PDA

View Full Version : The Patriot's Dictionary

nobody's_hero
02-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Thank you for purchasing a copy of The Patriot's Dictionary!
(okay, actually, this is free to everyone)

"Okay, so I know what we are fighting for, but there should be some understanding of what we are fighting against. I have seen the terminology "the establishment" used, and I like the phrase so much that I want to use it in my arguments as well. I know I don't like "the establishment", but I don't exactly know what it consists of. Is it the two-party binopoly? Is it the manipulative media moguls? Is it the collection of lies? Is it the mere convenience of going around the Constitution to achieve security, or is it a culmination of all of these?" - Me

And so was born the idea for The Patriot's Dictionary!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is for anyone who wants to define any words or phrases related to this rEVOLution. This database will help newcomers to the Ron Paul campaign to understand what we are talking about when we use terms like "MSM" (It took me a while to figure out this acronym when I first visited these forums, but when it came to me, I was like "duh") or "'Faux' News." Hopefully we can get enough definitions in this thread that someone can come here, copy and paste a definition which they'd like to use on other forums or real-world arguments. So please, don't expect any royalties or copyrights for your definition, no matter how good you think it is. :)

Simple thoughts to consider if you wish to participate in this project:

1) Please take some time to think about your answer, and then post your reply here.

2) Your definition can be 'official,' or it can be a reflection of your opinion of what the word or phrase means in relation to our rEVOLution.

3) Please don't debate another person's response (in this thread, at least), simply include an alternate definition. Use this thread strictly for information purposes.

4) You don't, and probably shouldn't, need to go into an explanation of your answer (that would likely lead to a debate and distract from the purpose of this thread).

5) Basically, There are no right or wrong definitions, only the opinions of individuals.

6) It may be the case that the shorter the replies are, the more 'official'-looking and effective this dictionary will be.

7) Include the word you want to define in the "Subject Title" of your reply so that it stands out.

8) Post as many words or phrase definitions as you want, but please limit one definition per post, to maintain a level of comprehensibility.

9) Maybe we can even get a "sticky" thread out of this, if it is done well. Don't forget to include 'see also' synonyms and an example-use sentence, if you want to:

10) (Note that the schwa ə doesn't copy and paste well to this forum. It comes out smaller, but we don't have to be that picky :D)

Note to the moderators: If you think this thread might get more attention in another sub-forum, or if it is simply more appropriate to be somewhere else, please move it. I was kind of thinking it might go best in the "Welcome! New to Ron Paul?" Forum, but it would get much more attention here. It won't hurt my feelings if you move it. :)

I'll start it off:

nobody's_hero
02-08-2008, 08:31 AM
the establishment (thē ĭ-stāb'lĭsh-mənt)
-noun

1. A form of government in which an oligarchy is dishonestly disguised as a republic; "he had always thought his country was ruled by elected officials, but in reality, the establishment called the shots" [see also: tyranny]

yongrel
02-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Is this gonna be like urban dictionary, where folks vote up the best definitions?

nobody's_hero
02-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Unfortunately, there isn't a capability to do that here. I don't plan to start a dedicated website like urbandictionary.com, but that's basically the idea here. Anyway, let's stick to just the definitions. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them in another thread ;)

the_bee
02-08-2008, 08:49 AM
for now .........i need to think....................

Midknight
02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Mainstream Media- Television, radio, news papers, magazines, movies, and all mediums for entertainment and news, that have the majority of customers across the country- and the world.
Especially used to point out a negative, or questionable use of reporting and entertainment, usually assumed to promote a certain goal or agenda, often that is morally reprehensible, or dangerous to our country as a whole.

Synonyms: MSM, Establishment Media, Murdoch empire.

"The Mainstream Media showed dozens and dozens of hours cumulatively for Obama, Hillary, Huckabee, Romney, and McCain, while Ron Paul, arguably the most dangerous person to *the establishment * has received a negligible amount of air time.