PDA

View Full Version : So what happens to Romney, Thompson's Delegates Now?

fwaokda
02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
So what is to become of these delegates that were supposed to be for the candidates that dropped out? If someone knowledgeable on the topic could explain if they still show up and cast a vote for their candidates or are they forced to choose a candidate still running when the convention comes around?

What is the likely hood they'll vote for someone that isn't the main guy?

Thanks for your time! :D

Austin
02-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Romney still has his delegates, because he has not dropped out, only suspended his campaign. I believe the others are redistributed by the party leaders in the state.

nodope0695
02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
So, what is the difference between suspending a campaign, and dropping out? Does suspension just mean Romney is not going to tour around stumping?

coyote_sprit
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
So, what is the difference between suspending a campaign, and dropping out? Does suspension just mean Romney is not going to tour around stumping?

It's a fancy word for saying you don't think you'll win so you'll just sit on your ass and see what happens, your not dropping just yet.

sgrooms
02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
It's a fancy word for saying you don't think you'll win so you'll just sit on your ass and see what happens, your not dropping just yet.

NOT TRUE. In the DNC that would be the case, but the GOP/RNC looks at suspending your campaign the same as dropping out.

Austin
02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
NOT TRUE. In the DNC that would be the case, but the GOP/RNC looks at suspending your campaign the same as dropping out.

Proof?

sgrooms
02-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Romney suspends campaign vs. dropping out
Posted: 12:20 PM ET

WASHINGTON (CNN) Suspending a campaign has a different meaning depending on the party.

On the Republican side, decisions on how to allocate delegates is left to the state parties.

On the Democratic side, a candidate who "suspends" is technically still a candidate, so he or she keeps both district and statewide delegates won through primaries and caucuses. Superdelegates are always free to support any candidate at any time, whether the candidate drops out, suspends or stays in.

National party rules say that a candidate who "drops out" keeps any district-level delegates he or she has won so far but loses any statewide delegates he or she has won.

Full Story

sgrooms
02-07-2008, 06:37 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/02/07/romney-suspends-campaign-vs-dropping-out/

Austin
02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/02/07/romney-suspends-campaign-vs-dropping-out/

Thanks, that's all I needed.

kirkblitz
02-07-2008, 06:50 PM
if the state parties decide then they will all probably go to mccain :(

sgrooms
02-07-2008, 06:52 PM
if the state parties decide then they will all probably go to mccain :(

exactly. i don't want to seem too negative, but the GOP could have their nominee by tomorrow.

rmholla
02-07-2008, 07:17 PM
I think it is time to dig in and research the actual state rules regarding this. I want to see the actual rules, there is far too much misinformation being passed around right now.

I'm sure every state has different rules on this.

-

ambiguousscion
02-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Agreed, where's that DC guy when you need him...

spudea
02-07-2008, 07:30 PM
exactly. i don't want to seem too negative, but the GOP could have their nominee by tomorrow.

maybe they will finally realize ron paul is their only hope, and RP gets all of Romney's delegates :)

doronster195
02-07-2008, 07:33 PM
How about giving RP the delegates Romney got in the states he got 2nd place in?

literatim
02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Romney suspends campaign vs. dropping out
Posted: 12:20 PM ET

WASHINGTON (CNN) Suspending a campaign has a different meaning depending on the party.

On the Republican side, decisions on how to allocate delegates is left to the state parties.

On the Democratic side, a candidate who "suspends" is technically still a candidate, so he or she keeps both district and statewide delegates won through primaries and caucuses. Superdelegates are always free to support any candidate at any time, whether the candidate drops out, suspends or stays in.

National party rules say that a candidate who "drops out" keeps any district-level delegates he or she has won so far but loses any statewide delegates he or she has won.

Full Story

Completely false. Only with certain states with bound delegates do their delegates get shifted around. Many states, national delegates haven't even been selected and these people are unbound and can vote any way they want.

People really need to stop listening to MSM.

The New Revere
02-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Completely false. Only with certain states with bound delegates do their delegates get shifted around. Many states, national delegates haven't even been selected and these people are unbound and can vote any way they want.

People really need to stop listening to MSM.

Exactly we all need to find when delegate selection is going on in our state and sway the uncomitted as well as replace ones that left when thier candidate dropped.

kmj.ronpaul
02-07-2008, 10:04 PM
>> Exactly we all need to find when delegate selection is going on in our state and sway the uncomitted as well as replace ones that left when thier candidate dropped.

How can we determine the identities of these soon-to-be-ex-Romney delegates? I know that in some states, the specific individuals who will be delegates haven't been determined yet... but for those who are actual individuals who had been bound to Romney, how can we determine their identities?

People in states that have already had primaries... any input here? Can someone create a website to organize all of this info? We need to start working on all of the Romney delegates we can find, NOW. I believe that these delegates' identities are a matter of public record, correct?

Apologies if these thoughts have already been expressed elsewhere on RPF.

GoDrNo
02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
check the state GOP website... I know that the MI delegates that were pledged to Romney are now officially "uncomitted". Our county conventions were held tonight and a lot of delegates who were pro Romney did not show, so to fill the empty delegate spots to the state convention they accepted people as delegates right on the spot. These new delegates are now allowed to go to the state convention and vote.

