PDA

View Full Version : Should Ron get a speech coach?

zbus12
02-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I just got done watching the CPAC speech and wondered if people felt if Ron should or not. What say you?

Redcard
02-07-2008, 07:57 PM
All the great speakers had great coaches.

ALL of them.

EVER.

Enzo
02-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Ron Paul is not a great speaker.. He's a man of action.

zbus12
02-07-2008, 08:48 PM
bumpo

amy31416
02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
He is amazing once you are open to the message, remove the blocks and he is who he is, an imperfect being with a message that resonates. And that is partially due to his imperfections.

TurtleBurger
02-07-2008, 08:53 PM
If speaking ability mattered then Pat Buchanan would have beat Bob Dole and Alan Keyes would have trounced George W Bush.

BuddyRey
02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I love Dr. Paul's delivery, personality, and speaking style so much that I don't think it could be much better (for me personally). Having said that, most people need to be stroked with strongly-voiced cliches and stale homilies. It's not that Ron aul's speaking style is lacking, just that what he says goes over the heads of 40-60% of the people who hear it.

zbus12
02-07-2008, 09:05 PM
what say you?

Teenforpaul08
02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Ron Paul needs it badly...

DDMX
02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Good speaking qualities help you connect with voters.

Yes!

chewbacca
02-07-2008, 09:13 PM
This should be a TOP TOP priority. He should also hire a writer.

Sandra
02-07-2008, 09:13 PM
No, he does not need a speaking coach. That would be ear candy. (ugh)

Zolah
02-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I voted no but don't mind, he's had a lot of practice at talking, about 71 years I guess

stewie3128
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
We need to raise a lot more money before he can start worrying about that stuff.

thoughtbombing
02-07-2008, 09:18 PM
If speaking ability mattered then Pat Buchanan would have beat Bob Dole and Alan Keyes would have trounced George W Bush.

Buchanan did beat Dole. I recommend that you google "a house without doors" and read the document of vote fraud in Iowa. It's downright amazing how they screwed him and got us a Clinton.

thoughtbombing
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM

Ron Paul is a best selling author.

Enzo
02-07-2008, 09:20 PM

Exactly!..... Alan Keyes is bat shit crazy... but he is one hell of a public speaker.

BFranklin
02-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I think he is natural which is part of his charm....thats why he comes off very honest and trustworthy. Everyone else is to polished and seems like they are selling something all the time. Paul speaks from the heart.

scooter
02-07-2008, 09:22 PM

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen a Ron Paul supporter say. Have you ready any of the speeches that he's written? I suggest the one linked below if you need to determine whether or not he's a great speech writer.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul433.html

Maybe he fumbles every once in a while on delivery, but the words are amazing. If the people need a Huckabee style speaker who throws out one-liners and zingers, then they'll have to get someone else.

The smart people choose good content... and that is what Ron Paul has.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
02-07-2008, 09:24 PM
nt

Bold As Love
02-07-2008, 09:29 PM
IMHO, Dr. Paul is an excellent speaker. I personally find his style the most suitable.

Deborah K
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
NO he shouldn't. He's not polished, he is a man of substance not style, he reminds me of John Quincy Adams - not Presidential looking or acting. I'll take substance over style any day of the week.

zbus12
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM

I don't think he should hire a speech writer because I think he writes damn good. I do think that if he had a speech coach he could integrate his newly learned speech pointers with his superb speech writing skills. Then he would blow the heads off of America for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David_Huxley007
02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
he shouldn't prepare speeches
he's too sincere to prepare speeches...he's alot better going free style
i think people in his campaign should leave him as he is and not try to put make up on him
he's sincere that's why we like him!!

zbus12
02-07-2008, 09:39 PM
NO he shouldn't. He's not polished, he is a man of substance not style, he reminds me of John Quincy Adams - not Presidential looking or acting. I'll take substance over style any day of the week.

we will yes, any day. But does the rest of America? and do they understand him as we all do? It's sad, but this is the day we live in where people support douchebags like Osamabama 90% because of their speaking abilities. Just imagine if Ron Paul's message was heard with the speaking of Reagan. Ron would slice and dice em all!!!

