PDA

View Full Version : Mitt might be done

Razmear
08-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Every talking head is slamming Mitt for his comments about his sons proudly serving their country by driving around in a RV to get their dad elected instead of serving in the Iraq war.
I'm sure this is going to cost Mitt votes at Ames, and we need to be able to stress Ron's military service to scoop those votes up.
This might be his greatest flop to date.

eb

FreedomLover
08-09-2007, 04:16 PM
It would be pretty funny if after the millions of dollars in tv ads, radio ads, buses, townhall appareances, filet mignon, and a supporter of his being in charge of poll oversight, he couldn't even manage to get 1st place.

Probably won't happen, but imagine the hilarity.

Johnnybags
08-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Every talking head is slamming Mitt for his comments about his sons proudly serving their country by driving around in a RV to get their dad elected instead of serving in the Iraq war.
I'm sure this is going to cost Mitt votes at Ames, and we need to be able to stress Ron's military service to scoop those votes up.

eb

5 sons sitting out the so called war for our very existence. They are too busy floating around Nantucket and getting their teeth whitened. Are people really that dumb to vote for a hypocrite? Send their arses over there so I can feel safe, please. I will follow the first one.

freelance
08-09-2007, 04:19 PM
It's easily one of the most asinine statements I've heard since this morning when the President said that our economy was the ENVY OF THE WORLD! LOL

slantedview
08-09-2007, 04:19 PM
5 sons sitting out the so called war for our very existence. They are too busy floating around Nantucket and getting their teeth whitened. Are people really that dumb to vote for a hypocrite? Send their arses over there so I can feel safe, please. I will follow the first one.

Wow, 5? If I were him I would have just downplayed his sons altogether as opposed to making some statement that them serving on a campaign was an equal alternative to serving in the military... don't think so.

Johnnybags
08-09-2007, 04:21 PM
It's easily one of the most asinine statements I've heard since this morning when the President said that our economy was the ENVY OF THE WORLD! LOL

It truly "was" the best in the world til the chimp took over.

mtmedlin
08-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Any way we can get veterans or parents of soldiers for Ron Paul to stage a "No to Mitt" vigil with signs that say something to the extent "Only my son is good enough to die for America, Mitts sons are too busy getting him elected"

DeadheadForPaul
08-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Wow, 5? If I were him I would have just downplayed his sons altogether as opposed to making some statement that them serving on a campaign was an equal alternative to serving in the military... don't think so.

Just think, this is probably the only real work they've ever done

Ok that's not fair since I don't know anything about them. Still, what an irresponsible comment

slantedview
Quote from one of my favorite bloggers, Mike Shedlock:

"Bush trying to reassure the markets by telling everyone how strong the economy is a sure sign that he is worried about how weak it is. If the economy was strong, everyone would not need to communicate that fact on an almost daily basis."

ThePieSwindler
Got a link to the quote?

slantedview
08-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Any way we can get veterans or parents of soldiers for Ron Paul to stage a "No to Mitt" vigil with signs that say something to the extent "Only my son is good enough to die for America, Mitts sons are too busy getting him elected"
My brother (an Iraq vet and big Paul supporter) mentioned that he'd be open to any good ideas about how to leverage his service to support Paul. I think several of his fellow veteran friends would do the same..

slantedview
08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Got a link to the quote?
From one of Mr. Shedlock's posts today (towards the bottom):

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2007/08/prisoners-dilemma.html

Razmear
08-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Perhaps a handout or YouTube featuring:
RV's or HumVees?
showing Mitt's kids talking about how great the war while cruising around in a RV contrasted against a "real American soldier" driving a Humvee talking about the reality of war?

Handouts would be great for Ames, YouTube for the long run.

eb

Johnnybags
08-09-2007, 04:32 PM
is in order. Mitt Romney believes this war is a fight for our way of life, as our boys tours get extended and more of our heroes killed, his 5 boys are serving the country getting him elected so he can double the size of Guantanamo Bay and prosecute the same failed strategy as George Bush. Mitt Romney - is this real leadership?

Paid for by the committee to see constitutional government restored.

