PDA

View Full Version : I Just Wussed Out on my Meetup!

BuddyRey
02-07-2008, 05:52 PM
We were supposed to go to the county GOP meeting tonight, but I just couldn't. I feel really guilty about it, but I have Republican Party Agoraphobia.

I kept having these Kubrickian nightmare visions of being pelted with unripened nectarines by men with crewcuts and perfect posture, all of them furiously admonishing me to "get lost, hippie!"

I feel seriously crappy right now.

tomveil
02-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Then go.

Paulitical Correctness
02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Strength in numbers - you just made the rest of your group feel crappy too.

FreedomProsperityPeace
02-07-2008, 05:54 PM
*throws nectarine*

Shame on you, hippie!

Phantom
02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Just go, tell them you had car trouble or something but you have to go. The revolution needs you to go.

BuddyRey
02-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Somehow I knew it was a mistake to seek solace for my miserable self on these boards. :D

beachmaster
02-07-2008, 05:57 PM
We were supposed to go to the county GOP meeting tonight, but I just couldn't. I feel really guilty about it, but I have Republican Party Agoraphobia.

I kept having these Kubrickian nightmare visions of being pelted with unripened nectarines by men with crewcuts and perfect posture, all of them furiously admonishing me to "get lost, hippie!"

Go man Go! We went to our local GOP Executive meeting last week, the night before our primary and we made up over 2/3rds of the people in attendance... closer to HALF! They were very nice to us by the way! lol

Edit to add: By the way, I have long hair, and another of our group does too.. just don't dress like a hippie (tie hair back, wear a sport coat, etc.) and don't act like a hippie.. trust me, they won't call you a hippie!

brandon
02-07-2008, 05:58 PM
haha, I went to an establishment republican party at a high class bar on super tuesday. I went with a friend from my meetup to collect ballot access signatures. It was a truly horrifying experience. I dressed up nice, shaved, had a good haircut, and I still stuck out like a sore thumb. They all knew I was different. I was more alive, I moved too much and had spoke too dynamically. I had the pleasure of talking with plenty of hannity listeners, guiliani recluses, and romneyites.

It was excruciatingly uncomfortable.

ronpaulhawaii
02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Go Go Go :D

bcreps85
02-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Just do it man. Mostly I am the same way, but during this I just say fuck it and do it, and for the most part get positive results.

Think about the principles that you are standing for and it will give you courage.

mavtek
I feel dirty after I go to a Republican meeting too, that is just the way it is. That's why we have showers. :)

FreeTraveler
Somehow I knew it was a mistake to seek solace for my miserable self on these boards. :D
I just hope you're not still here. You're in trouble if we hear from you in the next two hours, unless it's to say "I'm on my way!" :D

Jeremy
02-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Remember that we're the true republicans. If they don't like us, they don't like Reagan.

Deborah K
02-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Is there still time? If so, go man go! You will be accepted, trust me!

Paulitical Correctness
02-07-2008, 06:03 PM

Massive cojones for honesty, though! :D

gornandez@yahoo.com
02-07-2008, 06:04 PM
dude, if you still have time.... GO! Do it, get the 'them and us'' stuff out of your head. You are probly 2x more badass that any republican there. Bring some nectarines

Cleaner44
02-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Go now if there still is time. Go will be glad that you did.

BuddyRey
02-07-2008, 06:05 PM
I feel dirty after I go to a Republican meeting too, that is just the way it is. That's why we have showers. :)

I don't have any hot water! :(

...So, I probably smell like a hippie too. :D

seapilot
02-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Go now if you havent already. You will feel better about it afterwards. If you dont go we will commandeer your avatar.

goldstandard
02-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Go, hippie.:)

BuddyRey
02-07-2008, 06:08 PM
haha, I went to an establishment republican party at a high class bar on super tuesday. I went with a friend from my meetup to collect ballot access signatures. It was a truly horrifying experience. I dressed up nice, shaved, had a good haircut, and I still stuck out like a sore thumb. They all knew I was different. I was more alive, I moved too much and had spoke too dynamically. I had the pleasure of talking with plenty of hannity listeners, guiliani recluses, and romneyites.

It was excruciatingly uncomfortable.

I just know that would have happened to me. The trouble with me isn't that I don't look "conservative"....it's just that I'm too young and I have a baby face (I look well below voting-age, in fact). It would be impossible for them not to know that I'm "new blood", and, as we all know, new blood in the Republican Party is pretty much de facto Ron Paul blood.

jm1776
02-07-2008, 06:12 PM
One of our lady meetup members showed up at our last Republican Committee meeting wearing peace sign pants. :D

Everyone got a kick out of it! (especially us)

LandonCook
02-07-2008, 06:14 PM

I'm 19 and becomeing Chairman over my county party... and you cant attend?

olehounddog
02-07-2008, 06:15 PM
GO!!! be you, and don't worry about it. Their S@#t stinks to.

DahuiHeeNalu
02-07-2008, 06:17 PM

So you gave up on FREEDOM...