Wingman
02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
a speech coach will help

there's nothing personally wrong with how ron paul is speaking

but he needs to change his speech to make it easier for him ti reach out to more voters and make his message come true. this is the difference between a congressman and a president. he has to makje the commitment and make it FAST.

RonRules
02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Ron Paul has an endearing way to speak and I would not want a coach to affect that.

He definitely needs a speech writer though. The speech need not be text that is read, but rather the right bullet points.

I'm thinking of starting a WiKi web site for the purpose of collectively writing Ron Paul speeches.

Any takers?

robert4rp08
02-07-2008, 10:24 PM
No way. He's a great speaker because he talks from the heart instead of memorizing a script and how to deliver it. GENUINE!

homah
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
I think he could use a few people to bounce ideas off of and get his bullet points cleaned up before speaking. I don't, however, believe that he should have a speech writer.

Shaun
02-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Too late. I have been calling for this for months.
MADNESS not to have put his image together. This campaign has been COCKED UP from November onwards, not only his speaking, but for God's sake...HE DOESN'T HAVE A SPEECH WRITER!!
You read that right! I mean today at CPAC, he's going good, good, good and then he has to start PISSING THE CONSERVATIVES OFF AGAIN by talking about 9/11 and the overseas bases.
I live and work in Hollywooda and I run an entertainment company with 2,000,000 customers in 27 countries, I can tell anyone that cares that RP would have a MUCH, MUCH stronger shot at this deal if he had, months ago, when first requested, brought professional and top notch AD and PR guys.
Too late now. I'm sick about it. But we move on..

jaminunit
02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
His Message is fantastic you cant get better, the way he debates the message is unbeatable but his speeches could be a little better.

and some NLP coaching I know the clintons use it big time.

I really like what they did with the Obama speech. very effective
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHEO_fG3mm4

drdamwi
02-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Dr Paul speaks from the heart, speaks humbly, and speaks the truth, even to those who do not want to hear or believe it. He is a man of integrity, not some polished Hollywood image of what a coach believes to be "presidential."

As for a speech coach, it is so obvious that Hillary has been coached away from her former harpy screaming delivery of speeches, but unfortunately they replaced it with this saccharine, sappy singsong that is even worse when she tries to sound compassionate or caring. And Romney is just as phoney and his image has been tweaked by consultants as well. Obama "strategically" went from open collar shirts in farm towns in Iowa to buttoned up oxfords with ties in New Hampshire, undoubtedly due to an image consultant.

Give me an honest guy like Ron Paul, who may stutter or stammer his way through a speech from time to time, because at least he speaks what he believes, not what some consultant told him would win points with some particular segment of the public. The other candidates just care about their rating on the magic Luntz-o-meter, Ron Paul cares about America and our future.

PrayToday
02-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Too late. I have been calling for this for months.
MADNESS not to have put his image together. This campaign has been COCKED UP from November onwards, not only his speaking, but for God's sake...HE DOESN'T HAVE A SPEECH WRITER!!
You read that right! I mean today at CPAC, he's going good, good, good and then he has to start PISSING THE CONSERVATIVES OFF AGAIN by talking about 9/11 and the overseas bases.
I live and work in Hollywooda and I run an entertainment company with 2,000,000 customers in 27 countries, I can tell anyone that cares that RP would have a MUCH, MUCH stronger shot at this deal if he had, months ago, when first requested, brought professional and top notch AD and PR guys.
Too late now. I'm sick about it. But we move on..

Perzactly. The notion that any polish on the image is selling out works great for the twenty-something garage band dude. Suits him well. "Self-righteous sneer and this badass axe is all I need, man." You want to get a message, any message, out to millions of people, especially when most of them have been brainwashed from birth specifically to not understand what the hell you're talking about? Polish it up, brutha. Make smooth and easy. Sell out, if that's what you want to call it. Otherwise be content in your ideological purity while you watch the other fool get sworn in.

jaminunit
02-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Perzactly. The notion that any polish on the image is selling out works great for the twenty-something garage band dude. Suits him well. "Self-righteous sneer and this badass axe is all I need, man." You want to get a message, any message, out to millions of people, especially when most of them have been brainwashed from birth to not understand what the hell you're talking about? Polish it up, brutha. Make smooth and easy. Sell out, if that's what you want to call it. Otherwise be content in your ideological purity while you watch the other fool get sworn in.