Razmear
08-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Second blog entry here:

http://fivebrothers.mittromney.com/

Damn they got it rough, that cow could kill someone.

edit, add text:

'm a little sad to be nearing the end of my tour of Iowa as I visited the 97th and 98th counties yesterday, although I must admit that I am excited both for the Iowa State Fair and the Ames Straw poll coming up. From what I hear you can get any sort of deep fried treat you'd like at the fair, I'm hoping for a Snickers. The life sized butter cow promises to be another highlight. As for Ames, I can't wait to see family and friends and work hard to get my dad a victory there.

Tagg and I visited Albert, the world's largest bull, in Audubon County.

njandrewg
08-09-2007, 04:34 PM
I think we'll soon start to see more attacks between Giulliani and Romney and Thompson when he declares

hard@work
08-09-2007, 04:36 PM
My brother (an Iraq vet and big Paul supporter) mentioned that he'd be open to any good ideas about how to leverage his service to support Paul. I think several of his fellow veteran friends would do the same..

Ron Paul needs men dressed in uniform at his side for photo ops. If the military on the ground supports Ron Paul then there is no argument that FOX news or CNNABNBCBS news can throw out there for "supporting the troops". What he is missing is a heavy military presence to show their support and nullify the neocon arguments completely.

Generals are NOT the troops. Powell and other power brokers supporting McCain is meaningless compared to the eyes and ears of the kids in the war. And so by default their voices are the most important voice in the military (in my opinion). If you can get these donators to sponsor him directly and publicly then things will change dramatically. I don't know if anyone is working on this, but that might help. Veteran groups are good of course but enlisted members fighting now would be great.

And maybe that's something a Vet group can help with. Imagine too if you could get a large group of vets to appear at a rally.

:)

LibertyEagle
08-09-2007, 04:39 PM

Pretty funny. Yup. Agreed. :D

jj111
08-09-2007, 04:41 PM

If there is not already a Veterans for Ron Paul meetup group, they could start one.

I've checked this site out

http://www.veteransforpaul.org/

but was disappointed in that I could not find on the site a membership list, a count of how many members they have, or even instructions as to how to join.

LibertyEagle
08-09-2007, 04:41 PM
I remember seeing coverage some time back where the "boys" were asked if they had served in the military. They hee hawed around and admitted NO, they had not. That footage would be invaluable as time goes on. I wish I would've saved that at the time.

Be sure and save this stuff somewhere, if you run into it.

Shink
08-09-2007, 04:44 PM

(said in regards to the economy)

Don't you mean "til the FEDERAL RESERVE took over?"

LibertyEagle
08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Ron Paul needs men dressed in uniform at his side for photo ops. If the military on the ground supports Ron Paul then there is no argument that FOX news or CNNABNBCBS news can throw out there for "supporting the troops". What he is missing is a heavy military presence to show their support and nullify the neocon arguments completely.

Generals are NOT the troops. Powell and other power brokers supporting McCain is meaningless compared to the eyes and ears of the kids in the war. And so by default their voices are the most important voice in the military (in my opinion). If you can get these donators to sponsor him directly and publicly then things will change dramatically. I don't know if anyone is working on this, but that might help. Veteran groups are good of course but enlisted members fighting now would be great.

And maybe that's something a Vet group can help with. Imagine too if you could get a large group of vets to appear at a rally.

:)

Help me out here, guys. I remember seeing Congressional hearings on C-SPAN where now ex-Generals were commenting negatively on the war. They were saying things like there were never any plans of what to do after the government was overthrown, etc.

If these guys happened to be Republicans, especially, they might be good to have as backers of Ron Paul.

Shink
08-09-2007, 04:45 PM

I'm a veteran, so is, duh, DisabledVet, and I'm sure there are others on this board. It'd be great to have a real collaborative effort to stand and yell "hey, FUCK YOU!" to anyone who deserves our scorn.

mtmedlin
08-09-2007, 04:45 PM

If he can get several of his friends to dress in Camo's (I know he cant do uniform, because it is a violation of the military code) with simple signs, I think it would be highly potent. Iowans are some hard core patriotic people and we need to get the message out that not all the military is pro war and that Ron Paul is pro military but anti Iraq. A military rally that is anti-Mitt (and his five sons) and pro Paul could get some nice coverage.

ronpaulitician
08-09-2007, 04:47 PM
How about all of the veterans supporting Paul upload a picture of themselves in uniform, and then we create a mosaic using one of Paul's military pics with those photos of uniformed Ron Paul supporters. It may take a while to do this right, as we'll need 2,000+ photos to make it work right (avoid duplicates).

