PDA

View Full Version : How very easy it is to be a delegate at your state convention

a2planet2
02-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Upon hearing the announcement of Romney's departure from the race today, I hurriedly sent off an email to every Michigan contact we have. Since our county conventions were the very same night, I only had a few hours--incredibly short notice already--so I rushed the email out as soon as possible. Knowing that anything might change in the next few hours, I set up a conference call for 6pm--90 minutes before most of the conventions, 60 for others.

As you may recall, Romney won Michigan, and at this time he's still keeping his delegates. So hopes were dim. Many of the other voices on the call were pessimistic ("what's the point, just for PR?") People were also mad that I made a fair amount of inaccuracies and hope-exaggerations in the email ("Let's win Michigan!" Hey, I was thinking fast). The disgruntled fired ex-coordinator was even there to scream into the line "WHAT'S THE POINT? DON'T GO!" People from my home county (I moved to the national office last month) were upset that the notice was so short. Admittedly, I should have said something earlier, but then, I figured, why WOULDN'T every Ron Paul supporter think of and make it their business to go to the county convention?

To complicate matters worse, the state GOP's website somehow crashed late that afternoon, so people who didn't already know where their convention was had to try their luck with Google (many on the call were successful, but still, it was a setback).

Turns out YES, it IS very important to rally the troops to the convention. You know what the outcome was?

:eek:Every single Ron Paul supporter in my county, who showed up, was made a state delegate for the state convention and an MIGOP precinct delegate for their precinct. :eek:

And Washtenaw county, with two major universities and three major hospitals, was the 6th largest in Michigan.

I don't think I need to explain why having a state convention full of Ron Paul supporters is a great thing! Regardless of the buffoonery in rounding up supporters to go and be heard, the outcome was as good as could be expected. I haven't talked with everyone in the state yet, but if Washtenaw was any indication, these seats are practically free for the asking.

So, unless for some reason you see Ron Paul supporters going to state conventions as a bad thing, I strongly encourage you all to be certain to attend your county conventions!

Akus
02-08-2008, 01:37 AM
If there ever was a bad time to back out, this here now would be that dog gone time.

fabijo
02-08-2008, 01:40 AM
The fight is not over yet. This is how it all is won. Loopholes, baby!

a2planet2
02-08-2008, 01:43 AM
The fight is not over yet. This is how it all is won. Loopholes, baby!

This isn't a loophole. This is the regular process! I would think for all the hard work and dedicated support, more Ron Paul supporters would realize that this is how we get to the national convention!

Bilgefisher
02-08-2008, 01:44 AM
This is an important post. Very good information.

a2planet2
02-08-2008, 01:46 AM
The important thing to realize, what all people in post-primary/caucus state need to realize and SPREAD AROUND, is that what today's development means for the upcoming conventions and even elections is that hardly anyone is going to bother showing up, plus many dejected supporters of gun rights and borders are now going to find Ron, so further victories at the state and local levels are now easier than ever!

literatim
I hope you send an email to all those who didn't show up to rub it in.

amonasro
This needs to be a sticky. Or at least keep it bumped. Maybe it should be top-secret, lol :D

fabijo
02-08-2008, 01:47 AM
This isn't a loophole. This is the regular process! I would think for all the hard work and dedicated support, more Ron Paul supporters would realize that this is how we get to the national convention!

True, true. Thanks for your persistent hard work! I hope more supporters are as diligent as you.

Everyone, check out www.gop.com and look up your state's GOP website under the State Parties link. You should be able to find out the important dates like the one that just happened in Michigan.

a2planet2
02-08-2008, 01:52 AM
I hope you send an email to all those who didn't show up to rub it in.

Pffff! Too busy sending emails to people who said "sorry, but I HAVE to vote for Romney to stop McCain..."

Just kidding, keep your eye on the future, not wallowing in the past, is my recommendation.

