gets unanimous support!

WRellim
02-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Heather,

Check this one:
http://thinkmikehuckabee.blogspot.com/2008/02/america-says-no-to-john-mccain.html

America Says No To John McCain

Conservatives say no to John McCain...

John McCain voted to reward up to 6 million illegal aliens with amnesty (2007)

John McCain Voted YES on comprehensive immigration reform. (Jun 2007), Joining Ted Kennedy, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and other liberals on amnesty just last year!

John McCain Voted YES on allowing illegal aliens to participate in Social Security. (May 2006)

John McCain Voted YES on giving Guest Workers a path to citizenship. (May 2006)

John McCain Voted YES on allowing more foreign workers into the US for farm work. (Jul 1998)

John McCain should change his campaign slogan from "No Surrender" to "No Surrender - Except for Amnesty, The Second Amendment or Supporting the Constitution" OR "I John McCain Sold Out The American People, in favor of Illegal Aliens..."

markj
02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Heather,

We have a meetup here in Rock County tomorrow. Would you mind if I show this to them for possible submission to our county GOP? I think we should spread this statewide ASAP!

Mark

jglapski
02-08-2008, 10:45 PM

I disagree with that. There are Democrats and then there are Democrats.

Ted Kennedy is a more despised figure than the generic "Democrat" would be. Joe Lieberman probably isn't. Al Gore probably is. Feingold, no. I would alter this on a case by case basis.

I don't know if you want to mention 4th amendment issues (Patriot Act), as well as other traditionally conservative values such as family - which McCain's adultery is antithetical towards.

That said, your original list was absolutely beautiful.

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Ok. Corrections made. Here is version 2.5:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEREAS, the Constitution of the United States is designed to guarantee unfettered exercise of those rights by strictly limiting the power of government, whose authority derived only from the consent of the governed, and

1. He has a consistent pattern of shocking verbal abuse, including screaming profanities, against Senate Republican colleagues who oppose his bills in any way.

2. He has exercised scandalously poor judgment by intervening with the federal regulators on behalf of Charles H. Keating, Jr. in the Savings and Loan Crisis of the 1980s.

3. He has worked against the principles of the Republican Party, promoting greatly expanding federal regulatory authority in order to combat global warming in ways that would greatly burden the American economy, contrary to free market forces.

5. He has fought the Republican Party to create the Patient’s Bill of Rights, which allowed the government to impose a set of burdensome mandates on insurance coverage.

4. He has undermined the principles of a free market economy by voting for an amendment that would authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to implement price controls on prescription drugs under Medicare.

6. He has worked against the Republican Party to make a mockery of the rule of law, promoting amnesty for 20 million illegal immigrants.

8. He has undermined the Constitution and opposed the Constitutional duties of the Vice President to break a tie on judicial nominations.

9. He has worked against Conservative principles, undermining the First Amendment by abridging the free speech of citizens partaking in the political process.

10. He has consistently led efforts undermining Second Amendment rights by promoting bills which regulate all sales at gun shows; which force gun-owners to purchase trigger locks making their firearms useless for self-defense; which restrict the legitimate transfer of firearms over the internet; and which extend the restrictions of the Brady bill to pawn shops and gun repair shops.

11. He has voted to use taxpayer funds to harvest stem cells from human embryos.

12. He has refused to take immediate and direct action to protect the life of the unborn; he opposes the repeal of Roe v. Wade; and he opposes a constitutional amendment to protect all human life.

13. He sponsored and voted for a 282% tax increase on cigarettes that would have unconstitutionally violated the First Amendment and increased the size of the federal bureaucracy exponentially by giving the FDA unrestricted control over nicotine.

14. He supports raising Social Security taxes.

15. He has broken with the Republican Party in strongly opposing President Bush's tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. He also joined leading liberal senators in offering and voting for amendments designed to undermine the tax cuts.

THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Republican Party of XXXXX opposes any effort to promote, support, or endorse Senator John McCain as the Republican nominee, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Republican Party of XXXXX will only support candidates who promote the philosophy and principles of conservatism in government; who promote smaller government, fiscal discipline, and greater economic and personal freedoms; and who have consistently demonstrated a record of public service as evidence of their principled beliefs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all of your suggestions and corrections. If you notice anything else, please point it out.

Absolutely feel free to adopt/alter for your Meetup for submission to your local GOP party!!!

Knightskye
02-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Ron Paul had some good anti-McCain remarks in his CPAC speech. Something about agreeing with Al Gore on Global Warming legislation. :D

d03boy
02-08-2008, 11:13 PM
I go to college in downtown Milwaukee (MSOE) but I don't think I'd be much help with this sort of thing unfortunately

edit: does unalienable mean inalienable? i wonder what the difference is..

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=d03boy;1223591
does unalienable mean inalienable? i wonder what the difference is..[/QUOTE]

I had to Google it ... very interesting!!!

http://www.gemworld.com/USA-Unalienable.htm

gerryb
02-09-2008, 12:22 AM
In 15. I would replace "liberal" with "Democrats" or "Socialists".

Liberal was made a derogatory word by the neocons. Ron Paul, by definition, is a Classical Liberal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal

Verad
02-14-2008, 06:31 PM
BUMP HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Seriously, this could be useful in demonstrating to rank and filers (within the Reps.) why they should be anti-McCain.

Kotin
02-14-2008, 06:39 PM
good luck heather.