slantedview
08-09-2007, 04:47 PM
If he can get several of his friends to dress in Camo's (I know he cant do uniform, because it is a violation of the military code) with simple signs, I think it would be highly potent. Iowans are some hard core patriotic people and we need to get the message out that not all the military is pro war and that Ron Paul is pro military but anti Iraq. A military rally that is anti-Mitt (and his five sons) and pro Paul could get some nice coverage.
I know that Iwoa is the critical location at the moment, but unfortunately he's located in Southern California.

slantedview
08-09-2007, 04:48 PM
How about all of the veterans supporting Paul upload a picture of themselves in uniform, and then we create a mosaic using one of Paul's military pics with those photos of uniformed Ron Paul supporters. It may take a while to do this right, as we'll need 2,000+ photos to make it work right (avoid duplicates).
I like this. His ideas so far have included doing photos, in uniform, holding Ron Paul signs or whatever.

mtmedlin
08-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I know that Iwoa is the critical location at the moment, but unfortunately he's located in Southern California.

California needs Ron Paul and it is a huge state for delegates. I really hop ehe is getting out the message because that state would probably benefit the MOST from a RP presidency.

Razmear
08-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Do you have a quality pic of RP in uniform? Preferably not the standard portrait, if so I'll crank out a mosaic using the current faces.
The message will be the same, even if the folks are not in uniform, and I can get it done in 30 minutes or so after getting the base image

eb

jj111
08-09-2007, 04:53 PM
We need a visible Veterans for Ron Paul group. I suggest a new Meetup group as the simplest to implement possibility, or a full fledged website for any one who is tech savvy enough to design such a site.

slantedview
08-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Do you have a quality pic of RP in uniform? Preferably not the standard portrait, if so I'll crank out a mosaic using the current faces.
The message will be the same, even if the folks are not in uniform, and I can get it done in 30 minutes or so after getting the base image

eb
I have a hunch the owner of dailypaul.com might be able to help with getting a photo such as this.

ronpaulitician
08-09-2007, 04:56 PM

eb
Not high quality, but this (http://www.ronpaulforcongress.com/assets/images/story_Ron-uniform.jpg) was the image I had in mind.

http://www.ronpaulforcongress.com/assets/images/story_Ron-uniform.jpg

slantedview
08-09-2007, 04:57 PM
We need a visible Veterans for Ron Paul group. I suggest a new Meetup group as the simplest to implement possibility, or a full fledged website for any one who is tech savvy enough to design such a site.
Let me see if anyone (the veterans/Paul supporters I know) is interested in doing this. I'd be open to any ideas on what sort of content to fill the site with... it's a shame that "veteransforpaul.org" already exists though.

Kuldebar
08-09-2007, 04:58 PM
How is it that of the 5 son's of Romney's, none of them are in the military service? Or, am I missing something?

Razmear
08-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Not high quality, but this (http://www.ronpaulforcongress.com/assets/images/story_Ron-uniform.jpg) was the image I had in mind.

I was hoping for a non-posed shot of him in uniform, preferably fatigues.

eb

ronpaulitician
08-09-2007, 05:01 PM

eb
We may have to ask the campaign for high quality photos of Ron Paul. Don't tell 'em what it's for (for legal reasons).

Kuldebar
08-09-2007, 05:02 PM

eb

You have to photoshop it! It's what all the mainstream candidates do these days!

Maybe use this image as a base:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/10/27/rambo_narrowweb__300x420,0.jpg

kern802
Let me see if anyone (the veterans/Paul supporters I know) is interested in doing this. I'd be open to any ideas on what sort of content to fill the site with... it's a shame that "veteransforpaul.org" already exists though.

If you all are serious it wouldn't hurt to open discussions with the site owner. Ron Paul supporters are generally pretty cool. :)

jj111

You can get veteransforronpaul.org or vets4ronpaul.org or veteransforronpaul.com or verteransforronpaul.us

If your site is popular enough, it will beat out the other URL.

Plus maybe you can negotiate with owner of that URL to the rights to the URL to you once you get a good site up and running.

Johnnybags
08-09-2007, 05:03 PM
How is it that of the 5 son's of Romney's, none of them are in the military service? Or, am I missing something?

