PDA

View Full Version : I need YOUR help updating KnowBeforeYouVote.com

MrZach
02-08-2008, 02:05 AM
KnowBeforeYouVote.com (http://www.KnowBeforeYouVote.com/)

Someone has offered to redesign the site to make it look more professional. However, I want to do more than just give it a face lift. I want to make it more "useful" and give it more credibility. This is NOT a propaganda piece for me. This is about revealing factual information and educating the public. Here is a checklist of things I want to accomplish in this update:

:D Create individual candidate pages with summaries of each SOURCE and VIDEO link (quotes) so when you click on a position, it takes you to that page and allows you to read the summary of the source before going directly to the source. This will also allow me to add many more sources per YES/NO answer.

:o Rephrase some of the issues so they are more informative and look less biased as well as have a more mass audience appeal.

:( Add summary information links to each issue so that readers can become quickly educated on some of the myths and realities on the issue - like I did with the "Bring Troops Home From Iraq in < 1 Year" issue. Right now, it isn't very inviting to read. I would like to do this in a way that presents BOTH SIDES of the argument, a "Why YES?" and a "Why NO?" column with credible sources and allows readers to decide where they stand. Also, I want to add a list of names of other individuals (with sources) to each YES/NO column to show where the so-called "experts" stand on the issue.

;) Add more categories, particularly one on the CFR and a some brief education on it showing how it links the Bush-Clinton-Bush foreign policy together and that another CFR President wouldn't change our foreign policy at all.

:rolleyes: Add more categories that aren't straight YES/NO answers but can lend brief summaries on some of the issues and where the candidates stand. Fore example, the Economy/Stimulus plan isn't very helpful in its current state - it needs to briefly summarize their positions and then link to the official page.

:p Make a sign-up form to join a mailing list!!! This way I can inform people of updates and news that will help them promote the site!!

:confused: Create a blog to track updates?

:mad: "Hire" a permanent volunteer staff to help me create graphics and ads to promote the website. I am an ideas man. I need to start delegating jobs. Right now, I need a designer/programmers, a couple of people in charge of just constantly promoting and plugging the site, someone to design ads, and a team of dedicated source researchers to keep searching the internet for the best links. I will retain approval authority over content and thereby sole responsibility, however there is so much work that needs to be done and can be done I am never going to get anything done if I try to do it all anymore.

PLEASE discuss, offer your recommendations, and most of all - give me source documentation links (this is the most time consuming task) that I can add to the sight. If you are ready to step up and volunteer to join my team, let me know and we'll talk about how you can help this information get into the hands of every voter in America.

MrZach
02-08-2008, 02:07 AM
er... never mind, forgot I can edit my post...

humanic
02-08-2008, 02:32 AM
I just read your post so hopefully I'll be able to help out in some way eventually, but KBYV is a GREAT idea, and I'm very pleased that you are overhauling it like this. The potential is huge and this is just what the site needs to realize that potential.

literatim
02-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Put Ron Paul before McCain. Group McCain with the other liberals. Also, never use Wikipedia as a source.

MrZach
02-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Put Ron Paul before McCain. Group McCain with the other liberals. Also, never use Wikipedia as a source.

Right now I have them in alphabetical order divided by party... Maybe I need to show the political party division better...?

I reference Wikipedia when there ARE no sources to confirm something. It is basically a "This person never talks about this issue, it isn't on their platform, and there are no sources on the internet, so here's the Wikipedia for you to look at..." link. I could do better, I know. This is why I want the candidate summary page.

I should create submission forms for people to submit better links to instead of just the general email link, shouldn't I?

Energy
02-08-2008, 03:20 AM
A game changer, I love it! I like the idea of keeping it more factual than biased.

After revamping the site, you should get a PDF flyer made based on the chart. Then everyone of us can be our own printing press and we can blanket our neighborhoods/precincts.

Have a version made for full page newspaper ads.

MrZach
02-08-2008, 03:30 AM
A game changer, I love it! I like the idea of keeping it more factual than biased.

After revamping the site, you should get a PDF flyer made based on the chart. Then everyone of us can be our own printing press and we can blanket our neighborhoods/precincts.

Have a version made for full page newspaper ads.

I already have some here:
http://www.knowbeforeyouvote.com/ads/

...and I need someone to help me keep them updated! :(

...plus maybe the link from the main page is not obvious enough for people to notice! :(

humanic
02-08-2008, 05:01 AM
I already have some here:

...and I need someone to help me keep them updated! :(

...plus maybe the link from the main page is not obvious enough for people to notice! :(

I always felt like the best idea would be a two-sided chart. On one side you have the basic chart with each issue numbered (and maybe with check marks instead of YES and blank boxes for NO to keep it simple for black and white printing). Then in small print on the opposite side a short description of the issue.

Example:

On the chart you'd have a column like: "5. Links Terrorism to 'Blowback' in Middle East", and RP would be the only one to have this checked. On the opposite side, it would say something like:

5. "Blowback" is a term coined by the CIA to describe unintended consequences of covert operations. An example of this is blahblahblah....

just a few sentences summarizing the issue

Lord Xar
02-08-2008, 05:06 AM
I think it is very important to link to McCains' dirt AND hucks' dirt.

Also, can "radio or tv ads" link to your site?

MrZach
02-08-2008, 05:17 AM
I think it is very important to link to McCains' dirt AND hucks' dirt.

Also, can "radio or tv ads" link to your site?

What do you mean about radio or tv ads linking to the site? Do you mean can people mention the site in radio/TV ads or do you mean can I link to ads from the site?

Lord Xar
02-08-2008, 05:21 AM
ala..

"To get the real scoop on the candiates without media spin, go to www.......com"

etc..

MrZach
02-08-2008, 05:35 AM
ala..

"To get the real scoop on the candiates without media spin, go to www.......com"

etc..

Gotcha!

Well, if that is the case, the site needs to REALLY be made to look much better and not so much like a Ron Paul propaganda source.

A list of major sources at the beginning on a splash page might be good to...

KevinR
02-08-2008, 06:26 AM
under "100% Balanced Budget Voting" Paul has Romneys info...

MrZach
02-08-2008, 06:40 AM
damnit! how does this keep happening! lol

Thanks!

MrZach
02-08-2008, 06:43 AM
under "100% Balanced Budget Voting" Paul has Romneys info...

fixed

KevinR
02-09-2008, 09:46 AM
This site would make a good flyer, any date on the updated version?

MrZach
02-09-2008, 03:40 PM
fliers are available here:

updated version? no date yet...

lastnymleft
02-10-2008, 12:16 AM
I know that there is psychology behind being seen to be the "yes" person (ask Obama!), but having a whole string of yes's like that reeks of "Ron Paul site - biased!" If you could mix it up a bit so that some of the answers were No, and chuck in a few more where the others actually agree with Dr Paul, it would dilute the perception of bias, but still allow them to zoom in on who is the right person for them.

Oh! It just occured to me: Zogby did a blind poll whereby he offered the positions of three candidates (Giuliani, Paul, and ??). The majority of people chose Dr Paul, when they didn't know it was him. Perhaps this could be done like that somehow? You could have a radio button in each answer's box, and at the end it could go to another page (or the pictures/names can be revealed) where they find out with surprise, no doubt, that Dr Paul was their favorite.

Also, it'd be good if it was Web 2.0-ish. Able to be displayed on iphones, etc. There's a lot to that Web 2.0 stuff, and I'm not the one to tell you about it!

One more point: add to the social networking promotional aspects. Include stumble, reddit, etc.

The "As seen in" section is terrific!