Bilgefisher
02-08-2008, 01:56 AM
This has to be the most important post this week, and people are missing it. Who gives a flying *&^% about the popular vote. If we win the delegates we win the nomination. Simple as that. You have done a great service.

literatim
02-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Pffff! Too busy sending emails to people who said "sorry, but I HAVE to vote for Romney to stop McCain..."

Just kidding, keep your eye on the future, not wallowing in the past, is my recommendation.

They voted for a slick used car salesman and they got a pos used car, what did they expect? :)

a2planet2
02-08-2008, 02:10 AM
I don't know; email the admins? On this site it isn't easy to keep a post from being lost in the tide.

seapilot
02-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Becoming a delegate is easier than tying your shoes. Just have to know where and when to show up.

a2planet2
02-08-2008, 03:37 AM
...yet so much more important

menoname
02-08-2008, 03:47 AM
bump

Arramond
02-08-2008, 03:51 AM
This is Vital information please sticky it

(I'm gonna bump it all day if you don't) :)

RobJinFlorida
02-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Every delegate in every state needs to hear the Ron Paul message again.
It is a different day. A better day. So get motivated!!!!!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=115814

Letter bomb and Flyer bomb the country.

Arramond
02-08-2008, 03:56 AM
Seriously this thread needs to be emailed to the 4 coners of the earth (well usa anyway) It is THAT important.

a2planet2
02-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Godspeed!

Arramond
02-08-2008, 04:05 AM
I just email this to Alex Jones web master so hopefully it will get some attention there.

Arramond
02-08-2008, 04:15 AM
Hope you dont mind but i did this

http://www.ronpaulwarroom.com/?p=5363

thegr8drronpaul
02-08-2008, 04:24 AM
Ok, so for all of us who still don't fully get the process, does your situation pertain to all other states, or was there a reason it worked in Michigan.

Arramond
02-08-2008, 04:58 AM
bump

menoname
02-08-2008, 05:35 AM
bump

menoname
02-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Keep on front page. Great story on how not to give up.

bucfish
02-08-2008, 06:30 AM
bump

luvthedoc08
02-08-2008, 06:36 AM
yes, this is the key, you guys should check the thread in my sig too

menoname
02-08-2008, 07:39 AM
this is great news, keep it bumped

limequat
02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Good work in Washtenaw.

We got skunked in Macomb. Probably had about 10 RP supporters running around, shaking hands, trying to figure out wtf is going on. It was a mess in Macomb, glad to hear it went better in Washtenaw. Any other counties reporting?

Redcard
02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Now, make sure you get the time off and money saved for the national delegation in Minnesota.

They don't pay for it.

drexhex
02-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Keeping it bumped and will do so all day until sticky.

GoDrNo
02-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I was unable to make it to the Oakland County convention due to the short notice (one car family, and wife was still at work). I heard that like Wayne and Macomb the Oakland county spots were all expected to remain full, so hopefully I didn't miss out on a spot.

menoname
02-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Keeping it bumped and will do so all day until sticky.

:)I am with ya.

fabijo
02-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Now, make sure you get the time off and money saved for the national delegation in Minnesota.

They don't pay for it.

Maybe we could get state coordinators to run chipins for each state for helping the Ron Paul delegates in their states to get to Minnesota.

menoname
02-08-2008, 09:30 AM
front page please

hillertexas
02-08-2008, 10:43 AM
bump

sirgonzo420
02-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Maybe we could get state coordinators to run chipins for each state for helping the Ron Paul delegates in their states to get to Minnesota.

I was wondering this myself. I am planning on doing everything in my power to become a delegate and make it to the RNC, but I'm quite poor (working poor, but still poor). Anyway, I will do what I can, but I don't want to commit to something and not be able to make it to the RNC because I can't afford it.

I'm going to start saving specifically for that trip, but a chip-in would lift a burden from my shoulders.

itshappening
02-08-2008, 11:01 AM
we need a seperate forum to help fund the delegates but i think that will come later...