Thats all your missing! Oh the hypocrisy, ya think one of them would have had the balls. You know when they run for governor or something it looks good on the resume. Iowans cannot be fooled, double Guantanamo Bay and increase the surge with your kids?

jj111
08-09-2007, 05:03 PM
You have to photoshop it! It's what all the mainstream candidates do these days!

Maybe use this image as a base:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/10/27/rambo_narrowweb__300x420,0.jpg

I would love to see that photo with Ron's face on it!

Shink
08-09-2007, 05:07 PM

*RAISES HAND!* Why don't we make a little section in the forums where us veterans send out pissed off, knowledgeable emails to important publications/news outlets/groups with the help, suggestions, and guidance of all the rest of you badasses? That keeps us all involved, and no doubt our voices could be a megaphone for others in here.

slantedview
08-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Ok, I just spoke with my brother (the great veteran) and he loves the idea and wants to setup a site ASAP (he happens to be a website designer and programmer now :) ). We'd like to solicit people's input for what sorts of content we should gather/make available through the site... I'll probably crate a separate post.

You can get veteransforronpaul.org or vets4ronpaul.org or veteransforronpaul.com or verteransforronpaul.us

If your site is popular enough, it will beat out the other URL.

Plus maybe you can negotiate with owner of that URL to the rights to the URL to you once you get a good site up and running.

If you all are serious it wouldn't hurt to open
discussions with the site owner. Ron Paul supporters are generally pretty cool. :)
Sounds good, I'll contact the owner :)

I just created a separate thread for veterans 4 paul (or whatever) info:

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=116841

ronpaulitician
08-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I asked Justine Lam for pics of Paul in uniform. Let's see what comes of it.

Hi Justine,

I won't/can't (legal) tell you what it's for, but do you think the campaign could make one or more high quality photos of Dr. Paul in uniform available to his supporters?

Preferably non-photo-op photos.

I realize that someone like Congressman Paul doesn't want to use his time in the military to further his political career, but... we've got a good idea that I think would not only honor Dr. Paul's service, but would honor the service of the men and women in our military in general.

jblosser
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Before you go too far yelling at Mitt's kids for not serving, I don't think any of Dr. Paul's kids have served either. Something to keep in mind.

Yooper Jo
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
You might want to check out the military for RP site that was posted in the general forum a couple days ago.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=10734
http://www.military4paul.com/

LibertyEagle
08-09-2007, 05:28 PM
You saw the one from this page, right?

http://www.ronpaulforcongress.com/

Also, if you haven't watched/listened to these ads, you might enjoy them.
http://www.ronpaulforcongress.com/html/radio.html

Ron Paul Fan
08-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Before you go too far yelling at Mitt's kids for not serving, I don't think any of Dr. Paul's kids have served either. Something to keep in mind.

Dr. Paul served though and he's not a warhawk like Romney is. I don't think it's as big a deal as some do that Romney's sons don't serve because it's not like he can force them to. It's an individual decision that his sons have made. I think the thing people are mad at is Romney comparing fighting in the Iraq war to helping with his campaign and if he could take back that comparision, I'm sure he would.

BuddyRey
08-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Don't forget to Digg the Mitt story!!!

http://www.digg.com/2008_us_elections/Romney_s_5_sons_fighting_here_so_they_don_t_fight_ there

Ninja Homer
I would love to see that photo with Ron's face on it!

You asked for it! Don't blame me.

http://kelsonmedia.com/ronpaul/ronbo.jpg

LibertyEagle
You might want to check out the military for RP site that was posted in the general forum a couple days ago.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=10734
http://www.military4paul.com/

There are only 3 sad little signatures on there. This needs to get beefed up and quickly.

Yooper Jo
08-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes, that's what I thought, too. I sent it to my kids. They will pass it on to all their friends as soon as they get a chance. Hope everyone else who knows any military people will spread the word, too. The site looks very nicely put together.

Jo

d'anconia
08-09-2007, 05:41 PM
This is great I'm gonna upload the video of the sons jacking around with Greta Van Susteren and title it "Romney Kids 'Serving' the Country" LOL

It was actually very funny, there was some flirting going on between the Romney kids and Greta.

nullvalu
08-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Nice! Might look better if you mirror the face tho

LibertyBelle
08-09-2007, 05:43 PM

eb

Saw it on the news with 3 of his sons....The Mitt Mobile. Batman!

