PDA

View Full Version : Famous Quotes of the Founding Fathers

lx43
02-07-2008, 07:47 PM
http://www.marksquotes.com/Founding-Fathers/

Some of my favorite

Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.

Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 1, December 19, 1776

Not all the treasures of the world, so far as I believe, could have induced me to support an offensive war, for I think it murder; but if a thief breaks into my house, burns and destroys my property, and kills or threatens to kill me, or those that are in it, and to "bind me in all cases whatsoever" to his absolute will, am I to suffer it?

Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

'Tis our true policy to steer clear of permanent Alliances, with any portion of the foreign world.

George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796

A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

Does this quote remind you of anything?

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.

George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796
George Washington, letter to Benjamin Harrison, October 10, 1784

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.

Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766

lx43
02-07-2008, 07:51 PM
lol I want to add this one.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Ben Franklin (submitted by a visitor)