PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Presence at Iowa State Fair

Dave
08-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Like many of you, I listened to Ron Paul on Newsradio 1040 WHO this morning live at the fair with Jan Mickelson. The podcast will be posted here:

http://www.mickelson.libsyn.com/

I thought this interview was terriffic and Dr. Paul did a wonderful job. Except for news and commercials he was on for a whole hour!

The minute the interview ended my wife and kids headed down to the Fair in our Ron Paul shirts. We saw the Granny Warriors' big rig out in the parking lot and a few 4x8's set up in the back of pickups. When we got to the 'stump speech' area Duncan Hunter was speaking. I didn't pay any attention to him but it seemed like the crowd was small. There were lots of people standing around with big Ron Paul signs and t-shirts. We went up and visited with Carol Paul for several minutes - she's such a genuinely nice woman. I thanked her for how hard they are working traveling all over Iowa. She said it was hard work but they are having fun. She said all the support really energizes Dr. Paul.

I visited with several of the campaign staff and introduced them to my family. Then we got to have a nice visit with Dr. Paul and have a few pictures taken with him. He was really pleased with how things have been going on the Iowa trip and we talked about our high hopes for a good turnout in Ames Saturday. It's probably the longest conversation I've had with him and he was incredibly relaxed.

He got to give a 20-minute stump speech and had a nice crowd gathered around - including Josh from right here at the Forums. I got a great picture of a woman with a Duncan Hunter sticker on her shirt standing listening intently to Dr. Paul. He gave a nice speech that was well-received, though the volume was too low (It was the same for Hunter).

He left the Fair to go to the grand opening of the Iowa HQ downtown but my family stayed at the fair. We walked around for several hours with our Ron Paul shirts and got a lot of quizzical looks. We saw some Hunter and Brownback shirts around the grounds since both of those candidates were there today, too. It was unbelievably hot and humid and it's supposed to just keep getting hotter. The forecast has been raised to 95! It will be absolutely miserable in Ames Saturday. Think that will keep the Ron Paul faithful away? Not a chance!

The suprise was when we left. As we went out to the main parking lot what we saw was an ocean of cars with Ron Paul stuff on their windshields. I'm talking about thousands of cars! It was impressive. Some had DVDs, some had slim-jims, most had yellow sheets inviting them to Ames, some had glossy business cards about RP and the straw poll. Many cars had some combination of these things under a wiper, some with a piece of candy stapled to them. I don't know who did this but it was really a sight to behold.

A bunch of us volunteer 'captains' are meeting in Ames tonight (Ron Paul is in Cedar Rapids) with some of the campaign staff to have a 'dress rehearsal' for Saturday and make final plans for the big event. Everyone's pulse is quickening! Nobody can sleep. People who've never met each other are working hard together for our common cause and the energy and urgency are like nothing I've ever witnessed. The countdown begins...

beermotor
08-09-2007, 02:34 PM
all I can say is ...

LIFTOFF.

Johnnybags
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Is all I can say, roll on.

slantedview
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the report! It's great to hear about this stuff.

Hurricane Bruiser
08-09-2007, 02:58 PM
good to hear.

johnrocks
08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
My heart rate just went up 25%!!

FreedomLover
08-09-2007, 03:21 PM
I love your correspondences Dave, thanks.

Spirit of '76
08-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Awesome!

Keep up the great work, Iowa!

JosephTheLibertarian
08-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Thousands of cars? plural... I doubt many people ride alone ;)

kickzman
08-09-2007, 03:26 PM
We will win this war, march on Ron Paul nation!

belian78
08-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I cannot wait to be there on Saturday! I've never done anything like this in my life! (traveling 4 hrs by myself, or helping a presidential campaign) hearing all these reports coming out of IA makes me want to leave now, but alas, i cant. darn responsibilities.

Badger Paul
08-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Go baby! Go! Go! Go!

spacebetween
08-09-2007, 05:53 PM
How freakin' awesome, Dave.

Can't wait to hear how supportive the crowd is when he wins on Saturday. hehe

amonasro
08-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Awesome news, I always look foward to your updates Dave. Just think, things are only gonna get better!!!