What's next, a Mitt symbol to be transmitted into the night sky? A vision of hair to the rescue!

I surely hope this is a flop, and he loses tons of votes.

inibo
08-09-2007, 05:45 PM

Even though I joined the Air Force in 1971 (or was it 72?) to dodge the draft (there were a lot of us who did that), got out at the first opportunity once that threat had passed and mostly remember it as drag, when I think about it at all, that picture really makes me swell up with pride.

Original_Intent
08-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I don't know that we want to make TOO big a deal about Mitt's sons not serving, that plays right into Duncan Hunter's hands (he has made sure to point out in every debate that his son is on his second tour of duty in Iraq.)

Razmear
08-09-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't know that we want to make TOO big a deal about Mitt's sons not serving, that plays right into Duncan Hunter's hands (he has made sure to point out in every debate that his son is on his second tour of duty in Iraq.)

I'd focus more on the hypocrisies than the son's non-service.
We might not even need to act on this, I think the other candidates are going to shred him for us. I'm sure Hunter is chomping at the bit over this one.

eb

d'anconia
08-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Wooot! Vid of Romney sons fighting for our freedoms by RVing across Iowa!

God bless you boys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vOZtwM021k

Kuldebar
08-09-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't fault any parent for not encouraging their children to join the military service. But, for such a staunch anti-jihadist warrior like Romney, I imagined he'd have convinced all his son's to join the war effort...

Shink
08-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Wooot! Vid of Romney sons fighting for our freedoms by RVing across Iowa!

God bless you boys!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vOZtwM021k

I almost pissed myself when I saw your tags, Kylan!

"romney kids sons serve iowa rv greta susteren country joke fake snake oil salesman tan white teeth mormon polygamy gay"

Omnis
08-09-2007, 06:09 PM
I hope this along with that .pdf file of the Latter Day Saint bashing Zitt Romney will put that snake in his place.

Kuldebar
08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Made my comments on the video, funny how they brought up Mitt's "sacrifice" of time and energy to campaign. o.O

Razmear
08-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Seeing how we can't comment on the 5 bro's blog cuz its moderated. Who wants to Digg this:
http://fivebrothers.mittromney.com/blog/comments/198
So we can comment there?
Please give it your best write up when you dig it, I mean that cow is really dangerous, and they just completed their 'tour of Iowa' unlike the others who have to do Tours of Iraq.
I can feel my wit waneing, so I'll let someone else have the honor.

eb

nullvalu
08-09-2007, 06:36 PM
OMG those teeth temporarily blinded me! Sheesh!!

V-rod
08-09-2007, 06:56 PM

eb

Don't downplay Mitt's service. He was fighting overseas, battling for the souls of the French people for 30 months!

aravoth
08-09-2007, 07:00 PM

I'm a veteran of the active duty army, I'm all for this. Let me just give my 2 cents about dear old mitt. He's a coward, willing to send a guy like me out to die for this bullshit, while he tells us that his sons serve their country best by driving a god damn RV. Like those pieces of shit have any more to lose than I do. No offense here to anyone that hasn't served, but that is the most assinine thing I have ever heard a politician say. What a crock of shit.

Sean
08-09-2007, 07:17 PM
If Mitt really believes that we are in a war for our lives he would be embarrassed that his sons haven't joined the military. We hear that Iraq was as great a danger as Nazi Germany was. Did FDR's sons ride bikes around Iowa during war? We have national guard units being deployed and people are having their enlistments extended. A war time leader that believes in this war would have his family fighting on the front lines. I must say this I respect Duncan Hunter more than the Romneys. Hunter may be wrong about Iraq but they are willing to risk their lives. Mitt I believe supports it because it was a popular Republican position.

Richandler
08-09-2007, 07:25 PM
He's not done. He's been taken heat for everything lately but that doesn't seem to be affecting his "ratings."

d991
08-09-2007, 07:32 PM
One of my favourite scenes in one of Michael Moore's movies was when he went up to congressmen who supported the war in Iraq and then tried to get them to sign their sons up for the military. Whether you hate Moore's guts or not, you have to appreciate him making the chickenhawks look rediculous.

avaroth is exactly right - politicians are willing to go to war for bullshit reasons and with no consequences for their actions. I hate anyone who says they don't join the military because they need to "serve the political battle at home" or some shit like that.