Mark
02-07-2008, 06:19 PM

The County Sheriff spoke at my delegate meeting and I went - I wore a suit coat and tie though.

People walked in late all night.

How about actually going instead writing on the forum and also not making the board think people in North Carolina are wussies.

Or just go away -

if you don't have the guts to go to a meeting, you should just hang up your Revolutionary hat and wait for the train to come take you to a camp.

BuddyRey
02-07-2008, 06:22 PM

Wow....

I'd like to rebut that somehow, but I've got nothing. :eek:

Way to go, man!

Jesubub
02-07-2008, 06:26 PM

If you only knew it was a mistake to wuss out. Paul Revere had the same ''testicular'' problem, so his buddies strapped him to a horse and stuck a flaming stick in the horse's ass.

Mark
02-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Wow....

I'd like to rebut that somehow, but I've got nothing. :eek:

Way to go, man!

AWAY you go man! Step away from the computer and GO TO THE MEETING.

beachmaster
02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Just slap on a Ron Paul button, bust in the place like you own it, and say "Step aside old timers... we're taking over from here... don't you think you've done enough damage?".

Then ask where you need to sign up to be on the executive board, pay your dues, and let them know at the end of the evening... I'LL BE BACK (with even MORE friends!)!"

thehittgirl
02-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Go! I love what Sematary had said yesterday. Some of us had to swallow bile when we joined the Republican party. Boy that's sure right for me. But think of Ron...the TRUE republican and representing what it should be...not what it's been turned into.

amy31416
02-07-2008, 06:32 PM

These boards can be a harsh mistress, son. You will recover, and when you steel up and go for it, you'll feel much better.

I steeled myself today, got a bunch of materials and started soliciting it to some local businesses. I even went to our local co-op, I really wish I had a liberal-leaning slim-jim, but I left them with some "small-business" ones.

I'm running out of cash, I'll have to take a look at what I can print out to take to the hippie joints ;)

Gun show--check (they love chicks at gun places). You can be anyone but someone who wants to take away their guns ;)
GOP stuff--just dress like you're really uptight if you don't want to stick out. Listen well and show respect.
Hippie places--I fit in okay when I tell them that I was in academia for a while ;)
Churches--I feel real uncomfortable there as I haven't gone back to either a church or a synagogue since I was 13 except for weddings/funerals. So I don't even go.

Honestly, I don't fit in anywhere, but I try my best to understand the culture and always respect their beliefs. I find that I learn a lot.

Joe3113
02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
You better go to an extra one to make up for this one.

DirtMcGirt
02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
I was nervous about my first meetup but I took a chance and said regardless what happened it would be a learning experience... and you know what, I've been going to as many as I can since

amy31416
02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't have any hot water! :(

...So, I probably smell like a hippie too. :D

Think outside the box man!

SPONGE BATH!

We have any nurses here?

sharedvoice
02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
The Ron Paul revolution is not for the timid or faint of heart. Sometimes you have to step outside of your comfort-zone.

Jesubub
02-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey, I've been way out of my comfort zone many times throughout this whole campaign. I'll followed Paul's Congressional career since 2000 and could politely debate anyone into submission over a cup of coffee, but I'm afraid I'll throw up on people when I start canvassing for the first time this weekend. I live in a very leftist precinct and will probably have to wrest control of the delegate convention from an established GOP hack while having no experience and little help. Those insecurities won't stop me from doing it all.

I have the same self-consciousness about my appearance (http://www.meetup.com/members/4177295/photos/) clashing with conservative ideals because I haven't cut/shaved a strand of hair in 2.5 years.

Revolution9
02-07-2008, 07:18 PM

Wow.. 19 I thought you were in your 30's with all the shit you laidon yerself:D

Best Regards
Randy

Soccrmastr
02-07-2008, 07:32 PM
It's people like BuddyRey and other uncommitted people that is the reason we are losing. If we lose it is people who are uncommitted, it's their fault. We have the numbers, but not quite the support.

Mark
02-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey, I've been way out of my comfort zone many times throughout this whole campaign. I'll followed Paul's Congressional career since 2000 and could politely debate anyone into submission over a cup of coffee, but I'm afraid I'll throw up on people when I start canvassing for the first time this weekend. I live in a very leftist precinct and will probably have to wrest control of the delegate convention from an established GOP hack while having no experience and little help. Those insecurities won't stop me from doing it all.

I have the same self-consciousness about my appearance (http://www.meetup.com/members/4177295/photos/) clashing with conservative ideals because I haven't cut/shaved a strand of hair in 2.5 years.

Way to go! It's not easy, but the longer one hesitates, the harder it gets.

And I haven't cut a stand of hair since 1989. About 19 years now. But, there's a Spiritual reason for me. Numbers Chapter six explains it a bit.

flames2dust77
02-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Gooooooooooooooooooooo! you can do eeeeeeeeet! C'mooooooooon.

BuddyRey
02-07-2008, 08:15 PM
It's people like BuddyRey and other uncommitted people that is the reason we are losing. If we lose it is people who are uncommitted, it's their fault. We have the numbers, but not quite the support.