RPDelegate
02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Are there other states that have already had their initial caucus or primary that are like MI, where RP supporters can just show up at County Conventions and grab up available delegate spots? If so, info on this should be spread like wild fire so we can make this happen. The lack of communication with stuff like this drives me insane!

promagma
02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Bottom line, if you support RP, attend your county convention. After reading this I will be going to mine, for sure.

Bilgefisher
02-08-2008, 11:50 AM
bump

amonasro
02-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Bottom line, if you support RP, attend your county convention. After reading this I will be going to mine, for sure.

+1776

Bradley in DC
02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Becoming a delegate is easier than tying your shoes. Just have to know where and when to show up.

Rules in each state are VERY different. Simplistic generalizations do our movement more harm than good. Learn the rules in your specific state.

Heather in WI
02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=a2planet2;1216265]
:eek:Every single Ron Paul supporter in my county, who showed up, was made a state delegate for the state convention :eek:

This happened here in WI too!!! The Republican Party is STARVED for membership.

fedup100
02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Now can you understand why I have been posting this "Paul's secret Plan"? We are winning, we have a winning candidate and don't know it. People are jumping ship because of the lies from the media and all the paid enemy trolls on the forum.

There are so many options for Paul to win this thing it is mind boggling. McCain will not make it to the convention. He is hated and has so much garbage, there is no way. Huck is broke. Mitt screwed up and now his delegates for the most part will got to Paul, they are jumping ship as we speak.

Now if we follow the plan below, and please do so quietly, you must not let anyone know you are a Paul supporter and then do not reveal that at a caucus either.....just run silent run deep, they are scared shitless because the man they have tried to erase from the public eye will win the whole thing.

PLEASE READ THE EMAILS BELOW TO UNDERSTAND WHY WE CAN WIN. THE FOLLOWING LINK IS ALSO A GOOD READ. PLEASE GO TO YOUR CAUCUS AND BECOME A DELEGATE. Thanks for all you are doing to save our country!

The Strategy is Working... A Must Read...
http://ron-paul-campaign.blogspot.com/2008/02/super-tuesday-winner.html
----- Original Message -----
Becoming a delegate takes less time than it does to read the following:

PEOPLE PLEASE READ THIS SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THAT WE CAN WIN THE NOMINATION AND STOP LISTENING TO THE MSM FOR YOUR INFO!
Posted February 6th, 2008 by SGP

I hope someone will put this on the front page so it doesn't get lost.

The MSM is not reporting how to become the nominee in a situation like this so I will tell you to stop getting your info from the MSM.

I know many of you are bummed about yesterday BUT THAT IS BECAUSE YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THE ELECTION SYSTEM WORKS : Let me explain to you the reality of how to become the nominee.

First stop looking at who wins each states popular vote for most of these states the vote by the people is really nothing but a straw poll and have no real bearing on who will become the nominee. The only way this matters i s if 1 person receives 1192 delegates that are bound by state rules to be committed to that candidate. So if a candidate like McCain has 600 delegates now and he doesn't reach 1192 most of the delegates the state awarded him mean nothing and keep in mind in most of the states most of the people that represent the 600 for McCain are actually Ron Paul supporters. NOW there is no possible way that anyone in the race can achieve this goal now because of the major split in state wins by the candidates.

So what happens now you ask? You look at the number of delegates that Dr. Paul has that are uncommitted to the other candidates and will support him. these delegates are not decided by the popular vote ie: straw poll of the people. Since no one will have enough delegates to skate them through to the nomination we now must look at how many delegates NOT VOTES but delegates Dr. Paul has that are 100% uncommitted to the other candidates and will be 100% for Dr. Paul and are free to vote for whom they wish.

This race will go all the way to the convention for there is no other way for someone to receive the nomination until the convention.