Ron Paul Fan
08-09-2007, 07:42 PM
He's not done. He's been taken heat for everything lately but that doesn't seem to be affecting his "ratings."

I agree that he's far from done as he'll still probably win the straw poll this Saturday. And I disagree that his sons' decisions not to join the military should be looked upon as a negative for Mitt Romney. What's he supposed to do, force them to join at gunpoint? It's their decision and Romney should respect that and support them no matter what they decide. I did have a problem with him comparing serving in Iraq to helping his campaign though and I think that's why all the talking heads in the media were bashing him.

Sean
08-09-2007, 08:01 PM
http://www.headzup.tv/wuhzup/2007/08/headzup-romney-and-sons/

This is pretty funny.

Kuldebar
08-09-2007, 08:07 PM
And I disagree that his sons' decisions not to join the military should be looked upon as a negative for Mitt Romney. What's he supposed to do, force them to join at gunpoint?

Force, no. But, if he is so passionate about the war and he hasn't even persuaded his own son's to sign up, it's quite natural to wonder: what's going on here? Obviously, Romney didn't instill in his sons a strong desire to serve in our nation's military.

Giuliani's daughter isn't supporting his candidacy, so we are also within our rights to draw our own conclusions about that as well.

It's all about family values, after all, right?

fletcher
08-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I hate mitt as much as the next guy, but his sons can do whatever they want. You can't join the military until you are an adult, and parents shouldn't be making the decisions of their adult children.

Kuldebar
08-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I hate mitt as much as the next guy, but his sons can do whatever they want. You can't join the military until you are an adult, and parents shouldn't be making the decisions of their adult children.

That's not the dispute. But, children do normally share the broader values of their parents.

Ron Paul Fan
08-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Force, no. But, if he is so passionate about the war and he hasn't even persuaded his own son's to sign up, it's quite natural to wonder: what's going on here? Obviously, Romney didn't instill in his sons a strong desire to serve in our nation's military.

Giuliani's daughter isn't supporting his candidacy, so we are also within our rights to draw our own conclusions about that as well.

It's all about family values, after all, right?

He can persuade all he wants, but if they choose not to go then he should support that. Not signing up for the military doesn't mean you don't have good family values, at least I hope not. Do his sons even support their Dad's pro Iraq war stance or are they supporting him because he's their Dad? I don't agree with my Dad on everything, but if he ran for a public office I would definitely support him.

rp4prez
08-09-2007, 08:19 PM

eb

he's not done because the MSM will never report on this so no one will ever know.

Kuldebar
08-09-2007, 08:20 PM
He can persuade all he wants, but if they choose not to go then he should support that. Not signing up for the military doesn't mean you don't have good family values, at least I hope not. Do his sons even support their Dad's pro Iraq war stance or are they supporting him because he's their Dad? I don't agree with my Dad on everything, but if he ran for a public office I would definitely support him.

Those are great questions, is Mitt being asked these questions? Are his sons being asked why they chose not joined the military?

The issue is the seeming hypocrisy.

If Mitt feels so strongly about the global war on terror you would think he would be sensitive enough to notice this glaring issue of appearance.

What is Mitt's service record like?

Is it possible that he is only a recent strong advocate for military actions?

Could he perhaps be a hypocrite?

Kuldebar
08-09-2007, 08:22 PM

OMG that's awful! :eek:

ronpaulitician
08-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Why the heck did Romney not have a proper answer prepared for this question?

"Why don't my sons serve? You'll have to ask them. They're individuals, responsible for their own decisions."

Done.

Kuldebar
08-09-2007, 08:36 PM

"Why don't my sons serve? You'll have to ask them. They're individuals, responsible for their own decisions."

Done.

Exactly.

Ron Paul Fan
08-09-2007, 08:39 PM

Done.

You apparently didn't read my first response to this because I was upset that he compared going to fight in Iraq to work on his campaign. He was basically saying that it was their decision, but then went into that horrible comparison. If he would have stopped before saying that last part it would have been fine with me. Read before you respond.

ronpaulitician
08-09-2007, 08:43 PM
You apparently didn't read my first response to this because I was upset that he compared going to fight in Iraq to work on his campaign. He was basically saying that it was their decision, but then went into that horrible comparison. If he would have stopped before saying that last part it would have been fine with me. Read before you respond.
I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Seer
08-09-2007, 08:53 PM
The issue isn't that they aren't serving. The issue is that he said that working for his campaign is equivalent service to fighting in Iraq.

