PDA

View Full Version : Veterans and Service Members for Ron Paul

slantedview
08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
My brother (an Iraq veteran and a big Ron Paul supporter) and I want to setup a site to rally active duty and veteran service members who support Ron Paul. We'd like to use the site to serve as an online community for military Ron Paul supporters, and also use it to gather information and photos from the military visitors/members that can be used to demonstrate Paul's military support, and also in ads or whatever else.

So far these are the sections we envision:

Military for Paul (not sure what to call this, a place to gather information and photos from military supporters of paul and make the statistical data on supporters available)
Community (forums for military supporters of ron paul, and their families)
Events (meetups and official rally information, for military folks)
Support (campaign donations, ron paul merchandise, etc.)

I'd like to get any ideas for any sort of features (we can build whatever) or content to include on the site.

We're aware of a few similar sites, including www.military4Paul.com and www.veteransforpaul.org. I'd hate to reinvent the wheel, but we'd like to aim higher with more features and interactive content.... so let's just see what sort of ideas we can come up with.

Thanks

4Horsemen
08-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Sounds good to me. I thought there's already a vets of paul site though?

slantedview
08-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Sounds good to me. I thought there's already a vets of paul site though?
There is, but it's basically a blog. We'd like this site to be used to gather whatever kinds of information and tangible support we can obtain from both active duty service members and veterans (think of gathering service photos to be used for another mosaic, for example).

Shink
08-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Hopefully a forum, first of all.:P

A section that keeps important media contact info, email addresses, etc. (I have a huge list for msnbc and nbc...)

A section where we plan our actions along with non-military folks.

hard@work
08-09-2007, 05:28 PM
I'd suggest you add an "email your friend" section to allow users to send their buddies a signup. Do you have a database programmer?

shadowhooch
08-09-2007, 05:28 PM
It would be cool to have a veteran's mosaic (especially of Iraq war) of Ron Paul's image like the one they have here of supporters.

http://ronpaulmosaic.com/

Put that in an add with the caption Iraq War Veterans Support Ron Paul 2008! Have pictures of only veterans on it. :cool:

johnrocks
08-09-2007, 05:29 PM
First I would like to thank your brother for his service to our country. I think it is a great idea, pictures of soldiers, maybe a forum for soldiers that support the good Doctor, as for a name my mind is dust right now.

shrugged0106
08-09-2007, 05:32 PM
I saw this just today.

http://www.veteransforpaul.org/

Shink
08-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Have a photo section, mostly geared toward Iraq/Afghanistan pictures, unit photos, etc. Leave the setup open to older vets, as well, we could use their help.

I saw this just today.

http://www.veteransforpaul.org/

None of the links to those I've seen so far are nearly as ambitious as what we've laid down. If we get a forum, we're golden. We become a new 'social networking' site all geared to promoting Ron Paul with veterans there to validate his candidacy.

Yooper Jo
You might want to check out the military for RP site that was posted in the general forum a couple days ago.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=10734
http://www.military4paul.com/

LibertyEagle
This one also exists:

DeadheadForPaul
08-09-2007, 05:34 PM
1.) Thank you for your service
2.) Maybe you can contact the guy at Veterans for Paul or Military for Paul about adding those features while still maintaining their sites rather than having to start a new one? If not, maybe VetsForPaul.com or SoldiersForPaul.com and get the Veterans for Paul guy to put a link at the top of his blog to your site. Definitely contact him

3.) Picture
Name
Hometown
Service (army, navy, etc. and years)
Why Do you Support Ron Paul for President

Maybe have a picture in your uniform holding a sign if that's not too hokey

Make sure to put something about Dr. Paul receiving the most donations from the military in Q2

great idea

slantedview
08-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Have a photo section, mostly geared toward Iraq/Afghanistan pictures, unit photos, etc. Leave the setup open to older vets, as well, we could use their help.
Good ideas. It sounds like we're talking about a forum type setup with some sort of separate section for sharing photos...

slantedview
08-09-2007, 05:37 PM
You might want to check out the military for RP site that was posted in the general forum a couple days ago.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=10734
Yep, I came across this stuff. I'd definately hate to reinvent the wheel, so maybe we need to think about this a bit more.... but if we do this we'd like to aim higher and create something with more interactive features and content, and gather more information that can be used elsewhere later.

DeadheadForPaul
08-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Dont leave out the other Vets. My grandfather is Korean War and is voting for Paul...now only to get him on the internet lol

slantedview
08-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Dont leave out the other Vets. My grandfather is Korean War and is voting for Paul...now only to get him on the internet lol
Yeah, I'd really like to gather a bit of unobtrusive information on all of the service members/vets who visit the site, and display it as a badge of honor, for the vets/service members, and for Ron Paul.

Shink
08-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Yep, I came across this stuff. I'd definately hate to reinvent the wheel, so maybe we need to think about this a bit more.... but if we do this we'd like to aim higher and create something with more interactive features and content, and gather more information that can be used elsewhere later.

If a forum is possible, I think our ideas are worthwhile, if not...then we should sign up in the biggest of those other sites.

Exactly. We need to hit VA hospitals, VFWs, etc., and get them on board.

DeadheadForPaul
08-09-2007, 05:40 PM
If a forum is possible, I think our ideas are worthwhile, if not...then we should sign up in the biggest of those other sites.

Exactly. We need to hit VA hospitals, VFWs, etc., and get them on board.

