PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Should Ballots be Printed in Spanish?

DDMX
02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes/No?

My Opinion - if we want people to come here, THEY need to learn English. WE shouldn't have to learn SPANISH (I'm sick of seeing flyers in Spanish at restaraunts - this is AMERICA, People)

heath.whiteaker
02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't think the government should make special ballots for people..... However I feel that as a small business you would be stupid not to offer a menu in spanish or whatever language is popular in your area. Again this is America and we all came here from different nations. That's what makes us so great.

Tdcci
02-07-2008, 10:41 PM
My Opinion - if we want people to come here, THEY need to learn English.

That's already required of people who want to immigrate legally, it is the illegal aliens who need everything in Spanish. This is why amnesty is a bad idea.

dsentell
02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
It is one thing to have menus in other languages -- after all, we do (or did) have travelers coming to this country.

But to have have documents pertaining to our legal system in other languages is an outrage. If a person can vote in America, he/she can learn the language.

DDMX
02-07-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't think the government should make special ballots for people..... However I feel that as a small business you would be stupid not to offer a menu in spanish or whatever language is popular in your area. Again this is America and we all came here from different nations. That's what makes us so great.

I agree with that. I understand that is takes time to learn other languages, and that even once you do, you may not speak it fluently. I think it is fine for restaurants to print menus in other languages.

The government just needs to do whatever they can to encourage English.

driller80545
02-07-2008, 11:23 PM
What is the matter with other languages. The more culture that you study, the better you understand human nature. I don't care how many languages are on a ballot as long as I can understand one of them.

amy31416
02-07-2008, 11:36 PM
While I think it would be a very good thing for every American to know the rudimentaries of at least one other language, I would never impose it. We speak English, sometimes not so well, it's our way....

DDMX
02-07-2008, 11:39 PM
America is a place for many cultures to come together.

For them together, however, they need to be able to communicate.

A common language encourages trade, etc...

Bradley in DC
02-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Whatever each locality decides--just get the Feds out of it!