Sean
08-09-2007, 08:58 PM

How would FDR respond if asked why his sons were biking around Iowa during WWII? If Romney really thought that Iraq was the equivalent danger as Nazi Germany he would be embarrassed of his sons choices. He would not want them on the campaign trail with him. I do think the family of the leader of the country in a time of war should be volunteering to serve in the military. If they don't that leader should make it known he disapproves of their decision. With leadership comes great responsibility.

angelatc
08-09-2007, 09:07 PM

Ron Paul Fan
08-09-2007, 09:13 PM
How would FDR respond if asked why his sons were biking around Iowa during WWII? If Romney really thought that Iraq was the equivalent danger as Nazi Germany he would be embarrassed of his sons choices. He would not want them on the campaign trail with him. I do think the family of the leader of the country in a time of war should be volunteering to serve in the military. If they don't that leader should make it known he disapproves of their decision. With leadership comes great responsibility.

Strongly disagree. The family of the leader of the country can do whatever they want and shouldn't be forced to join the military just because their father is the leader of the country during a time of war. I don't know why you brought FDR into the discussion because he has nothing to do with this, but since you're bringing in other people, why didn't Ron Paul's children join the military to fight in the War in Afghanistan which he voted for? With leadership comes great responsibility.

Seer
08-09-2007, 09:16 PM
The FDR comparison doesn't matter anyway cus he would've forced his kids in with the draft.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-09-2007, 09:21 PM
A friend just called and told me that Jon Stewart just made fun of the Romney Boys' "service to their nation." One of the boys went on a Baton Bike Ride and got CHAFFED!

Anyone capture this? I didn't actually see it, just heard about it.

Sematary
08-09-2007, 09:26 PM

It was better but it was still screwed.

Suzu
08-09-2007, 09:30 PM
If there is not already a Veterans for Ron Paul meetup group, they could start one.

I've checked this site out

http://www.veteransforpaul.org/

but was disappointed in that I could not find on the site a membership list, a count of how many members they have, or even instructions as to how to join.

Send an email.

Sean
08-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Strongly disagree. The family of the leader of the country can do whatever they want and shouldn't be forced to join the military just because their father is the leader of the country during a time of war. I don't know why you brought FDR into the discussion because he has nothing to do with this, but since you're bringing in other people, why didn't Ron Paul's children join the military to fight in the War in Afghanistan which he voted for? With leadership comes great responsibility.

Because I am making a point. Many people like Romney compared Iraq's threat to us like it was WWII. If they really thought that the danger was that grave they would be volunteering in droves to defend our country. I think Romney's support for the war is just a political ploy. I agree with you no one should be forced to enlist, but if the country was truly in danger the Presidents family should and it would be an embarrassment if they didn't. I believe if our country was in danger like a WWII you would find Paul's family in the military.

angelatc
08-10-2007, 12:33 PM
http://www.perrspectives.com/blog/archives/000709.htm

http://www.perrspectives.com/images/Running_Romneys.jpg

CodeMonkey
08-10-2007, 12:39 PM

I don't think anyone wants to force them to join, but the point is that if he so strongly believes in this cause, he would encourage his sons to join. If his sons so strongly believe in the cause, then they should join.

So either they are not willing to fight for something they strongly believe in, or they don't believe in it as strongly as they claim.

Win_Witka
10-22-2007, 09:45 AM
His sons can support their father and still enlist for our nations military. They do not have to stay at home to help in the campaigning for Romney.

zebov
10-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Woah, this is an old topic being reborn ;)

aksmith
10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Woah, this is an old topic being reborn ;)

It's interesting. I met one of Romney's sons this weekend and he's an impressive kid. I tried to picture him with a rifle and combat gear and . . . . well, we can only hope.

He has his sons fanning out all over the country, wooing Republican regulars. They are all well spoken and "gee, he's just a great dad, so energetic and caring", and then I pull up that youtube of Mitt telling that poor kid with MS that he's going to arrest him and his doctor if he uses medical marijuana and I think . . . F those all-American robots he spawned and F his smarmy happy talk while the country goes down the drain. And F anyone who would support such a mechanical, ambitious a$$hole.