Steveco
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
How about giving RP the delegates Romney got in the states he got 2nd place in?

If we got the delegates in states were paul was second to romney Mcain would get the delegates in states were he was second to romney, that would probably give hime the 1191

fedup100
02-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Read this to fully understand how these delegates work....

PLEASE READ THE EMAILS BELOW TO UNDERSTAND WHY WE CAN WIN. THE FOLLOWING LINK IS ALSO A GOOD READ. PLEASE GO TO YOUR CAUCUS AND BECOME A DELEGATE. Thanks for all you are doing to save our country!

The Strategy is Working... A Must Read...
http://ron-paul-campaign.blogspot.com/2008/02/super-tuesday-winner.html
----- Original Message -----
Becoming a delegate takes less time than it does to read the following:

PEOPLE PLEASE READ THIS SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THAT WE CAN WIN THE NOMINATION AND STOP LISTENING TO THE MSM FOR YOUR INFO!
Posted February 6th, 2008 by SGP

I hope someone will put this on the front page so it doesn't get lost.

The MSM is not reporting how to become the nominee in a situation like this so i will tell you to stop gettin g your info from the MSM.

I know many of you are bummed about yesterday BUT THAT IS BECAUSE YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THE ELECTION SYSTEM WORKS : Let me explain to you the reality of how to become the nominee.

First stop looking at who wins each states popular vote for most of these states the vote by the people is really nothing but a straw poll and have no real bearing on who will become the nominee. The only way this matters i s if 1 person receives 1192 delegates that are bound by state rules to be commited to that candidate. So if a candiate like Mccain has 600 delegates now and he doesn't reach 1192 most of the delegates the state awarded him mean nothing and keep in mind in most of the states most of the people that represent the 600 for Mccain are actually Ron Paul supporters. NOW there is no possible way that anyone in the race can achieve this goal now because of the major split in state wins by the candidates.

So what happens now you ask? You look at the number of delegates that Dr. Paul has that are uncommited to the other candidates and will support him. these delegates are not decided by the popular vote ie: straw poll of the people. Since no one will have enough delegates to skate them through to the nomination we now must look at how many delegates NOT VOTES but delegates Dr. Paul has that are 100% uncommited to the other candidates and will be 100% for Dr. Paul and are free to vote for whom they wish.

This race will go all the way to the convention for there is no other way for someone to receive the nomintaion untill the convention.

The RNC will convene its annual Winter Meeting - and voters will continue to cast their ballots in the nation's primaries and caucuses. Candidates for delegate and alternate delegate to the convention will be elected - and thousands of convention participants and guests will begin planning their trips to Minneapolis-Saint Paul The first week in September 2008

SO WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN?

This means that all of the people that registered to become a deligate for Dr. Paul can go to the convention and cast thier vote for Dr. Paul, now think about what i just said : Do you think for one second that all the people that voted for Dr. Paul and filed to become a deligate will not show up at the convention to vote for the good Doctor? Of course they will just like they battled the rain and the sleet and the 15 below zero winter weather to knock on doors and wave signs spreading our message.

Now i assure you that even though we didn't win the popular vote in many states WE DID PICK UP THE MAJORITY OF DELEGATES THAN ALL THE OTHER CANDIDATES IN MOST EVERY STATE EXCEPT A FEW. So yes they won the straw poll and we won what counts which is delegates.

Doesn't Dr. Paul need to WIN 5 states to be on the ballot at the convention for the nomination?

NO THIS IS NOT TRUE for people were just confused on how it actually works.

We only need the majority of delegates from 5 states to be put on the ballot NOT THE POPULAR VOTE OF 5 STATES and i assure you we have picked up the majority of uncommitted delegates for Dr. Paul in more than 5 states.

Do any of you remember seeing posts by myself and many others that said BECOME A DELEGATE? There is still time in most states to become a delegate for the convention and we are picking up more of them every day.

So please STOP you worry too much because you do not understand how the election system works and you thought we lost didn't you?

The fact is Dr. Paul is a genius in his strategy and we are further ahead in delegates than you think and we can win the nomination.

I hope this gives a better understanding of how we have been winning even though most of you thought we were not.

NOW LET'S KEEP WORKING!

Dr. Steve Parent

--
This message was sent by Stuart Grant (boulder@dccnet.com) from The Bellingham Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group.
To learn more about Stuart Grant, visit his/her member profile

ziggrl
02-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Every state is different. And Dems and Repubs are different too. I'm in Michigan where Romney got the majority. I was at the Republican County Convention tonight and his delegates are "undecided". It could go either way, but it was pressed that the Republican party should not be divided. Romney supporters were there voting to be State delegates. Where there vote is going, I don't know. All I know is that I am going to be there in Lansing next weekend.

Steveco
02-07-2008, 10:37 PM
from my experience we received close to the majority of delegates in my part of colorado, and the majority of alternets, I am hoping a lot of the romney delegates don't show up that give us more rp delegates via the alternets