The hospitals may be a little intrusive but any military supporters should hit up the Vet meetings/groups

Shink
08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
The hospitals may be a little intrusive but any military supporters should hit up the Vet meetings/groups

Well, handle it this way: When you go for your own scheduled purposes, make it more worthwhile by having literature and being prepared to discuss him. The other way is to leave info (including his donation numbers that beat ALL candidates) on windshields. I'm not suggesting running into a room when someone's getting a colonoscopy.:p

slantedview
08-09-2007, 05:53 PM
1.) Thank you for your service
2.) Maybe you can contact the guy at Veterans for Paul or Military for Paul about adding those features while still maintaining their sites rather than having to start a new one? If not, maybe VetsForPaul.com or SoldiersForPaul.com and get the Veterans for Paul guy to put a link at the top of his blog to your site. Definitely contact him

3.) Picture
Name
Hometown
Service (army, navy, etc. and years)
Why Do you Support Ron Paul for President

Maybe have a picture in your uniform holding a sign if that's not too hokey

Solid ideas

Make sure to put something about Dr. Paul receiving the most donations from the military in Q2

Of course :)

danda
08-09-2007, 05:53 PM
This thread has motivated me to collect this information over at the Online Rally.

The form will now include a checkbox:

---
[ ] Military Photo. Check this box if you are an active or retired member of the U.S. military *and* your photo shows you (ONLY YOU) in uniform.
---

We'll have to see how many people check the box. I may not get around to creating a separate mosaic image, but I will commit to:

1) Create a separate Zip file with military images. ( So anyone else can create mosaics. )

2) Report this info in the stats.

I will report here when the site has been updated.

Shink
08-09-2007, 05:55 PM
http://www.warontyranny.com?

vetsforfreedom.com ?

(If those guys will add forums and our other suggestions, that'd be good...his hits would jump up like crazy)

slantedview
08-09-2007, 06:04 PM
This thread has motivated me to collect this information over at the Online Rally.

The form will now include a checkbox:

---
[ ] Military Photo. Check this box if you are an active or retired member of the U.S. military *and* your photo shows you (ONLY YOU) in uniform.
---

We'll have to see how many people check the box. I may not get around to creating a separate mosaic image, but I will commit to:

1) Create a separate Zip file with military images. ( So anyone else can create mosaics. )

2) Report this info in the stats.

I will report here when the site has been updated.
It might be interesting to also know who has served in Iraq (since many people have a hard time believing that military/veterans who have served in Iraq support a position to withdraw)

slantedview
08-09-2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.warontyranny.com?

vetsforfreedom.com ?

(If those guys will add forums and our other suggestions, that'd be good...his hits would jump up like crazy)

We can definately put in forums and all that fun stuff. My only questions are at what point will we have to upgrade to more costly ISP service (I haven't hosted forums in a while), and who will administer the forums (we'd love to set this up, but not sure we can administer ourselves)...

DisabledVet
08-09-2007, 06:15 PM
You've got my support of course. Let me know how I can help.

danda
08-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Okay, I just added a military service field to the Online Rally upload and edit forms.

Instead of a simple yes/no checkbox like I first announced, I actually changed it to a dropdown that allows one to pick from any of the 5 military branches, and also if they are active or retired.

The form encourages them to upload photos in uniform.

Also, the mosaic popups now mention "I am actively serving in the U.S. Army" or "I have served in the U.S. Marines", when you hover the mouse over a person's photo.

Anyone that has already uploaded a photo (and left an email address) can edit their info to include the military branch.

I haven't yet updated the stats page or created a separate zip file. I will do that once some military entries have been recorded.

It would be great if you guys that are running or setting up separate sites can direct military supporters to upload or update their info at http://rally.ronpaulplanet.org

regards,

slantedview
08-09-2007, 07:37 PM
We can still use more content/community ideas (ideas so far are on the initial thread). Just throwing up a forum might be good, but it might end up unused...

Shink
08-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, perhaps some sort of recruitment section? (and I'm not talking about for the military...I could never screw someone over THAT bad) Recruitment would be for any current and prior military, as well as libertarians and Ron Paul supporters...we could scan Myspace, Facebook, etc. for people to use the site, organize methods for getting VFW-type groups involved with Ron Paul's campaign, etc.

Also, a section for articles relevant to both the campaign and military happenings. It would be a great way to foster discussion.

slantedview
08-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Well, perhaps some sort of recruitment section? (and I'm not talking about for the military...I could never screw someone over THAT bad) Recruitment would be for any current and prior military, as well as libertarians and Ron Paul supporters...we could scan Myspace, Facebook, etc. for people to use the site, organize methods for getting VFW-type groups involved with Ron Paul's campaign, etc.

Also, a section for articles relevant to both the campaign and military happenings. It would be a great way to foster discussion.
I like the idea of a recruitment section... I'm trying to envision exactly what it would include though...

Shink
08-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Recruitment could perhaps have some subsections. One could be an area that focuses on recruiting from the social networking sites (and perhaps the sites icons could be put on a page so you can just click and start digging), one that organizes/discusses real world operations.

Voila: Recruitment-->Real World-->Discussion (Meant for discussion of what attempts have been made, etc.)
Recruitment-->Real World-->Strategies (if you want to use jargon, you could say war plan)
Recruitment-->Internet--> (You get the idea)

"Real world" could have links at the top to veteran organizations at the top
"Internet" would have all the social networking sites linked at the top

None of that is me saying "it has to be exactly that way," just some ideas.