PDA

View Full Version : Should Linux users vote for Ron Paul?

mkeller
02-07-2008, 07:44 PM
The answer, of course, is yes. The same answer as for everyone. :) But that was just to get your attention. What I'm really here to tell you is:

I have created a website - www.tux4paul.org - to tell them why. So far, all it's got is a sidebar and a logo. The main thing it's lacking is a great, convincing article, right there in the middle. Currently, at least, I'm rather drained of ideas. So, if any of you out there feel like putting it into words - DO!!! And you'll be credited, even. :D

The only criteria is that it explain to Linux users (you can include other open-OS users too, if you want) why Ron Paul is the candidate for them, and point out the similarities between the Free Software movement, and the Ron Paul Revolution! And that it needs to be about as long as the sidebar.

Extra bonuses would include giving the general good-for-everyone reasons to vote Ron Paul, as well as really getting the message across that he hasn't dropped out. And you can annotate it with useful links, too, for even more extra credit (this (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6224161.html) one is great).

Now let's hope that didn't scare everyone away . . . :)

Philmanoman
02-07-2008, 07:55 PM
these are not my words...I copied it.

The Fed DOES cause the business cycle. Think about it. Free market economics postulates that prices will naturally rise and fall according to supply and demand. Interest rates are just a barometer of the market's demand for cash. When you start regulating it from the supply end, and think that you can pre-empt the market and thereby control it, you are setting yourself up for disaster. You will either always lag behind the market's demand for cash, thus artifically constricting the money supply and creating a depression, or you will overanticipate; and thus create a boom that is destined to implode. You're messing with a very testy ecosystem, and controlling things from the top in such a manner is a recipe for failure. Think of it as introducing a non-native predator into a habitat to control a population of critters. There are always unintended consequences.
I have not begun to touch on who benefits from these types of policies and how.
Lastly, I don't know that Paul is the only candidate that supports the constitution. They all claim to. However, according to his voting record, he is indeed the best champion of it. Hamilton supported central banking, but Jefferson, Madison, and many others were opposed to it. Two central banks were killed in US history before the Fed came about.

Two last things that may or may not bother you.

The Federal Reserve act of 1913 was snuck through congress on christmas eve when most of the members were at home for the holiday. Wealthy bankers and industrialists, including JP Morgan and John D. Rockerfeller helped to draft the bill.

Some claim the 16th amendment was never fully ratified by a majority of states. I'm not sure about this one. However, I consider property an inalienable right along with life and liberty, and the assumption that the government owns all my income, and they allow me to keep a portion of it, is reprehensible to me. I'm perfectly fine with tariffs, consumption taxes, and other taxes that require voluntary participation.

danda
02-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Ron Paul is the Linux of Politicians.

I know this because I'm a big fan. Just like I also was an ardent supporter of OS/2 and later Linux. I always seem to go for what is technically better, but less popular.

Just like Linux is slowly but surely gaining ground because the underpinnings are better, so too will our freedom movement because our underlying principles are better.

mkeller
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks, Philmanoman! . . . but I was hoping for something more Linux specific. ;)

Anyone else? (and so y'all know I'm not just trying to get someone else to do my work for me - I'll try to write it myself, once I get enough time (which won't be till next week))