Yeah I agree!
Like I said the message is fantastic,
the debates cant get better as ron paul wins them all but
the speeches need to be a bit more polished. (just a bit.)

and we need more celebrities!

Shaun
02-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Dr Paul speaks from the heart, speaks humbly, and speaks the truth, even to those who do not want to hear or believe it. He is a man of integrity, not some polished Hollywood image of what a coach believes to be "presidential."

As for a speech coach, it is so obvious that Hillary has been coached away from her former harpy screaming delivery of speeches, but unfortunately they replaced it with this saccharine, sappy singsong that is even worse when she tries to sound compassionate or caring. And Romney is just as phoney and his image has been tweaked by consultants as well. Obama "strategically" went from open collar shirts in farm towns in Iowa to buttoned up oxfords with ties in New Hampshire, undoubtedly due to an image consultant.

Give me an honest guy like Ron Paul, who may stutter or stammer his way through a speech from time to time, because at least he speaks what he believes, not what some consultant told him would win points with some particular segment of the public. The other candidates just care about their rating on the magic Luntz-o-meter, Ron Paul cares about America and our future.

Oh yeah, let's not give a toss about actually WINNING anything. Let's just be the good guys. Hey, I'll give you a clue..! Politics is about WINNING because it's only when you win that you get anything done, all this " I'd rather he was authentic " bullshit is why we come off as a bunch of fanatics and why our hero and champ has spent 40 Million Dollars for about 16 delegates. And why is that? I'll tell you..
THIS IS AMERICA BABY! The land of Sillicon boobs and Designer suits, cars and babies...IMAGE is everything. That's if you want to win. And we didn't win and we won't win. We have UNDER Perfomed all the way around. And I say "We" because it's just as much my responsibility as the next guy. What did I do? What did I really do? Not much and not enough, not with my experience in this arena. I'm not 23 I'm 43 and in business and marketing those twenty years are a lifetime of experience.
We ran a campaign that would go down really well in ANYWHERE apart from America.
Ukraine? Yes, Ireland? Yes. USA; Without the image guys, the PR guys, the Media guys and the SPEECH WRITING GUYS ( God help us but every speech he has given has been off the cuff) you can't win in America.

Oh, and Hillary? Yeah well sure she's phony but she has a 50/50 shot at being President. RP has zero shot at it. Speech coaching is obviously only one part of this equation and all you under 30 fanatic cult followers of RP are going to go crazy but again...get this into your heads...IN POLITICS JOB NUMBER ONE IS TO WIN! and the problem with the RP philosophy is that there is no compromise...and today those narrow niches are closed. It's the reason McCBombiran may just be the next president.
Oh well..

Shaun
02-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh and by the way, there will be NO more debates. Forget that. If there is it will only be Huckster and McBomb.
Our man is done. They won't let him in. There is no point from their standpoint.
RP is not a force in anywhere apart from Montana, Nevada and Lousiana. Doesn't impact their viewing numbers so they dont' give a toss.

rexsolomon
02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Haven't you learned from being in this forum that they don't listen? This suggestion is very old. One of several thousand suggestions. Way to late now, sadly.

dawnbt
02-08-2008, 09:31 AM
I have placed this suggestion twice in the Campaign suggestion forum. His words are true, but needs to be dumbed down for the masses.

miketwalker
02-08-2008, 10:49 AM
He is a great person to talk about the speeches... but one of the main reasons we love him is for his imperfections and the fact he'll admit them and say he shouldn't judge others in the areas he doesn't know. At the same time, because of that, it would never hurt to have an advisor impove one of the deficiencies that kicks in when he talks to mainstream. I think he has a very interesting way of speaking, and I like it. I don't want that to be changed, but it definitely is great seeing him lately rewording and reapproaching some things (such as becoming more on the offense with McCain yesterday) and I wouldn't mind them having someone who specifically works with him just on that.

Mordan
02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
yes he needs one to further his message and body language