The RNC will convene its annual Winter Meeting - and voters will continue to cast their ballots in the nation's primaries and caucuses. Candidates for delegate and alternate delegate to the convention will be elected - and thousands of convention participants and guests will begin planning their trips to Minneapolis-Saint Paul The first week in September 2008

SO WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN?

This means that all of the people that registered to become a delegate for Dr. Paul can go to the convention and cast their vote for Dr. Paul, now think about what i just said : Do you think for one second that all the people that voted for Dr. Paul and filed to become a delegate will not show up at the convention to vote for the good Doctor? Of course they will just like they battled the rain and the sleet and the 15 below zero winter weather to knock on doors and wave signs spreading our message.

Now i assure you that even though we didn't win the popular vote in many states WE DID PICK UP THE MAJORITY OF DELEGATES THAN ALL THE OTHER CANDIDATES IN MOST EVERY STATE EXCEPT A FEW. So yes they won the straw poll and we won what counts which is delegates.

Doesn't Dr. Paul need to WIN 5 states to be on the ballot at the convention for the nomination?

NO THIS IS NOT TRUE for people were just confused on how it actually works.

We only need the majority of delegates from 5 states to be put on the ballot NOT THE POPULAR VOTE OF 5 STATES and i assure you we have picked up the majority of uncommitted delegates for Dr. Paul in more than 5 states.

Do any of you remember seeing posts by myself and many others that said BECOME A DELEGATE? There is still time in most states to become a delegate for the convention and we are picking up more of them every day.

So please STOP you worry too much because you do not understand how the election system works and you thought we lost didn't you?

The fact is Dr. Paul is a genius in his strategy and we are further ahead in delegates than you think and we can win the nomination.

I hope this gives a better understanding of how we have been winning even though most of you thought we were not.

NOW LETS KEEP WORKING!

Dr. Steve Parent

--
This message was sent by Stuart Grant (boulder@dccnet.com) from The Bellingham Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group.
To learn more about Stuart Grant, visit his/her member profile

Roderic006
02-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Same thing in Oakland County. I walked into the convention... walked into our congressional caucus, and signed up as a delegate since there were open spots.

They asked me if I knew other people that wanted to be delegates.

So I'll be there next weekend running for a national delegate spot, or at least voting for whom goes.

Roderic006
02-08-2008, 12:49 PM
However... you need to consolidate RP support in congressional districts. Thats where you get the NATIONAL DELEGATES .

It does no good to have support spread out all over the districts. Each district in Michigan gets awarded 3 delegates that get voted on in the State Convnetion in sub-caucuses, so you need a majority in each district to elect RP national delegates.

txporchpisser
02-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Thank you very much for your donation of $25.00 to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign.

Your donation will allow us to expand and grow our campaign.

We depend on donors like you to help us spread the message of freedom, peace and prosperity through Ron Paul’s candidacy.

Thanks for being a part of the campaign!

j0ew00ds
02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
bump for goodness.

Verad
02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
blimp

This needs to stay near the top.

menoname
02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=a2planet2;1216265]
:eek:Every single Ron Paul supporter in my county, who showed up, was made a state delegate for the state convention :eek:

This happened here in WI too!!! The Republican Party is STARVED for membership.

Need to keep these threads like this bumped to the first page. Show that its not over yet.:D:):)

Cap'n Crunk
02-08-2008, 02:20 PM
bump

SVS2K
02-08-2008, 02:34 PM
bump, gonna go donate now.

Anyone in CA know if this (http://www.cagop.org/index.cfm/convention.htm) is the sort of thing where new RP delegates can be made?

jawrightbiz
02-08-2008, 02:54 PM
I like how the Michigan GOP website crashed right after this info came out yesterday. I live in Michigan and did not get the onfo until it was too late....however my meetup group took care of everything.

ForLibertyFight
02-08-2008, 07:17 PM
bump :)

Lou337
02-08-2008, 08:27 PM
bump