PDA

View Full Version : Let's Set the Record Straight on This Brokered Convention Business...

Leroy_Jenkems
02-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Let's get reality in check here. I've seen lots of posts about how everything's going according to plan, our strategy is to stay "under the radar" 'til a brokered RNC convention...

As posted on dailypaul.com by user lynx95 on 1/28/08:

"Republican National Committee Rule 40 (b) Nominations:

http://www.gop.com/About/...

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination.

Ron Paul must win at least the majority of delegates in 5 States or Territories to have his name placed in nomination at the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis in early September.

On May 20th, Kentucky and Oregon, the 45th and 46th States to do so, will hold their primaries. If Ron Paul has not one [sic] a primary or caucus by the end of this day then his Campaign for the Republican Nomination is over.

We must win five (5) primaries and or caucus's before the end of the primaries on June 3rd or Ron Paul will be shut out of the Convention.

The clock is ticking, Donate, become a Precinct Captain and walk your precinct for our Leader Now!!!"

Also, Romney has SUSPENDED his campaign, not discontinued. Therefore, his delegates are suspended as well...we can't recruit them, at least not at the moment.

So how are we going to make it to the brokered convention given the results from all past primaries & caucuses???

mahopaul
02-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Troll!

luvthedoc08
02-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Troll!
this needs serious discussion

affa
02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
it's been discussed about 1000 times already.

mahopaul
02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
this needs serious discussion

Damn straight, we don't need all these truthers in here trying to talk sense.

davidt!
02-07-2008, 08:05 PM
it's been discussed about 1000 times already.

So then what was the consensus?

JordanQ72
I've heard people say it doesn't apply, without adequate explanation. Personally, I believe it applies.

AlexMerced
Let's get reality in check here. I've seen lots of posts about how everything's going according to plan, our strategy is to stay "under the radar" 'til a brokered RNC convention...

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination.

Ron Paul must win at least the majority of delegates in 5 States or Territories to have his name placed in nomination at the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis in early September.

On May 20th, Kentucky and Oregon, the 45th and 46th States to do so, will hold their primaries. If Ron Paul has not one [sic] a primary or caucus by the end of this day then his Campaign for the Republican Nomination is over.

We must win five (5) primaries and or caucus's before the end of the primaries on June 3rd or Ron Paul will be shut out of the Convention.

The clock is ticking, Donate, become a Precinct Captain and walk your precinct for our Leader Now!!!"

Also, Romney has SUSPENDED his campaign, not discontinued. Therefore, his delegates are suspended as well...we can't recruit them, at least not at the moment.

So how are we going to make it to the brokered convention given the results from all past primaries & caucuses???

this is prety simple

our major competition in all the caucus states was romney, with his campaign suspended, when the actual delegates get decided at those state conventions it's possible we win all those states officially
(currently all caucus delegates are estimates, these state arn't truly won till the state conventions. So most of ROmneys delegates arn't even won yet)

the actually individuals who are those delegates might drop out, and we will fill them in with our people in places like michigan. They'll still be bound to romney, but in a brokered convention can vote for paul.

Huckabee adn Paul will both see boosts after this, hopefully Huckabee wins the reamining primary states, and Paul the reamining caucus states.

Electrostatic
02-07-2008, 08:11 PM
So then what was the consensus?

Even if we don't win the nom, a brokered convention is much Much MUCH better than a non-brokered one. It will give a chance for Ron to address the country at the convention and will force the party to admit that they have Serious internal issues and need to clean house.

Also, we would be able to use all the time between the last primary and the convention to try to make the McCain supporters realize how bad the eff'd up... (A recent non-scientific survey found that over 90% of McCains supporters to not follow his platform and just didn't bother to read it before they voted.. I couldn't make this up. It's too unbelievable)

And also, this is not about Ron Paul. This is about us and our children and the future of mankind. Everyone told us when we started this thing that we "had no chance, not at all, not one little bit". I for one am ready to go from no-chance to runner-up in a single short year. If we can do that much in 12 months people will have to take notice.

Chris

Zeeder
02-07-2008, 08:16 PM
The rule doesn't say anything about winning the states. It simply says he must have a majority of delegates from 5 states nominated him. It's pretty clear, and I'd hate to think that those that wan Ron Paul to run independently are purposely saying we can't possibly win this way.

Frankly, I'm will to go even farther and say that if Mcain wins the majority of delegates and we have enought delegates, we can suspend the rules.

The chances are still slim, but a brokered convention(or even one with paul delegates a majority in 5 states) anything can happen. Abraham Lincoln did it.

Of course we'd actually have to sign up as delegates for that, but some have already given up on the second half of the United states that hasn't even voted yet.

Leroy_Jenkems
02-07-2008, 08:19 PM
this is prety simple

our major competition in all the caucus states was romney, with his campaign suspended, when the actual delegates get decided at those state conventions it's possible we win all those states officially
(currently all caucus delegates are estimates, these state arn't truly won till the state conventions. So most of ROmneys delegates arn't even won yet)

the actually individuals who are those delegates might drop out, and we will fill them in with our people in places like michigan. They'll still be bound to romney, but in a brokered convention can vote for paul.

Huckabee adn Paul will both see boosts after this, hopefully Huckabee wins the reamining primary states, and Paul the reamining caucus states.

That answers it about 75% of the way...but doesn't Dr. Paul have to win the majority of delegates in at least 5 states?

Leroy_Jenkems
02-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Troll!

Hmmfh, well I have 145 posts to your 101, so who's the troll?! :D

I assume you're kidding. I'm not a troll, just asking a legitimate question, in my estimation.

GoldStan
02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Yes, Ron would have to win a majority in 5 states. Right now he has 14 delegates. You do the odds.

Crickett
02-07-2008, 09:28 PM
That answers it about 75% of the way...but doesn't Dr. Paul have to win the majority of delegates in at least 5 states?

He got the majority in maine, and probably LA. He is doing fine.

GoldStan
02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
He got the majority in maine, and probably LA. He is doing fine.

Amend that to possibly/probably LA and leave out Maine and that would actually be a true statement:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/delegate_counts.html

Romney took all 18 delegates in Maine.

0 of 18 = not a majority (even using New Math).

Leroy_Jenkems
02-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Amend that to possibly/probably LA and leave out Maine and that would actually be a true statement:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/delegate_counts.html

Romney took all 18 delegates in Maine.

0 of 18 = not a majority (even using New Math).

Yeah, plus the final outcome of LA is in question...

Naraku
02-11-2008, 08:46 PM

Some one is confused. We don't have to win any votes, we have to be supported by a majority of delegates. Hell, does this even mean they have to vote for him or that they simply support him being nominated? That's actually something I'm more curious about, it doesn't make things very clear.

BlueCalico
02-22-2008, 11:22 PM
THE CONVENTION DOES NOT HAVE TO BE BROKERED! We can overturn Republican Rules at the State Conventions - Google: [your state] Republican Convention, then get on ronpaul2008.com, States and find the info for your state and get involved.