You can be excused for making a statement like that without actually knowing me, and I don't hold it against you, but please understand that if you did know me, you would understand how thoroughly erroneous and off-the-mark your accusation is.

I'm a Precinct Leader, very nearly maxed-out, and a walking Ron Paul billboard-slash-street preacher. I get all my news via these forums, get high on Ron Paul YouTubes like each one was a philosophical psilocybin shroom (figuratively speaking, of course). I eat, breathe, live, and will eventually die a Ron Paul Revolutionary.

My one weakness.....my one hellaciously insurmountable weakness......is that I have zero self-confidence when I'm in "grown-up" settings, because I don't think anybody will take me seriously. I mean, would you take this guy seriously if you saw him at a Republican Party meeting?

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/Buddy-Rey/BuddyReyChill.jpg

Those guys would sniff me out in seconds flat. This is NOT the face of a Mike Huckabee supporter! This is the face of someone who would presumably vote Nader *once old enough to vote at all.*

I guess I shouldn't worry yet. I'll save the real trepidation for when this face has to grace countless campaign fliers during my run for Congress in two years. :eek: :D

Philmanoman
02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
not bad at all dude...

just comb your hair!!!...if you feel like it :eek:...and put on some conservative lookin threads n get out there.

Mark
02-07-2008, 08:25 PM
You can be excused for making a statement like that without actually knowing me, and I don't hold it against you, but please understand that if you did know me, you would understand how thoroughly erroneous and off-the-mark your accusation is.

I'm a Precinct Leader, very nearly maxed-out, and a walking Ron Paul billboard-slash-street preacher. I get all my news via these forums, get high on Ron Paul YouTubes like each one was a philosophical psilocybin shroom (figuratively speaking, of course). I eat, breathe, live, and will eventually die a Ron Paul Revolutionary.

My one weakness.....my one hellaciously insurmountable weakness......is that I have zero self-confidence when I'm in "grown-up" settings, because I don't think anybody will take me seriously. I mean, would you take this guy seriously if you saw him at a Republican Party meeting?

Those guys would sniff me out in seconds flat. This is NOT the face of a Mike Huckabee supporter! This is the face of someone who would presumably vote Nader *once old enough to vote at all.*

I guess I shouldn't worry yet. I'll save the real trepidation for when this face has to grace countless campaign fliers during my run for Congress in two years. :eek: :D

Okay, you're excused.. maybe consider this a practice "run through" for next time.

If you haven't noticed yet, a lot of the grown ups running things like Rep Party meetings are idiots.

But, that doesn't matter, personally I would be VERY impressed if I saw you there.

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! Then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! You'll KNOW the truth!! :)

amy31416
02-07-2008, 08:31 PM

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/Buddy-Rey/BuddyReyChill.jpg

You, have a beautiful face. Will they sniff you out, possibly ignore you? Maybe. Scoff at you because you're young? Possibly.

You will be the one who is learning their ways and their weaknesses of spirit. Those who judge you are not the real Republicans. For instance, take a look at Dr. Paul, compare him to Mitt Romney just strictly based on superficial appearances alone. Mitt Romney in his expensive suits with his fabulous hair and his fortunes backing him.

Who has the more substantial message? Who is still standing because of people like me and you? Who stands out for all the right reasons?

The guy that you support. The guy that I support. The message that all of us support.

Dr. Paul has stood up to many of these Republicans who mock him or brush him off as "kooky," "quirky" or whatever else. We all know that he is the true statesman, he is the catalyst and the inspiration to move thousands and thousands of people with a message alone. There are no expensive suits, there are no high-level connections or demagoguery. This guy is real.

You are real for having the guts to reveal your fears and confront them. We have all had to do that, and it is how you learn and respond in the future that matters to you. It's what you take away from this experience.

Give them the benefit of the doubt. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt. This is a very different republican race than we have ever seen. We have already succeeded in spreading this amazing message to so many people.

I, for one, am profoundly changed by it. I think you are too.

Chin up, soldier. You're far more aware of yourself than the majority of those your age. Always know that and always seek the truth.

ckhagen
02-07-2008, 08:59 PM

Oh man, you think you feel dirty...
My REC meeting was tonight and in the next room was Karl Rove waiting to do his H&C interview. I may as well have rolled around in pig urine that's how dirty I felt.

Jesubub
02-07-2008, 09:18 PM
If this guy can teleconference with the GOP, you can rub elbows with those old folks:

http://ronpaulforprez.com/BabyGOP.JPG

BuddyRey
02-07-2008, 09:21 PM
If this guy can teleconference with the GOP, you can rub elbows with those old folks:

http://ronpaulforprez.com/BabyGOP.JPG

Major ROTFL's!!! :D:D:D

Reminds me of that eTrade ad they played during the Super Bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4GZfvXx9Js

lastnymleft
02-07-2008, 11:18 PM
BuddyRey,

Organize yourself a travel-buddy from your meetup to collect you for the next meeting. Arrange it NOW, and write it in stone as "happening". The longer you leave it to arrange, the more likely you will wuss out again. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get someone willing to do this for you.